Bundesliga Opta Facts - 10-12 February
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
VfL Wolfsburg - SC Freiburg
- The Wolves have only won one of their last seven BL encounters with Freiburg (five defeats, one draw).
- In total, Wolfsburg have only enjoyed three wins in their 17 BL games against SCF (eight draws, six defeats).
- Augsburg (2.00) and Nürnberg (1.85) are the only current BL teams against whom Freiburg have a better points-per-game average than against Wolfsburg (1.76).
- The Wolves have won six and lost only one of their last nine league home games and are unbeaten in their last five at VW Arena (three wins, two draws).
- Freiburg have conceded a league-high 44 goals. Wolfsburg have shipped the third-most goals (36), but have only conceded nine of those on home soil.
- For the first time since their first ever BL season (1997-98) the Wolves have kept three consecutive clean sheets at home.
- Freiburg have only won one of their last 10 league games on the road and have only taken one point from their last five away from Badenova-Stadion.
- Wolves manager Felix Magath has already fielded 36 different players this term - a new single-season BL record. Freiburg have used the third-most different players this term (29).
- Only Schalke (11) have netted more headed goals than Wolfsburg (eight) this season, while Freiburg have conceded a league-high nine goals from headers.
- The 44 points Felix Magath has taken from his 18 league encounters with Freiburg equal an average of 2.4 points per game for the Wolves manager against SCF. Against no other BL team that he has faced at least three times can the former Bayern gaffer boast such a good points-per-game average.
Borussia Dortmund - Bayer Leverkusen
- Bayer have only enjoyed one victory over Borussia in their last nine league meetings with the Yellow-Blacks (four draws, four defeats), but won the corresponding fixture at Signal Iduna Park last season.
- Dortmund are unbeaten in 14 games (11 wins, three draws), conceding only eight goals in the process. No other BL team has currently gone that long without defeat.
- Borussia have scored in each of their last 16 BL games - currently the longest run of its kind in the German top flight. The last game in which Jürgen Klopp's men didn't score was this season's first meeting with Bayer when they were held to a stalemate at Leverkusen.
- Leverkusen have only lost one of their last 10 league games (four wins, five draws) when they were defeated 3-0 at home against Nürnberg shortly before Christmas.
- The visitors are unbeaten in their last six league games on the road (two wins, four draws), keeping three clean sheets in the process.
- Dortmund, on the other hand, have gone six league games at Signal Iduna Park without defeat, netting 20 goals in the process (an average of 3.33 goals per game).
- At this point last season Bayer had netted 13 goals and accrued eight points more than they have this term.
- BVB striker Lucas Barrios netted his first goal of the campaign against Nürnberg last weekend, while his teammate Robert Lewandowski has now gone two games without scoring for the first time this term.
- Lewandowski is still joint-third in terms of scorer points (assists and goals combined) in the league, though (20, like Huntelaar). Only Gomez and Pizarro have chalked up more scorer points than the Pole. With 14 goals to his name Lewandowski is Dortmund's top scorer and with six assists also their joint-best provider.
1. FSV Mainz 05 - Hannover 96
- These two sides have already met twice this season. Their first encounter of the campaign came in the league when Mainz held Hannover to 1-1 draw, while the second clash came in the second round of the German Cup and saw Mainz beat the Reds 1-0 after extra-time.
- The Reds are set to play their 400th away game in the Bundesliga, while their manager Mirko Slomka will oversee his 150th match in the German top flight.
- Mirko Slomka started his tenure at Hannover in early 2010 with a 1-0 defeat away at Mainz and went on to lose his first six games in charge of 96, but still managed to save the Reds from the drop at the end of the season.
- Mainz have only enjoyed one win in their last eight matches in all competitions (four draws, three defeats), but have won three and lost none of their last four at Coface-Arena.
- The Reds are unbeaten in seven games (two wins, five draws) - a feat they last achieved in 2005-06 when they went 11 games without defeat. Only reigning champions Dortmund are currently on a longer unbeaten run in the Bundesliga than 96 (14 games).
- Hannover are the only side in the league yet to ship a goal in 2012 and haven't conceded in 292 minutes in the Bundesliga - their longest run without conceding since December 2006.
- Mainz have dropped a league-high 20 points from winning positions this term.
- Hannover have drawn three and lost none of their last four BL games on the road.
- Mohamed Zidane, who had only made three substitute appearances for Dortmund this term, re-joined his former club Mainz during the winter break and started his second stint at FSV by scoring the opening goal against Schalke last weekend.
- All three goals Hannover have scored in their last five BL games (two wins, three draws) were netted by Norwegian striker Mohammed Abdellaoue. The 96 forward has now already chalked up one goal more (11) than he registered in the whole of last season.
Bayern München - 1. FC Kaiserslautern
- Lautern's last league win away at Bayern came over 14 years ago in August 1997 (1-0) when the Red Devils had just won promotion to the top flight and sensationally managed to go on to win the BL title.
- FCK have suffered more defeats (46) and conceded more goals (171) against Bayern in the Bundesliga than against any other team.
- The Red Devils have only enjoyed one win over Bayern in their last 17 league encounter with the record champions (four draws, 12 defeats) when they beat FCB 2-0 at home courtesy of goals by Ilicevic and Lakic in August 2010.
- Bayern have won eight and lost none of their nine 3:30-kick-offs this term.
- Lautern are winless in 10 league games (seven draws, three defeats) - no other team in the league has gone that long without picking up three points.
- FCB top-scorer Mario Gomez (17 goals) has netted two goals more than the whole FCK squad combined. The German international has scored a hat-trick in each of his last two BL appearances against Lautern.
- Gomez has accrued the joint-most scorer points (goals and assists combined) in the league this term (21, like Claudio Pizarro).
- FCB gaffer Jupp Heynckes has won his last six league encounters with the Red Devils and could celebrate his 100th win in the Bundesliga as the Bayern manager with a victory over FCK.
- Arjen Robben is set to make his 50th BL appearance. The Dutchman has registered 49 scorer points (33 goals, 16 assists) in his 49 games in the German top flight so far.
- Thomas Müller hasn't scored in 1133 minutes of BL football. The World Cup top-scorer's last league goal came over four months ago against Leverkusen.
Werder Bremen - 1899 Hoffenheim
- Werder Bremen have won six of their eight matches against Hoffenheim in all competitions (one draw, one defeat).
- Hoffenheim have only lost one game after taking this lead this term. They lost this season's first meeting with Werder after opening the scoring 2-1.
- Bremen have won eight and lost only one of their last 10 BL games at Weserstadion.
- Thomas Schaaf's men have shared the spoils in each of their last three league games, while Hoffenheim have drawn three of their last four (one defeat).
- 1899 have only enjoyed one win in their last 10 league games (five draws, four defeats).
- Werder have recouped the most points from losing positions (20), while Hoffenheim have taken the fewest points from games in which they trailed (one).
- Bremen will miss Claudio Pizarro due to a yellow-card suspension. The Peruvian striker has been directly involved in 20 of Werder's last 25 league goals (14 goals, six assists) and has registered the joint-most scorer points (goals and assists combined) in the Bundesliga this term (21, along with Mario Gomez).
- 1899's winter signing Srdjan Lakic has netted three goals in his last two BL appearances against Werder.
- Five of Hoffenheim's top six BL top-scorers of all time have left the club in the last 13 months (Ibisevic, Ba, Eduardo, Obasi, Sigurdsson). These five players have scored 59% (103 out of 176) of Hoffenheim's goals in the German top flight.
- 1899 manager Holger Stanislawski has lost all three league encounters with Werder in his managerial career and only took one point from his three meetings with the Green-Whites during his playing days.
VfB Stuttgart - Hertha BSC
- Stuttgart have only lost one of their last 10 home games against Hertha in all competitions (four wins, five draws), keeping six clean sheets in the process.
- This match will see the second-worst team of 2012 take on the worst side of the new year. While Stuttgart have picked up one point from their three games since the turn of the year combined, Hertha are the only side in the league to lose all three BL games in 2012.
- The Berlin-based side have gone nine games without a win in the league (four draws, five defeats) - only Kaiserslautern have currently gone longer without a full three-point haul (10 games).
- The Swabians have only taken two points from their last seven league games - fewer than any other team in the league during that period.
- Only Stuttgart (11 games) have gone longer without shutting their opponents out than Hertha (10 games).
- Neither Stuttgart (13 games) nor Hertha (14 games) have won a game after falling behind this term (like three other teams).
- Hertha are the only side still to score from outside the area this term and have shipped a league-high 10 goals from long range.
- Only Bayern (seven) have netted more goals following free-kicks than Stuttgart this campaign (six).
- VfB striker Cacau is without a goal in 620 minutes of BL football. The 30-year-old's only goal on home soil this term came on the opening day in a 3-0 win over Schalke.
- Raffael, who will be eligible again against VfB after missing the last three games due to suspension, has scored at least once in each of Hertha's four wins in the league this term. The Brazilian netted his BL debut goal against VfB in February 2008 and scored the decisive goal in Hertha's 1-0 win over the Swabians earlier this term.
Borussia Mönchengladbach - FC Schalke 04
- 20 games into the campaign both Gladbach (40 opposed to 36) and Schalke (41 opposed to 40) have already registered more points than they accrued in the whole of last season.
- The six BL campaigns in which Gladbach had a better record after 20 games than they have this term all came in the golden days of the club between 1969 and 1977. On five of these six seasons the Foals won the BL title.
- Only three teams in BL history have conceded fewer goals after 20 games than Gladbach have this term (12). Two of these three teams went on to win the Bundesliga (Werder 1987/88 & Bayern 2007/08).
- The Foals have only lost one of their last 10 league games (seven wins, two draws).
- Schalke have only suffered one defeat in their last 11 BL matches (eight wins, two draws).
- The Royal Blues won this season's first meeting with the Foals 1-0 on home soil, but were defeated 3-1 by Gladbach in the Round of 16 of the German Cup in December at Borussia Park, suffering their fourth straight defeat away at Gladbach in all competitions.
- Prior to this season's first meeting with S04, Gladbach topped the table for the first and so far only time this campaign. It was the first time the Foals had led the league since August 1998.
- In terms of points-per-game average Lucien Favre is the best-ever Foals manager in the Bundesliga. The Swiss boss' average of 1.88 points per BL game even exceeds that of Hennes Weisweiler (1.74) and Udo Lattek (1.72), the only two managers to have won the Bundesliga with Borussia.
- Lucien Favre started his tenure at Gladbach with a 2-1 win over Schalke at Borussia Park in February 2011. It was the Foals' first home win of the 2010-11 campaign.
- Only German record champions Bayern (47) have netted more goals this term than Schalke (46). Never before had the Royal Blues scored as many goals 20 games into a BL season.
FC Augsburg - 1. FC Nürnberg
- Nürnberg have lost none of their six matches against Augsburg in all competitions (five wins, one draw).
- FCN have kept a clean sheet in each of their last four competitive games against FCA.
- This season first meeting was won by Nürnberg courtesy of a goal by Alexander Esswein - it was the winger's first-ever strike in the Bundesliga.
- Since the introduction of the three-point rule in 1995 no promoted team has won as few points (16) after 20 games as Augsburg have this term.
- Jos Luhukay's men have taken seven points from their last thee BL games on home soil, conceding only two goals in the process.
- Nürnberg have lost their last two league games and failed to score in four of their last six.
- Dieter Hecking's men have lost six of their last seven games on the road (one win).
- Only Kaiserslautern (15) have netted fewer goals this term than Nürnberg and Augsburg (19 each).
- Nürnberg (six wins) have enjoyed twice as many wins as Augsburg (three wins) this term, but have also suffered the joint-most defeats in the league (11, level with bottom-placed Freiburg).
1. FC Köln - Hamburger SV
- Köln have only won one of their last five BL home games against HSV, but that win came in the corresponding fixture last season when the Billygoats beat the Redshorts 3-2 at RheinEnergieStadion.
- The last five meetings between these two sides have seen a total of 30 goals - an average of six goals per game.
- Following their 1-0 win at Kaiserslautern last Sunday Köln are in the top-half of the BL table for the first time since November 2008.
- Hamburg have only suffered one defeat in their last 12 league games (four wins, seven draws) when they lost 5-1 against reigning champions Dortmund in January.
- Only table-toppers Dortmund (eight games) have currently gone longer without a defeat on the road than the Redshorts (six games, like Leverkusen).
- Köln's league games this season have seen a total of 69 goals - only Schalke's BL games have been more goal-rich this term (71).
- Köln have enjoyed shut-out victories in each of their last four BL games on a Sunday. Hamburg have only lost one of their last five matches on this day of the week (three wins, one draw).
- The Redshorts have picked up more points on the road (12) than on home soil (11) this term.
- Only Augsburg (122) have allowed their opponents more shots on target than Hamburg (118). Köln, on the other hand, have attempted the fewest shots in the Bundesliga this campaign (167).
- The Billygoats have lost three BL games more than Hamburg this term, but are currently three places above the Redshorts in the league table.