Bayern Munich v Chelsea - Champions League Final Opta Facts
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Champions League Final - Opta Facts
Bayern Munich v Chelsea
- Bayern Munich and Chelsea have met on two occasions so far in the Champions League. In the quarter-finals of the 2004/05 season, the Blues made it to the semi-finals by winning 4-2 at the Stamford Bridge before losing 2-3 at the Olympic Stadion.
- Three of Chelsea's six goals against Bayern have been scored by Frank Lampard, the others by Drogba (two) and Joe Cole.
- Indeed, Bayern are the side against whom Lampard has scored the joint-most goals in the Champions League (three), alongside Barcelona and Liverpool.
- Chelsea have played 15 times against German sides in European competition (incl. Fairs cup), winning eight times (D3 L4).
- The Blues have met German clubs 12 times in the Champion League: the Londoners have won six times, losing four times and sharing the points twice.
- Bayern have played 38 games against English sides in European competition (incl. fairs): the Germans have won 14 of these, losing 11 and drawing 13.
- Bayern Munich have met English sides 17 times in the modern format of the Champions League, winning seven times (five defeats and as many draws).
- Bayern have drawn just one of their last 31 CL games (1-1 against Napoli in the group stage earlier this season).
- Chelsea have won four of their last five CL games, drawing the last one 2-2 at Barcelona in the 2nd leg of the semi-finals.
- The Blues have scored in each of their last 13 Champions League games (25 goals).
- Bayern have won four and lost four of their eight European Cup/Champions League finals.
- Three of these eight finals were against English sides. The Germans won the first one versus Leeds (in 1974/75) before losing against Aston Villa (1981/82) and Manchester Utd (1998/99).
- This will be the second Champions League final for Chelsea, after the famous defeat in a penalty shoot-out against Manchester United at Moscow in 2008.
- English sides have won just one of their last eight European finals in all competitions (Manchester United vs Chelsea in 2007/08 Champions League).
- English clubs have won four of their five European Cup/Champions League final encounters with German clubs, the only exception being Bayern Munich's win against Leeds Utd in 1975.
- Only one side has ever won both the English FA Cup and Champions League/European Cup in the same season: Manchester United in 1998/99.
- Chelsea have won 49% of their Champions League games with John Terry on the pitch since his debut in 2003/04 (42 out of 85). This ratio climbs to 57% when he's absent (8 out of 14).
- This will be the third European final for Jupp Heynckes as a manager, 32 years after his first one. He lost the UEFA Cup final with Borussia Mönchengladbach in 1980 before winning the Champions League with Real Madrid in 1998.
- This is the fourth time a team will play the final of the European Cup/Champions League in their own stadium after Real Madrid in 1956/57 (2-0 win against Fiorentina at the Bernabeu), Inter Milan in 1964/65 (1-0 win against Benfica at the San Siro) & Roma in 1983/84 (losing in a penalty shoot-out against Liverpool at the Olimpico).
- Mario Gomez has scored 20 goals in his last 17 Champions League appearances.
- Franck Ribéry has won 42 fouls so far in this Champions League season, at least 14 more than any other player.
- Only Lionel Messi (46) and Cristiano Ronaldo (29) have completed more dribbled than Ribéry in Champions League this season (28).
- Chelsea's last seven Champions League goals have been scored by seven different players.
- Chelsea have scored the joint-most headed goals in Champions League this season alongside Bayer Leverkusen (four).