Spanish La Liga Opta Facts - 16-17 October
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Athletic Bilbao v Real Zaragoza
- Athletic have won only one of their last six league meetings with Real Zaragoza, losing two and sharing the points three times.
- Athletic are unbeaten at home in their last seven games with Zaragoza.
- However, the last three meetings between these two sides at the San Mames were draws.
- Zaragoza have scored only one goal in their last six visits to Athletic's ground in La Liga.
- The Basque side have won only one of their last five league games, losing the last two against Barcelona and Valencia.
- Real Zaragoza are winless in their last eight fixtures - four draws and as many defeats.
- Away from home, Zaragoza have picked up only one point from their last three league fixtures, failing to score in the process.
Atletico Madrid v Getafe
- Atletico Madrid have picked up only one point from their last three meetings with Getafe in La Liga, as result of a 1-1 draw in February 2009, before losing twice last season.
- The balance at the Vicente Calderon between these two sides is perfectly even: two wins for each and two draws, with the guests having the better in the last meeting last May.
- Atletico have scored one goal in each of their last four league games, enough for a win and a draw.
- At home, the Colchoneros have alternated wins and defeats over their last five league games.
- Getafe have won their last two games without conceding a single goal - the last time they won three in a row and kept three clean sheets in the process was between October and November 2007.
- Atletico currently have the best goals to shots ratio in this competition (19.2%).
Barcelona v Valencia
- Barcelona have drawn with Valencia 38 times in the top-flight, more than against any other opponent.
- Barcelona are unbeaten in their last six meetings with Valencia in La Liga: four wins for the Blaugrana and two draws.
- Valencia have failed to score in five of these fixtures, netting two at the Mestalla in April 2009.
- The Blaugrana are on a run of three consecutive wins at home against Valencia, in which they have scored an average of 4.3 goals per game.
- Barca have picked up only four points from their last three fixtures at home, scoring only two goals in the process.
- The last time they had as many points after the first six match-days was in 2008-09 and in 2003-04 (when they won their last domestic title).
- Valencia have not drawn in their last 10 league games away from home (six defetas and four wins).
- Five of Valencia's 11 goals this season have been scored in the first 15 minutes of play.
Deportivo La Coruña v Osasuna
- Deportivo have not scored more than a single goal in any of their last eight meetings with Osasuna in the league.
- Osasuna have failed to score in four of their last five meetings with Deportivo.
- Deportivo are still winless in this campaign, and are on a run of three consecutive defeats.
- At home, the Galicians have won only one of their last nine games.
- Osasuna have lost their last 11 games away from home in La Liga, failing to score on eight occasions.
- Deportivo are yet to score a goal in the first half this season in La Liga.
Hercules v Villarreal
- These two sides have met 13 times so far in all competitions: Hercules lead by nine wins to one, with three draws.
- However, this will be their first meeting in La Liga; the last time they met was in the Copa del Rey in September 2002, and the team from Alicante won 2-1.
- Hercules have a record of two defeats and a win at home in the top-flight - the win against Sevilla was their first on their home soil in La Liga.
- After losing against Real Sociedad in the opening game of this campaign, Villarreal have notched up five consecutive wins, including the two away at Levante and Malaga.
- Last season they had only three points after the first six match-days of La Liga, while two seasons ago the Yellow Submarine were joint-top on 16 points from the opening six fixtures.
- Villarreal have been the most prolific side before half time so far in this campaign (10 goals scored).
- Brazilian striker, Nilmar is currently La Liga's top-scorer with five goals.
Levante v Real Sociedad
- This will be the fifth meeting between these two sides in La Liga: Levante lead by two wins to one, although Real Sociedad won their last meeeting, in March 2007.
- Levante have won only one of their last 13 games in the top-flight, and have drawn their last two with Real Madrid and Osasuna.
- Levante have not scored more than a single goal over their last six league fixtures.
- Levante have picked up only two points from their last five La Liga games at home.
- Last Saturday's win against Espanyol ended a run of three consecutive defeats for Real Sociedad in La Liga.
- Away from home, Real Sociedad have picked up only one point in three fixtures this season (2-2 against Almeria).
Malaga v Real Madrid
- Last May's 1-1 draw at La Rosaleda ended a run of 11 consecutive wins for Real Madrid against Malaga in La Liga.
- However, Malaga's last win at home against the Merengues was in September 1983 (6-2); since then, Real have won six times, with as many draws.
- Malaga have managed only two wins in their last 17 league games, both away from home.
- Real Madrid are on a run of 13 consecutive unbeaten games - 10 wins and three draws; one of these draws was against Malaga last May (1-1).
- Away from home, the Merengues have conceded more than one goal in only one league game in 2010 (a 4-2 win against Getafe).
- However, they have been held to a draw in three of their last four league games on the road.
- Both sides share the best attack of this competitions (12 goals scored so far).
- Real Madrid are the only side yet to concede a goal in the first half in this competition.
- Malaga have won only two of the five games in which have taken the lead this season, losing eight points from leading situations.
- Real Madrid have a 100% record in the four games in which they have been ahead.
Mallorca v Espanyol
- Mallorca are unbeaten agains Espanyol over the past two seasons (two wins and as many draws).
- At home, Mallorca are unbeaten in their last 10 meetings with the Catalans (eight wins and two draws).
- The Balearic side have not conceded a goal in four of their last five league games at home.
- Overall, Mallorca have kept four consecutive clean sheets at home in La Liga; the last time they managed a run of five consecutive clean sheets in the top-flight was between September and October 1989.
- Espanyol have alternated away defeats and home wins over their last nine games in La Liga; their last draw came last April in the derby with Barcelona.
- Four of the nine goals conceded by Espanyol this season have come in the last 15 minutes of play - a league-high.
Racing Santander v Almeria
- There is perfect balance between Racing and Almeria in La Liga: both sides have won twice, with as many draws.
- However, Almeria are unbeaten against Racing in the past two seasons, having beaten them twice at Sardinero, two draws complete the record.
- Racing have picked up only one point from the last three match-days of this competition, winning only once this season.
- A 2-0 win at the Riazor against Deportivo in their last away fixture ended a run of eight winless games for Almeria on the road.
- Racing are yet to score a goal in the first half this season in La Liga, and have conceded the most in the first 15 minutes of play (four).
- Overall, Racing have conceded eight goals in this campaign, seven of which were shipped before half-time.
Sporting Gijon v Sevilla
- Sporting Gijon have won against Sevilla 25 times so far, more than against any other side in La Liga.
- Sevilla have won four of their last five league meetings with Sporting Gijon.
- However, the Andalucians never scored more than one goal in their last six visits to Sporting at the Molinon.
- Sporting have won only one of their last 16 league games (vs Mallorca in September); eight defeats and seven draws complete the record.
- Sevilla have not shared the points away from home in their last 23 league games (12 wins and 11 defeats, including against Hercules in their last game on the road).
- Sevilla have gained six points from trailing situations this season, winning two of the three games in which they have been behind in so far.