FA Cup Round 3 Opta Facts - 8-10 January
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Burnley v Port Vale
- Burnley and Port Vale have met four times in the FA Cup and both sides have won through to the next round on two occasions with only one going to a replay.
- Burnley have only lost one of their last 12 FA Cup matches at Turf Moor.
- Port Vale have won none of their last 11 away matches in the 3rd Round or later.
- Burnley haven't lost a home FA Cup tie at home to a lower division side since they were knocked out in 1997 by Rotherham United.
- The Clarets have conceded seven goals in their last three home games and haven't kept a clean sheet at Turf Moor since October 19th.
- Vale have lost their last three away league games without scoring.
Coventry City v Crystal Palace
- Coventry and Crystal Palace have only ever met once in the FA Cup, their first ever game in January 1908 which saw Palace win 4-2 away at the Sky Blues.
- Darren Ambrose has scored three goals in his last three matches against Coventry.
- Palace have won eight and lost just one of their last 12 meetings with Coventry in all competitions.
- Palace have won four and lost none of their five trips to the Ricoh Arena.
- In the last four seasons of the FA Cup, Coventry have been knocked out at the Ricoh Arena.
- Coventry have lost two and drawn one of their last three home games.
- Managerless Palace haven't won any of their last seven away league games, losing six and drawing one.
Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday
- Sheffield Wednesday have won none of the last seven meetings with Bristol City.
- Nicky Maynard scored in both league meetings with the Owls last season.
- The last time these two sides met in the FA Cup was in the 3rd Round in 1999-2000, with Wednesday winning 1-0 at Hillsborough in a season when the 3rd Round was played before Christmas.
- The only other FA Cup meeting came in 1924 when City progressed after a replay.
- Wednesday's win over Southport in Round 1 ended a run of last 10 FA Cup matches away from home without a win for the Owls.
- Wednesday have not progressed beyond the FA Cup Third Round since 2001.
- The Robins have won five and drawn three of their last eight games at Ashton Gate in the Championship.
- The Owls have lost four of their last five matches in all competitions.
Fulham v Peterborough United
- Fulham and Peterborough's first ever meeting came in the 1958-59 FA Cup and the Whites went through with a 1-0 away win after drawing 0-0 at home.
- Peterborough have never lost away to Fulham in six visits, winning three and drawing three games.
- Peterborough have only ever won one FA Cup match against top flight opposition, when they beat Arsenal in 1964-65.
- The Posh have never kept a clean sheet against a top flight side in the FA cup in 25 games and have conceded an average of 2.5 goals per match.
- The Londoners' last FA Cupdefeat to lower league opposition came in 2006 when they lost 1-2 to Leyton Orient.
- Fulham's 3-0 victory over West Brom in midweek is their only home victory of the last six.
- Four of the Cottagers' last six goals have been scored by defenders (Baird (2), Hughes and Hangeland).
- Posh haven't kept a single clean sheet in their last 15 games in all competitions.
Doncaster Rovers v Wolverhampton Wanderers
- Wolves have won five and lost just one of their six matches against Doncaster.
- Rovers have failed to score in five of their six games against Wolves and the Wanderers have won the last three meetings 1-0.
- Wolves have won all three away games against Doncaster without conceding a goal.
- Doncaster's last FA Cup win against a top flight team came in 1985 when they beat QPR 1-0.
- Wolves have won four of their last six FA Cup ties away from home.
- Rovers have won four of their last five games at the Keepmoat Stadium.
Brighton & Hove Albion v Portsmouth
- Portsmouth have won their last six FA Cup ties away from home.
- The first ever meeting between Brighton and Portsmouth came in the FA Cup in 1912-13 with the Seagulls beating Pompey 2-1.
- Brighton have won three and lost one of the four FA Cup ties against Portsmouth including the last meeting in the 3rd Round in 1993.
- There hasn't been an away win in the last 13 meetings in all competitions between Brighton and Portsmouth.
- The Seagulls haven't lost at home in League One so far this campaign.
- Pompey have conceded exactly three goals in each of their last three matches.
Huddersfield Town v Dover Athletic
- Adam Birchall of Dover Athletic has scored 11 goals in six FA Cup matches this season.
- Huddersfield have only conceded eight goals in their last 16 FA Cup matches against non-league sides and never more than once in any of those games.
- Dover have scored 18 goals in six FA Cup matches this season, averaging three per game.
- Dover have already gone further in this season's FA Cup than they ever have before, their only previous appearance in the competition proper ending in the 1st Round in 2002-03.
- The Terriers have not drawn any of their last 12 home games, winning nine and losing three.
- Dover have scored 12 goals in their last three matches in all competitions.
Crawley Town v Derby County
- Derby haven't been knocked out in the FA Cup Third Round since 2004 when they lost to Ipswich Town.
- Derby have won two and drawn two of their last four FA Cup away games and won one of the drawn games on a penalty shoot out.
- All three of Crawley's wins to get to this stage have come away from home.
- Derby have won five and drawn one of their last six FA Cup matches against non-league teams.
- The Rams' 2-1 victory at Preston in their last away game ended a run of four consecutive away league defeats.
- Crawley have scored 14 goals in their last four home games in all competitions.
West Ham United v Barnsley
- West Ham and Barnsley have met twice in the FA Cup with one win apiece and the home side winning by a three-goal margin on each occasion.
- The Hammers have won their last three games against Barnsley.
- West Ham have only won one of their last five FA Cup ties at Upton Park but that was against Barnsley in the 3rd Round in 2008-09.
- Barnsley have only won one of their last 13 away FA Cup matches against top flight opposition.
- The Tykes have kept just one away clean sheet all season.
Reading v West Bromwich Albion
- Reading and West Brom met in last season's FA Cup with the Royals winning through to the quarter finals after a replay.
- West Brom won the first ever FA Cup meeting between the two sides in 1947-48, but the other two times have seen the first match drawn with Reading progressing after a replay.
- Reading and West Brom met four times last season with each side winning once and two games ending as draws.
- Jimmy Kebe scored in both FA Cup matches against West Brom last season.
- There has been at least one goal scored in the opening 10 minutes of each of the last five meetings between Reading and West Brom.
- The Royals haven't lost any of their last seven home games, drawing four and winning three.
- West Brom have lost their last five games.
- The Baggies have lost their last four away games, conceding eight and netting just one.
Arsenal v Leeds United
- Leeds are the only team to win away at Arsenal in the FA Cup in the Arsene Wenger era - back in February 1997.
- There have been exactly five goals scored in each of the last five matches between Arsenal and Leeds United.
- The Whites are unbeaten in their last three matches away to top flight opposition in the FA Cup
- The last four times Arsenal and Leeds have been drawn together in the FA Cup, the eventual winner of the tie has triumphed on their opponent's turf.
- Only one of the last seven matches between Leeds and Arsenal has ended as a home win and five were away victories.
- Arsenal have never lost to lower league opposition in the FA Cup under Arsene Wenger; in 22 ties they have only been taken to a replay five times.
- United's 12 game unbeaten run came to an end on Tuesday night when the Whites were defeated 1-2 at Cardiff.
Sheffield United v Aston Villa
- The last time the Blades met Villa in the FA Cup came in the 2004-05 3rd Round with Sheffield United emerging 3-1 winners.
- The two sides have met five times in the FA Cup with the Villans progressing on three of those occasions.
- United have progressed in three of their last four 3rd Round matches against top-flight opponents including a win over Villa in 2005.
- Villa's only defeat to non-top flight opponents in their last 11 FA Cup matches away from home came at Bramall Lane.
- John Carew has scored six goals in his last five FA Cup appearances, but four of those came from the penalty spot.
- In his career, the Norwegian has netted 11 goals in 10 appearances in the competition.
- The Blades have conceded 13 goals in their last four games.
Leicester City v Manchester City
- Manchester City played Leicester City in the 1969 FA Cup final, with the Citizens winning 1-0.
- Man City have prevailed on the last five occasions they have been drawn against the Foxes in the FA Cup.
- The last meeting between the two sides in the competition came in 2003-04 when Man City won 3-1 at the Walkers Stadium after a draw at the City of Manchester Stadium.
- Man City have won three and lost none of their last six away games against Leicester City.
- Only one of the last 10 meetings in all competitions between Man City and Leicester has ended as a home win.
- The Foxes have won four and drawn one of their last five games at the Walkers Stadium.
Bolton Wanderers v York City
- The first four games between Bolton and York were all FA Cup matches, the first a 2-0 win for Bolton in 1950-51 and the last a 2-0 win for York in 1970-71.
- The away side has never scored in the four FA Cup meetings between York and Bolton.
- York have only won one of their last 16 FA Cup matches against top flight opposition, a 1-0 win over Arsenal in 1984-85.
- Bolton haven't lost to a non-league side since 1911 when they were beaten by Chesterfield, since when they have won all 16 ties comprising 20 matches in total.
- York haven't conceded a goal in the FA Cup this season in four games.
- York have kept six clean sheets in their last eight games and have only conceded more than once on one occasion all season (in all competitions.)
Blackburn Rovers v Queens Park Rangers
- The last meeting between Blackburn and QPR came in the FA Cup back in 2005-06 when Rovers ran out 3-0 winners at Ewood Park, their only meeting in the competition.
- Rovers have only won two of their last eight FA Cup matches.
- QPR haven't won an FA Cup match since January 2001, since then they've lost nine and drawn five games, one of which they lost on penalties.
- QPR have failed to score in seven of their last nine matches against Blackburn.
- None of the starting 11 who lined up for Blackburn in January 2006's 3rd Round tie between Rovers and Rangers will play in this game.
- Rangers have won just one of their last seven league games away from Loftus Road.
Swansea City v Colchester United
- Swansea and Colchester have played three FA Cup games and earned one win apiece, each time by the side playing in the lower division at the time.
- Swansea have won six of the last nine meetings with Colchester and five of those were by a single-goal margin.
- No side has stopped Swansea from scoring in their last 10 FA Cup matches, but the Welsh side have only kept one clean sheet in the same period.
- Colchester haven't drawn an FA Cup match since 2004, a run of 17 games.
- The Swans have only found the net on more than one occasion in one of their last 12 league games; a 3-1 victory at Ipswich in December.
- The U's last two league games have each seen six goals.
Stevenage v Newcastle United
- Stevenage's win over AFC Wimbledon ended a run of nine FA Cup ties where they had not won a match outright in the competition proper.
- Newcastle have only won two of their last 11 FA Cup matches.
- Newcastle's last four FA Cup 3rd Round ties have gone to a replay.
- These two sides drew each other in the 1997-98 FA Cup 4th Round, with the Magpies progressing after a replay against the non-leaguers.
- Newcastle have won none of their last seven away matches in the FA Cup, failing to score in five of those.
- Stevenage have only won one of their last five league games at home.
Burton Albion v Middlesbrough
- Burton Albion have only lost one of their last eight home games in the FA Cup proper.
- Middlesbrough have only lost one of their last 22 matches against lower league opponents in the FA Cup.
- Boro have conceded exactly one goal in each of their 3rd Round matches (not including replays) in the last six seasons.
- Only two sides (Portsmouth and Preston) have kept fewer clean sheets than Middlesbrough in the Championship this campaign.
- Burton have won just one of their last five at home in the league.
Millwall v Birmingham City
- The only time Millwall have met Birmingham in the FA Cup came in 1956-57 when the Midlanders won 4-1 at the Den.
- Birmingham are unbeaten in their last seven matches in all competitions against the Lions and in their last four away trips to Millwall.
- Millwall haven't beaten top flight opponents in the FA Cup since they dumped Arsenal and then Chelsea out of the competition in 1995.
- Since then, Millwall have played eight FA Cup matches against top flight opposition without a single win.
- Millwall are unbeaten in their last 12 FA Cup matches on home soil, since losing to Southampton in 2003.
- The Lions are unbeaten in their last eight league outings.
- The Blues' 2-1 victory at Blackpool in midweek was their first away league win of the season.
- Birmingham have now conceded exactly one goal in five of their last six games (conceding three in the other.)
Southampton v Blackpool
- Southampton and Blackpool have been drawn together five times in the FA Cup and the losing side has scored exactly one goal on each occasion.
- All five times, the tie has been decided in Southampton, as the only match played in Blackpool (1953) ended as a draw.
- Southampton have won three of the five times the two sides have been drawn together including the last time they met in 1976 when Saints went on to win the trophy.
- The two meetings between Southamton and Blackpool at St Mary's have both ended 1-0, Saints winning in November 2007 and Blackpool in August 2008 in the Championship.
- Blackpool have won none of their last five FA Cup matches and lost the last four in a row.
- Southampton have won six of their last seven FA Cup games.
- The Saints have won seven of their last nine league games at St Mary's.
- Blackpool striker DJ Campbell has now found the net four times in his last four games.
- The Tangerines have taken more league points away from home than Chelsea and Manchester United this campaign.
Watford v Hartlepool United
- This will be the second FA Cup meeting between Watford and Hartlepool. The only previous tie, played in Round Two of the 1951/52 competition, was won by Hartlepool (2-1 at Watford).
- The Hornets have, however, won three of their last four clashes with Pool, although the last meeting came back in 1978.
- Watford have conceded 19 goals in their last seven FA Cup matches.
- Hartlepool haven't defeated a team from the second tier of English football in the FA Cup since 1978, when the then Fourth Division outfit beat Second Division Crystal Palace 2-1 in Round Three.
- The Hornets have won their last five league games.
- Hartlepool's 0-3 reverse at Notts County in their last away outing ended a run of three consecutive league away wins.
Chelsea v Ipswich Town
- Chelsea haven't conceded more than one goal in an FA Cup match in their last 20 games and have kept five clean sheets in their last six matches.
- Chelsea have lost just one of their last 24 FA Cup matches.
- The Londoners are unbeaten in the competition at Stamford Bridge since losing a 6th Round replay against Arsenal in 2003.
- Ipswich have been drawn to play Chelsea three times in the FA Cup, all at Stamford Bridge and have lost each time.
- The last time Ipswich met Chelsea in the FA Cup was in the 4th Round in 2009 when goals from Ballack (2) & Lampard secured a 3-1 win over Town.
- Ipswich have won just one of their last nine league games.
Sunderland v Notts County
- These sides have been previously drawn together five times in the FA Cup, with the first meeting coming in 1891. Sunderland have progressed four times, County once (in 1891),
- The Magpies have won four of their last five meetings with Sunderland, although they have only won one of their last 12 trips to Wearside in all competitions.
- Sunderland have only lost one of their last nine FA Cup ties at home.
- County have won six of their last eight FA Cup ties.
- The Magpies defeated Premier League opposition last season. After drawing 2-2 at home, the then League Two side won 2-0 in the replay at the DW Stadium to eliminate Wigan.
- The Magpies have won four of their last five league games.
Scunthorpe United v Everton
- Scunthorpe and Everton have never met in the FA Cup, their only two games coming in the League Cup where the Toffees won both legs, scoring six and conceding none on aggregate.
- Scunthorpe have won none of their last 13 FA Cup matches against top flight opposition and lost the last 10 in a row.
- Everton have only lost one of their last eight FA Cup matches against lower league opponents.
- Everton have only won two of their last eight FA Cup away games.
- The Iron have lost their last six league games at Glanford Park, and are without a win in nine home league games.
Manchester United v Liverpool
- Liverpool have only won three of the 15 FA Cup matches against Manchester United and only one of the last 10, but that victory was in the last meeting (the 2006 FA Cup semi-final).
- The last four times Manchester United and Liverpool have met in FA Cup (1985, 1999, 2006 and obviously the 1996 final), the winners have gone on to win trophy.
- Man Utd have won six and lost one of their last seven matches against Liverpool at Old Trafford.
- Steven Gerrard has scored three goals in his last three games against United.
- Fernando Torres has scored three goals in the last four meetings with Man Utd.
- Nemanja Vidic has been sent off in three of his last five games against Liverpool.
- There have been six red cards in the last eight matches between Man Utd and Liverpool.
- United have won their last seven home league games.
- Bulgarian Dimitar Berbatov has scored seven times in his last four appearances at Old Trafford.
Hull City v Wigan Athletic
- Hull and Wigan have been drawn together twice in the FA Cup, with the Latics winning both games including a 4-1 success at the DW Stadium last season.
- Wigan have won three and lost only one of the last five matches against Hull City in all competitions.
- Hull have won none of their last six matches against teams from higher divisions in the FA Cup, losing five and drawing just one.
- Hull haven't beaten top flight opposition in the FA Cup when they themselves have been out of the top flight since 1973 when they beat West Ham.
- Wigan haven't made it past Round 4 since 1987.
- No side have scored fewer goals at home in the Championship this season than Hull (nine - joint with Scunthorpe,) but only Swansea (five) have conceded fewer at home then the Tigers (six).
Stoke City v Cardiff City
- Stoke have been drawn against Cardiff twice before in the FA Cup and have won both ties on home soil, the last coming in January 1987.
- Stoke have won three and lost none of the last four meetings with the Bluebirds.
- Ricardo Fuller has scored in the last two home games for Stoke against Cardiff.
- Cardiff have only won one of their last 10 matches in the FA Cup against top flight opposition.
- The Potters have only won one of their last four home games, losing two and drawing the other.
- Cardiff have lost their last four away games in the Championship.
Tottenham Hotspur v Charlton Athletic
- Spurs and Charlton have been drawn together in the FA Cup three times with Spurs winning all three ties, one after a replay.
- Tottenham have won the last four matches against Charlton.
- Ledley King played in the last FA Cup meeting against Charlton when Spurs went 0-2 down before coming back to win 4-2 in Round 4 in 2001.
- Spurs have lost just three of their last 32 FA Cup matches at White Hart Lane, two of those to Chelsea.
- Charlton have won only one of their last nine FA Cup matches against top flight opposition.
- The Addicks are undefeated in six away league games.
Preston North End v Nottingham Forest
- Preston and Nottingham Forest have faced each other six times in the FA Cup and there have been two wins for each team and two draws.
- In the six matches in the FA Cup between Preston and Forest, the away side has never scored a goal.
- Nottingham Forest have only won one of their last eight FA Cup matches away from home.
- Since their promotion to the Championship in 2000, Preston have won seven and drawn two of their ten FA Cup matches against teams from the same division.
- North End have lost four of their last six league games at Deepdale.
- Forest have scored 11 goals in their last four league games, although 10 of these were scored at the City Ground.
Norwich City v Leyton Orient
- Norwich have only won one of their last seven FA Cup matches.
- Leyton Orient scored six goals in extra time of their 2nd Round Replay to reach this stage, a record in the FA Cup for one team.
- Norwich and Orient have been drawn together twice with Norwich winning the first at Brisbane Road, while Orient triumphed at Carrow Road after a replay in 1978.
- Norwich and Orient met in League One last season where both matches ended as home wins.
- Scott McGleish has scored six goals in his last three FA Cup appearances.
- The Canaries have lost just one of their last seven league games at Carrow Road.
- Orient have lost just one of their last six league games; a 0-5 hammering at Brighton on New Years Day.
Torquay United v Carlisle United
- The last time that Torquay and Carlisle met was in League Two in a season where Carlisle won the league and Torquay avoided the drop partly due to a win against the Cumbrian side in the penultimate match of the season.
- Torquay have kept seven clean sheets in their last 10 FA Cup matches.
- Carlisle haven't made it beyond Round 3 since 1997.
- There have been 35 goals scored in the last seven matches between these two Uniteds in games played in Torquay.
- The Cumbrians have lost three and drawn one of their last four away league trips.
- Gulls striker Elliot Benyon has scored four goals in his last four league outings.