Bundesliga Opta Facts | 20 - 22 December
Eintracht Frankfurt v FC Augsburg
- There were clear home wins in the two meetings between these two sides last season - Frankfurt won 4-2 on matchday 12 while Augsburg secured a 2-0 victory on matchday 29.
- Frankfurt's surprising 1-0 win on the last matchday against Leverkusen ended their run of 10 league games without a win - their previous victory came before the Europa League campaign kicked off (3-0 in Bremen on matchday 5).
- Before this season, the earliest Augsburg had reached the 23-point mark (W7 D2 L7) in a Bundesliga season before was on matchday 25.
- Frankfurt are one of three sides (with Freiburg and Nürnberg) yet to win a league home game this season (D3 L4). In the Europa League however, they have won all three home matches.
- FCA are unbeaten in their last four Bundesliga matches (W3 D1), also keeping a clean sheet in three of those four games.
- Frankfurt will go into the winter break in three competitions for the first time in 34 years (Bundesliga, Europa League, German Cup). In the previous instance, Eintracht won the UEFA Cup (a 3-2 away loss and 1-0 home win in the final against Mönchengladbach).
- Frankfurt's Bastian Oczipka (59) and Augsburg's Andre Hahn (60) have made the most crosses in the league.
- Augsburg's defence (including keeper Hitz) has been the same for the last seven competitive games: Ostrzolek, Klavan, Callsen-Bracker and Verhaegh - FCA's only defeats in this timeframe have come against FC Bayern (3-0, 2-0).
- FCA's stand-out player so far this season is Andre Hahn, who was playing for Offenbach in the third division as recently as December 2012. With six goals to his name, he is Augsburg's top goalscorer.
- Armin Veh's 250th Bundesliga game as a manager will be against his former club FC Augsburg - his overall record is a negative one (W96 D55 L98).
Borussia Dortmund v Hertha BSC
- Dortmund may have won three of their last five Bundesliga meetings with Hertha (D1 L1), but they have won just one of their last five Bundesliga home games against them (D2 L2).
- Dortmund have taken just four points from their last five games (W1 D1 L3).
- Hertha are unbeaten in three matches (W2 D1) and have won their last two away games - something they last managed in March/April 2010. Berlin last celebrated three successive Bundesliga away wins in April/May 2007.
- Dortmund have lost their last two home games without scoring - the last time that happened was in August 1990. BVB have never gone three consecutive Bundesliga home games without scoring.
- Klopp's side currently have one point more (32) than they did at the same point in their 2011/12 title-winning season (31), despite this mini-crisis.
- Five of the last six Dortmund goals have come from set-pieces - a good record for the Hertha game, with Berlin having conceded the highest percentage of goals from set-pieces (53%).
- Only Bayern (138) have allowed fewer shots than Dortmund (144) and Hertha (166).
- The league's top scorers will meet in Robert Lewandowski (11 goals) and Adrian Ramos (10). Lewandowski has been involved in seven of the last 10 BVB goals, while Ramos has been involved in nine of Hertha's last 11 goals.
- Hertha's Ronny has been involved in a goal every 77 minutes (4 goals and 3 assists in 542 minutes) - the best record in the league for players involved in at least five goals.
- Lukasz Piszczek made a total of 68 appearances for Hertha BSC between 2007 and 2010 (3 goals, 4 assists), before he moved to Dortmund.
Werder Bremen v Bayer 04 Leverkusen
- Bremen haven't won any of their last 10 Bundesliga games against Leverkusen (D6, L4). The last time Werder beat Bayer 04 was a 1-0 win in Leverkusen in May 2008.
- Werder are experiencing their worst season since 1974/75.
- With just 28 points this calendar year, Bremen are currently the worst team in German professional football in 2013. No other side that has played in either the first, second or third division for the whole of 2013 has collected as few points as Werder.
- Along with Hoffenheim, Werder have the league's leakiest defence (37 goals conceded), matching the worst record in the club's history for goals conceded.
- Bremen also conceded 37 goals in the first 16 Bundesliga matchdays of the 1974/75 season.
- Bayer 04 are having their second-best season in their Bundesliga history. 2001/02 was the only time they had more points (39) after 16 games than they do at the moment (37). A new club record for the first half of the season would be possible with a win in Bremen.
- Bremen have conceded at least twice in each of their last seven games (25 in total, an average of 3.6 goals per game). Werder have lost their last two home games, conceding 10 goals in the process - more than ever before in two consecutive home games.
- Just as they did between May and August 2013, Bayer 04 have won their last four competitive away games. Leverkusen haven't secured more than four competitive away wins in a row since their promotion to the Bundesliga in 1979 - they could set a new club record.
- Bayer 04's three league defeats this season have come against sides that were lower down in the table at the time - Schalke and Frankfurt were 15th and Braunschweig were 18th.
- Robin Dutt was Leverkusen manager in 2011/12, but was relieved of his duties after matchday 28 and five successive defeats in competitive matches - Sami Hyypiä and Sascha Lewandowski took over from him.
- Bremen's Raphael Wolf has saved just 36.4% of the shots on his goal (in comparison: Mielitz has saved 71.3%) and has conceded 14 goals in his first three Bundesliga appearances.
Sport-Club Freiburg v Hannover 96
- Freiburg are unbeaten in four games against Hannover (W2 D2), a run which was preceded by four consecutive defeats for SCF.
- Freiburg are without a win at home (D3 L4), while Hannover have lost each of their away matches.
- SCF have never been without a Bundesliga home win in the first half of the season before.
- Before Hannover, Bielefeld were the last side to lose their first seven Bundesliga away games in the 19997/98 season. Frankfurt were the last team to lose every away match in the first half of the season back in 1988/89, a campaign that required a relegation play-off win to secure their Bundesliga status.
- Freiburg have the worst tackling record in the league: 47.4% of the challenges have been unsuccessful.
- Hannover are the only side without a goal in the second half of away games. Freiburg, on the other hand, haven't scored a first-half goal in their last 10 Bundesliga matches.
- 96 goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler is set to make his 100th Bundesliga appearance, with his last 90 coming in succession. Striker Mame Diouf could play his 50th Bundesliga game (23 goals).
- Hannover's top points-scorer (goals + assists) Szabolcs Huszti (6 goals, 4 assists) is suspended after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season.
- Hannover's sporting director Dirk Dufner spent six years in the same role at SC Freiburg before joining 96. Dufner contributed to SCF's Bundesliga promotion in 2009 and made Christian Streich the manager in December 2011.
- Christian Streich and Mirko Slomka completed their coaching course together at the German Sport University Cologne in 2001.
Hamburger SV v 1. FSV Mainz 05
- HSV haven't lost any of their last four games against Mainz (W2 D2) - their longest unbeaten run against any of the current Bundesliga sides.
- Hamburg won both of the meetings last season - 1-0 at home and then 2-1 in Mainz in April.
- Of their seven home games, HSV have only won two and drawn one (4 defeats), putting them 14th in the home table. Mainz have the exact same record away from home and are 14th in the away table.
- Both sides have conceded just five goals from set-pieces. Only Bayern (2) and Leverkusen (3) have conceded fewer. Proportionally, HSV have conceded the lowest share of goals from set-pieces (14.3%), followed by Mainz (17.2%).
- HSV have by far the best shot accuracy in the league (56.1%).
- On average, Mainz have the least amount of possession in the Bundesliga this season (42.1%). This statistic is at just 38.3% in away games - that is also a league-low.
- During his time at Dortmund, Bert van Marwijk faced Mainz five times and was unbeaten (W1 D4). Of the current Bundesliga sides, Nürnberg are the only other team he has faced as often in the top flight without losing.
- Pierre-Michael Lasogga has scored just one of his nine Bundesliga goals for HSV at home (with 8 goals away from home, he is the best goalscorer on the road in 2013/14).
- Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting was born in Hamburg and also played for HSV from 2004 to 2009 and in 2010/11. He made his Bundesliga debut while playing for them in August 2007 and made a total of 23 league appearances for Hamburger SV, scoring two goals.
- Nikolce Noveski made his Bundesliga debut in a 1-0 loss to HSV while playing for former club Rostock in March 1999. With 68.0% of his challenges won, the Macedonian is the third-best tackler in the league.
Eintracht Braunschweig v 1899 Hoffenheim
- This is the first Bundesliga meeting between Braunschweig and Hoffenheim - it is the 846th different pairing in Bundesliga history.
- Hoffenheim have let the most points slip from winning positions this season (16) and have failed to turn a two-goal lead into three points on four different occasions.
- With eight points after 16 games, Braunschweig are experiencing their worst season in the Bundesliga. What's more, only three teams in Bundesliga history have scored fewer goals after 16 matchdays than Eintracht (9).
- Games involving Hoffenheim have seen the most goals this season by some way (73). Braunschweig's games have produced just 41 goals, the league's lowest amount.
- Along with Bremen, TSG have the leakiest defence in the league (37 goals conceded). Hoffenheim haven't kept a clean sheet in their last 22 matches.
- Eintracht have collected just one point from their last five games and have lost their last four. Braunschweig have scored just one goal in those five matches.
- Braunschweig have won just one of their eight home matches this season (D1 L6) - a 1-0 win against Leverkusen on matchday 11. Eintracht have only scored four goals at home, failing to find the back of the net in five games.
- Eintracht have failed to score before half time in 14 of their 16 matches this season. Their tally of two goals before the break is a league-low.
- Only Bremen (71.9%) have a worse pass accuracy than Braunschweig (74.2%) and Hoffenheim (76.1%).
- Kevin Volland is set to make his 50th Bundesliga appearance. He has scored 13 times in 49 top-flight games (all for Hoffenheim), including seven goals this season.
- Sven Schipplock, who has taken Anthony Modeste's starting place in the last four competitive games, has been involved in three of the last four TSG goals (2 goals, 1 assist).
1. FC Nürnberg v FC Schalke 04
- Nürnberg have won their last three home games against Schalke - with a goal record of 9:2.
- This is the first late Saturday kick-off to take place in Nürnberg since February 2010 (2-1 loss to Stuttgart). Schalke are playing in this timeslot for the 26th time (the same as Dortmund). Only Bayern (28 times) have played in more late Saturday kick-offs.
- Schalke have won four of their last six Bundesliga games (D1 L1).
- Schalke have lost their final Bundesliga game of the year just once in the last seven seasons (W5 D1). They suffered a 3-1 home defeat to SC Freiburg on matchday 17 last season. Huub Stevens was relieved of his duties soon afterwards.
- Nürnberg are the first team in Bundesliga history to be without a win after 16 matchdays (D10 L6). FCN are also the only team in Europe's top five leagues without a win this season.
- FCN have conceded at least once in their last 24 Bundesliga games - no other team in the league has been waiting for a clean sheet as long as Nürnberg. Their last clean sheet was in a 3-0 win against Schalke on March 16th.
- Nürnberg let a three-goal lead slip for the first time in their Bundesliga history on the last matchday in the 3-3 draw with Hannover.
- Schalke's tally of nine goals scored in the final 15 minutes of games is a league high together with FC Bayern. Nürnberg have conceded the most goals in the league in this timeframe (9).
- FCN have hit the woodwork 15 times this season - the highest amount in Europe's top five leagues.
- Jefferson Farfan has scored four of Schalke's last six Bundesliga goals. He is also S04's leading goalscorer in the top flight this season with six goals in total.
- Apart from Gertjan Verbeek, Thomas von Heesen (2008) is the only other FCN manager that has failed to win any of their first seven games (both D4 L3). Von Heesen won his eighth game 3-1 in Frankfurt.
Borussia Mönchengladbach v VfL Wolfsburg
- A win for visitors Wolfsburg in this battle for Champions League qualification would see them move onto the same amount of points as Borussia.
- Wolfsburg have won 15 of their 26 Bundesliga matches against Gladbach (58%).
- Gladbach have won their last two home games against the Wolves (2011 and 2012), meaning they now have a postive record at home against Wolfsburg (W6 D2 L5).
- Wolfsburg are unbeaten in eight Bundesliga games (W6 D2). Only Bayern (41 games) are currently on a longer unbeaten run in the top flight.
- Gladbach haven't lost in seven Bundesliga games (W6 D1), a run they last achieved between November 2012 and January 2013. The last time Borussia put a longer unbeaten streak together was over 10 years ago (9 games, April-August 2003).
- With 29 points from 16 games, Wolfsburg are having their best ever Bundesliga season. They had 26 points at the same stage of their title-winning season in 2008/09.
- Only twice before have Gladbach had more points after 16 games than they currently have (32). When converted to the three-points-per-win system, they had 36 points in both 1976/77 and 1969/70 - both title-winning seasons.
- Gladbach have won their first eight home games of the season for the first time in their history. No side is more prolific at home than Borussia (2.9 goals scored per game).
- Mönchengladbach played the same starting XI for the sixth successive game in the 0-0 draw with Mainz. The last time Borussia did that was in the autumn of 1986.
- Dieter Hecking, who will have been in charge of Wolfsburg for exactly one year on the day of the match, started his professional playing career at Gladbach in 1983. He made his Bundesliga debut under manager Jupp Heynckes in November 1984.
- Diego has scored five goals in seven games against Borussia - only against Stuttgart (6 goals in 10 games) has he scored more often in the top flight. The Brazilian was invovled in all three of Wolfsburg's goals in their 3-1 win in the last meeting (1 goals, 2 assists).
View our full range of Bundesliga betting