La Liga Opta Facts - Week 28
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
La Liga 2011-12
Athletic v Valencia
- Valencia have won on their last two league visits to Athletic by the same scoreline (2-1).
- The Basque side are without a win in their last six league meetings with Valencia (D1 L5).
- Los Che have scored in their last eight league games against Bilbao.
- There has not been a goalless draw between Athletic and Valencia at San Mamés since 1970/71.
- Bielsa's men are unbeaten in their last six league matches at home (W4 D2), their best run since April 2010 (nine games).
- Valencia have picked up seven points from a possible 18 away from home in 2012.
- Only Real Madrid (24) have scored in more LigaBBVA matches this season than Athletic and Valencia (23 each).
- Valencia and Athletic have dropped the joint-most points because of goals conceded in the last five minutes of league games this season (nine).
- The Basque side have scored the most headed goals in LigaBBVA this season (16).
- Only Maxi López of Milan (55) has committed more fouls without receiving a booking than Fernando Llorente (44) in Europe's top five leagues this season.
- Valencia have earned 13 points thanks to Soldado's 13 goals in the league this season, as many as Barcelona have thanks to Messi's 30.
Espanyol v Racing
- Espanyol have won just two of their last 13 league meetings with Racing, both by a score of 1-0 (D4 L7).
- Last weekend Espanyol ended their joint-poorest run of league games without a win this season (D4 L1).
- Racing are without a win in eight in the league (D4 L4) and have shipped four goals in each of their last two games on the road.
- On the two previous occasions that Racing had as few points as this (always assuming three points for a win) at this stage of the season they ended up being relegated (82/83, 00/01).
- Racing's last seven league goals at Espanyol have come in the second half.
- Last time out against Barcelona, Racing managed the fewest shots by a side in a LigaBBVA match this season (one).
- Racing are the joint-lowest scoring side in the league this season (with Zaragoza), scoring just once from outside the box.
- Espanyol have won all seven league games after opening the scoring at home this season.
- Racing have drawn the most games (5) after conceding first in the league this season.
- Espanyol have won all seven league games in which Sergio García has scored for them.
- The Catalan side have conceded the most penalties in LigaBBVA this season (six).
Getafe v Real Sociedad
- Getafe have lost just one of their last six league meetings with Real Sociedad (W2 D3).
- The azulones have only lost one of their four home meetings against the realistas in the top-flight (W3). However the defeat was their biggest-ever home reversal in the top-flight (0-4).
- Real Sociedad have scored seven goals and conceded none in their only two top-flight wins over Geta in Primera (3-0 in 05/06 and 0-4 in 10/11).
- The txuri-urdin have lost their last three matches in Madrid in LigaBBVA, conceding 11 goals and scoring only one.
- Getafe have drawn their last four league meetings with Basque sides (the last two 0-0) and are without a win in seven (D5 L2).
- El Geta are without a win in four at home in the league (D2 L2), and have never before gone five without a win on home turf in a single season in the top-flight.
- Real Sociedad have alternated between a win and a defeat in their last nine games.
- The Basque side have lost every away game after conceding first in LigaBBVA this season (five).
- Getafe have scored the fewest goals in the opening 15 minutes of league games this season (one).
- Agirretxe has scored eight goals in LigaBBVA this season, double the amount he had managed in his career in the top-flight with Real Sociedad before this (four).
Granada v Sporting de Gijón
- Sporting have never won on nine top-flight visits to Granada, managing just two draws and scoring only twice.
- Defeat for Granada would mean their worst run of league losses (four) since returning to the top-flight.
- Granada are yet to keep a clean sheet in seven league matches under Abel Resino.
- Granada and Sporting have been awarded the joint-fewest penalties in La Liga this season (1).
- Granada have scored the fewest goals from inside the area this season in La Liga (18), while their strikers are the lowest-scoring in the competition (eight).
- Only Real Madrid's substitutes (4) have scored more goals in away league games this season than Sporting's (3).
- Abel Resino won his only previous meeting with Sporting in La Liga 3-1 with Atlético in April 2009.
- Granada have lost both league matches with Pérez Lasa as referee this season.
Levante v Villarreal
- Levante have won their last two league games against Villarreal: the first time they have won back-to-back matches against another side from the Comunidad Valenciana in Primera.
- The granotas have lost all four matches at home to Villarreal in the top-flight, with the last two both ending 1-2.
- Villarreal have won six of their nine meetings with Levante in Primera (D1 L2).
- The yellow submarine have won more often at Levante in the top-flight (four times) than any other side from the Comunidad Valenciana (Valencia three, Elche one).
- Villarreal are the only side from the Comunidad Valenciana that Levante have never beaten at home in Primera (W3 vs Valencia, W1 vs Hércules and Elche).
- Only Real Zaragoza (eight) have picked up fewer points in La Liga since the turn of the year than Levante (nine).
- Brest (four) are the only side in Europe's top-five leagues to have scored fewer away goals this season than Villarreal (six).
- Levante have scored the most goals thanks to African players in La Liga this season (12), while Villarreal have conceded the joint-most (five) to players from this continent this season, including Koné.
- Nilmar's only brace away from home in the Spanish league came at the Ciutat de València (2-1 in 10/11).
Mallorca v Atlético de Madrid
- Mallorca have won just four league games against Atlético Madrid since the rojiblancos' return to the top-flight (W4 D7 L8).
- Atlético's 4-3 win on the island last season ended a run of six league visits without a win at Mallorca in Primera (D3 L3).
- Mallorca have lost their last three top-flight games at home to Madrid sides, but have never lost four in a row hosting sides from the capital.
- Joaquín Caparrós' men have won just one of their last five league matches (D2 L2) but have gone unbeaten in their last three at home (W2 D1).
- Atlético have have only won one of their last six league games (D4 L1) but are on a run of six matches unbeaten on the road: the last time they went longer than this without defeat away from home in a single season was in 96/97.
- Hemed and Falcao have both scored all five penalties taken this season in the league: only Ibrahimovic (6), Nenè (7) and Ronaldo (10) have taken more without missing in Europe's top-five leagues this season.
- Against Granada, Juanfran assisted a goal for the first time for Atlético since setting up one against Mallorca in 2010/11.
Rayo Vallecano v Real Betis
- Rayo have only won one of their seven top-flight matches at home to Betis (D2 L4).
- Only Real Zaragoza (12) have picked up fewer points at home in the league this season than Rayo (16).
- Rayo have only had as many points (34) after 26 matches in Primera on three previous occasions in Primera (78/79, 99/00, 00/01, always assuming 3pts/win).
- Only Athletic (92.9%) have scored a higher proportion of their goals thanks to Spanish players in Primera this season than Betis (77.4%) and Rayo (75.7%).
- The verdiblancos have won all four away matches in which they have opened the scoring on the road in the league this season.
- Real Betis and Rayo have used the most different players in the league this season (30).
- Only Barcelona (21) have hit the woodwork more often in LigaBBVA this season than Real Betis (18).
- Pepe Mel's side have picked up nine points thanks to goals scored in the last five minutes of league games this season, four more than any other side.
- Michu has bagged eight goals in his last 10 league games, having scored five in the first 15 games of this campaign.
- Tamudo is averaging more goals per game in the league this season (0.32) than any of his previous three campaigns.
Real Madrid v Málaga CF
- Real Madrid have never lost against Málaga CF in the league (refounded in 1992): W16 D5.
- Only Barcelona last season (71) have ever picked as many points after 26 games as Real Madrid this season in Primera (70, even assuming 3 pts/win).
- Real Madrid have scored 88 goals after 26 top-flight games, beating Valencia's record of 85 in 41/42. If they continue scoring as many goals/game (3.38/game) they will reach 128.6 at the end of the season, setting a new LigaBBVA record.
- The Andalucians have almost twice as many points (40) at this stage as they did last season (23).
- Real Madrid have won their last seven league matches at home to Málaga, scoring 23 and conceding six.
- Manuel Pellegrini's side have conceded at least four goals in each of their last three league meetings with the blancos, scoring just one in return.
- Málaga head to the Bernabéu on a run of three straight league wins.
- Real Madrid have won their last eight league games against sides from Andalucía, averaging 5.3 goals per game.
- Málaga have alternated a win and a defeat in their last 10 league games in Madrid: should this run continue they will lose this game.
- Salomón Rondón has scored scored in five of the last seven league matches in which Málaga have found the net.
- A goal against Málaga would equal Cristiano Ronaldo's best run of scoring in consecutive league matches (six).
- Cristiano has scored more league goals against Málaga than any other side (10 in five games).
Real Zaragoza v Osasuna
- Osasuna have won on three of their last four visits to Zaragoza in the top-flight (W3 L1).
- The maños are without a win in six against Osasuna in LigaBBVA (D1 L5).
- Osasuna have scored in all but one of their last 13 top-flight meetings with Zaragoza.
- Manolo Jiménez's side have won just one of their last eight league games at home (D2 L5).
- Osasuna have lost just one of their last six league games on the road (W1 D4).
- Wigan (-29) are the only side with a poorer goal difference than Real Zaragoza (-28) in Europe's top five leagues this season.
- The rojillos have scored just one goal thanks to a substitute in the league this season, fewer than any other team in La Liga.
- Osasuna have drawn the most away games in Primera this season (seven).
- Mendilibar's men have conceded the fewest goals in the opening 15 minutes of league games this season (2).
- Hélder Postiga has been caught offside more often than any other player in La Liga this season (41).
Sevilla v Barcelona
- Sevilla are the only side to have avoided defeat at the Camp Nou in the league this season.
- Sevilla are without a win in their last nine league meetings with the culés (D3 L6).
- A win in this match would be the first time Barça have won three on the road in the league this season.
- The nervionenses are the only side in La Liga currently unbeaten in their last two league meetings with Barcelona (D2).
- Michel's two defeats in the league this season have come when Sevilla have failed to score, and his two wins have come when they have scored twice.
- Barcelona have drawn four of the five league matches in which Fabregas has scored away from home in the league this season (the win was at the Bernabéu).
- Barcelona have kept the most clean sheets in La Liga this season (13).
- Sevilla have conceded the fewest goals in the first 15 minutes of the second half of league games this season (2).
- Only Cristiano Ronaldo (6) has scored more hat-tricks than Lionel Messi (5) in Europe's top five leagues this season.
- José Antonio Reyes has yet to score in the league since returning to Sevilla (10 games). In total he has gone 24 games without a goal (since Jornada 37 last season).
- Alexis Sánchez has scored eight goals in the league this season, though Barça would have the same number of points had he not scored any. No other player has scored as many goals without any of them being "useful".
- Sevilla have received seven red cards in their last 10 league meetings with Barcelona.