Community Shield Opta Facts - 8 Aug
Community Shield 2010 - Chelsea v Manchester United
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
- Since the creation of the Premier League in 1992/93, only six of the 18 Community Shield winners have gone on to win the League title itself.
- However, four of the winners in the Community Shield over the past five seasons have won the Premier League crown in the same campaign.
- The last eight Community Shields have involved either Chelsea or Manchester United.
- The last three Community Shield matches have been decided by a penalty shoot-out.
- Since 1992/93, these two sides have competed in four Community Shield matches with United coming out on top twice and Chelsea twice.
- United have competed in 13 of the previous 18 Community Shield matches during the Premier League era, compared to the six that Chelsea have been involved in.
- The Blues came out on top against United in all three meetings last season: two league wins and a penalty shoot-out victory in the Community Shield.
- The last three cup ties between the sides have been won following a penalty shootout - Manchester United in the Champions League Final in May 2008 and Community Shield in August 2007, whilst Chelsea won the 2009 Community Shield on spot-kicks.
- The last three Community Shield victories that United have secured have come following a penalty shootout. In fact, United have not managed to win in any of their last 10 Community Shield matches in normal time.
- The Red Devils have won more Community Shield (formally charity shield) titles outright than any other side - 13 - sharing the trophy on four occasions.
- Chelsea have won three Community Shield/Charity Shield ties - in 1955, 2000, 2005.
- Didier Drogba has scored six goals in his seven appearances at the ‘new' Wembley stadium. The Community Shield match last year is the only time he hasn't found the net there.
- Should he play, this will be Ryan Giggs' 13th Community Shield match. Since his United debut he has played in all but one of their games in the competition, missing out in 1999.