Bundesliga Opta Facts - 3-5 February
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
1. FC Nürnberg - Borussia Dortmund
- Dortmund are unbeaten against Nürnberg in six BL games and have won each of the last five encounters with FCN.
- Nürnberg have only enjoyed one win over Dortmund in their last 23 league games against the Yellow-Blacks (eight draws, 14 defeats).
- The last three matches between these two sides have all seen the reigning champions prevail by a 2-0 scoreline.
- Jürgen Klopp's men have kept five clean sheets in their last six BL matches against Nürnberg.
- Dortmund have scored more than twice as many goals as Nürnberg (BVB: 43, FCN: 19), while FCN have conceded more than twice as many goals as the champions so far this term (BVB: 14, FCN: 29).
- Dortrmund have gone 13 league games without defeat - currently the longest run of its kind in the German top flight - and have only conceded eight goals during this period.
- Borussia's last defeat came over four months ago when they lost 2-1 away at Hannover in September.
- Nürnberg have failed to score in three of their last five league games and have only netted seven goals in their last nine BL matches (an average of 0.78 goals per game).
- Kevin Großkreutz has assisted and/or scored a goal in each of his last three BL appearances.
- Ilkay Gündogan plied his trade with Nürnberg between 2009 and 2011, making 47 BL apperances for FCN (six goals, four assists).
VfL Wolfsburg - Borussia Mönchengladbach
- The Wolves have won six of the last eight BL games against Gladbach.
- The Foals have lost 61% of their BL encounters with the Wolves - against no other BL team that they have played more than once in the top flight have they lost a higher proportion of games.
- Gladbach have lost their last six BL outings at Wolfsburg and haven't beaten the Wolves on the road since November 2003.
- After their 4-1 win over the Wolves in this season's first meeting Gladbach topped the table for the first and so far only time this campaign. This game was also the last BL match that the Wolves lost after opening the scoring.
- 19 games into the season the Foals have already registered 39 points - three more than they won in the whole of last season.
- The five BL campaigns in which Gladbach had a better record after 19 games than they have this term all came in the golden days of the club between 1969 and 1977. In four of these five seasons the Foals won the BL title.
- Only three teams in BL history have conceded fewer goals after 19 games than Gladbach have this term (12). At this point last season the Foals had shipped more goals than any other team in the league (50).
- In terms of points-per-game average Lucien Favre is the best ever Foals manager in the Bundesliga. The Swiss gaffer's average of 1.90 points per BL game even exceeds that of Hennes Weisweiler (1.74) and Udo Lattek (1.72), the only two managers to have won the Bundesliga with Borussia.
- Marco Reus has been directly involved in more goal attempts this term than any other player in the league (109, 65 shots, 44 chances created) - his teammate Juan Arango is a close second in that category (108).
- Foals striker Mike Hanke was under contract with the Wolves from 2005 to 2007 and made 53 BL appearances for VfL, netting 16 goals in the process.
1899 Hoffenheim - FC Augsburg
- Hoffenheim have won four and lost none of the five competitive matches they have played against Augsburg in professional football.
- The only top-flight duel between these two sides was this season's first meeting that saw Hoffenheim beat FCA 2-0. It was the first ever defeat for Augsburg in the Bundesliga.
- The last time these two sides met was in the Round of 16 of the German Cup in December. Thanks to goals by Salihovic and Ibisevic 1899 beat FCA 2-1 and advanced to the quarter-finals.
- Augsburg have only taken one point from their last five BL games on the road.
- Overall FCA have only won one of their ten league games away from home this term.
- Since the introduction of the three-point rule in 1995 no promoted team has won as few points (16), scored as few goals (17) or had such a poor goal-difference (-14) after 19 games as Augsburg have this term.
- Hoffenheim have won fewer points (23), scored fewer goals (20) and have a worse goal-difference (-2) than ever before after 19 games in a BL season.
- 1899 are the only side in the league still to recoup a single point from losing positions this term.
- Augsburg's last ten league goals have been scored by ten different players.
- Only five different Hoffenheim players have got their name on the score-sheet this season - a league low.
- FCA defender Sebastian Langkamp is by far the best duellist in the league, winning 74.2% of his challenges so far this term (only players with an average of at least four duels per game taken into account).
Hertha BSC - Hannover 96
- Hannover have only won one of their last seven BL encounters with Hertha (two draws, four defeats); this came when they beat the Berlin-based side 2-0 in April 2009.
- Hertha have enjoyed shut-out victories over Hannover in each of their last four league home games against the Reds. Hannover's last win in Berlin dates back to September 2003 when the Reds managed to turn a 2-0 deficit into a 3-2 win.
- Since their 1-0 home win over Hannover on the opening day of the 2009-10 campaign Hertha have only won two of their last 25 top-flight games at the Olympiastadion (nine draws, 14 defeats). With only nine points from their nine BL home games Hertha currently have the worst home record in the league.
- The team that was bottom of the home table has ended up being relegated in each of the last 13 BL seasons.
- Hannover have netted the fewest goals on the road in the league (six, including an own goal by Hertha's winter signing Felix Bastians).
- The Reds (46.0%) have the worst duel success rate in the BL, while Hertha (52,3%) have the second-best.
- New Hertha manager Michael Skibbe started his new job with two defeats from his first two league games. Whenever a new Hertha manager has begun his tenure with at least two consecutive defeats, Hertha have been relegated at the end of the season.
- The Berlin-based side will miss four defenders against Hannover. Andre Mijatovic and Christian Lell both picked up their fifth yellow card of the season last weekend and will be suspended for the match against the Reds, while Christoph Janker und Maik Franz will miss the game due to injuries.
- Reds striker Mohammed Abdellaoue has already netted as many goals this term as he managed in the whole of last season (ten).
- The last time a Hannover player had scored 10 or more goals after 19 games of a BL season was back in 1971-72 when Ferdinand Keller had netted 12 times at the same point of the season and finished the campaign with 20 goals to his name.
FC Schalke 04 - 1. FSV Mainz 05
- Schalke have won five and lost only one of their last seven BL games against Mainz, but were beaten 3-1 by FSV in the corresponding fixture at Veltins-Arena last season.
- The Royal Blues are the only side in the league to have won each of the last five games. With a victory over Mainz they could equal the club record for the most consecutive wins in the Bundesliga set in 2006-07 and 2004-05.
- S04 have also won their last five league games on home soil, scoring 18 goals in the process.
- Mainz, on the other hand, have won none of their last eight BL games away from Coface Arena (five draws, three defeats) - only Wolfsburg have currently gone longer without a win on the road (nine games).
- Only record champions Bayern (46) have netted more goals than Schalke this term (45). Never before have the Royal Blues scored as many goals after 19 games in the Bundesliga as they have this season.
- Nine of Schalke's last ten league goals have come after the half-time break.
- Following their win away at Köln last weekend Schalke have now chalked up 40 points - as many as they registered in the whole of last season.
- Schalke have scored seven goals following corners - a joint league high with Leverkusen. The last three goals Mainz have conceded have come from opposition corners.
- Mainz have dropped more points from winning positions than any other team in the league (18), while Schalke have recouped the second-most points from losing positions this term (13). In this season's first meeting between the two sides S04 came from 2-0 down to beat Mainz 4-2.
- S04 striker Klaas Jan Huntelaar has already netted 16 league goals this campaign and has set a new club record for the most goals after 19 games in the Bundesliga.
Bayer 04 Leverkusen - VfB Stuttgart
- Leverkusen have won more games against Stuttgart in the Bundesliga than against any other team (27).
- Bayer won four of their last five home games against the Swabians (one defeat), netting 16 goals in the process.
- None of the last 12 meetings between these two sides ended in a draw.
- With a victory over Stuttgart Leverkusen could take their 1700th point in the Bundesliga (currently 1697) and celebrate their 300th home win in the German top flight.
- This game will see the two teams with the most sending-offs in BL history take each other on (108 each).
- Robin Dutt's men have only lost one of their last nine league games (four win, four draws).
- Stuttgart have lost four BL games on the bounce - their longest losing-streak since early 2000.
- Stefan Kießling has netted more goals against Stuttgart than against any other team in the German top flight (nine goals in 12 games). The striker has scored eight goals in his last five appearances against the Swabians.
- Kießling hasn't found the back of the net in 755 minutes of BL football, though. Whenever the forward has scored this term, Leverkusen have gone on to win the game (three goals, three wins).
- VfB manager Bruno Labbadia will face his former club. The former striker was in charge of Bayer for the 2008-09 campaign and reached the German Cup final with Leverkusen where they were defeated by Bremen (1-0).
Hamburger SV - FC Bayern München
- Bayern have won more games (54) and scored more goals (196) against Hamburg in the top flight than against any other team.
- FCB enjoyed shut-out victories over Hamburg in both meetings with the Redshorts in 2011, scoring 11 goals in the process.
- HSV have so far registered 2499 points in the Bundesliga and could celebrate their 2500th point in the top flight if they get anything from their home game against Bayern
- The Redshorts have only lost one of their last 11 league games (four wins, six draws); when they were beaten 5-1 by reigning champions Dortmund two weeks ago.
- Bayern have suffered three defeats in their last five BL games away from Allianz Arena, conceding ten goals in the process.
- FCB manager Jupp Heynckes is one point away from winning his 1000th point in the German top flight and could become only the second manager in BL history to reach that landmark (the first was Otto Rehhagel).
- Additionally, a victory over the Redshorts would mean that Heynckes would celebrate his 100th BL win as Bayern manager.
- Mario Gomez (17 goals) has netted as many goals this term as Hamburg's four best scorers combined (Guerrero (five), Petric (five), Jansen (four) and Son (three)).
- Jupp Heynckes hasn't lost a league game against HSV in over 20 years. Since suffering a 1-0 defeat away at Hamburg in September 1991 the current Bayern manager has won five and drawn four of his nine league encounters with the Redshorts.
- German international Thomas Müller hasn't scored in 1043 minutes of BL football. The World Cup top-scorer's last league goal came over four months ago against Leverkusen.
SC Freiburg - SV Werder Bremen
- Freiburg have won none and lost nine of their last ten BL matches against Werder. Their last win over Bremen dates back to July 2001 (3-0).
- Against no BL team have Freiburg conceded more goals than against Bremen (2.7 per game on average). In their last seven games against Werder, SCF have shipped a total of 30 goals - an average of 4.3 goals per game.
- Against no team have Freiburg lost more top-flight games than against Werder (18, same as against Bayern).
- Bottom-placed Freiburg have only taken one win from their last seven BL games; when they defeated fellow relegation-battlers Augsburg two weeks ago (1-0).
- Werder have failed to score in their last two league games away from Weserstadion and have only taken one point from their last four BL games on the road.
- Freiburg have shipped a league-high 42 goals this term and have conceded three or more goals in three of their last four games.
- Freiburg and Bremen have conceded a joint league-high seven goals following opposition corners.
- Werder manager Thomas Schaaf has won 80% (12 out of 15) of his league encounters with Freiburg (one draw, two defeats) - only against Hertha has he won more games in the top flight (15).
- Claudio Pizarro has been directly involved in 18 of Werder's last 23 league goals (12 goals, six assists).
- One day before the game Werder Bremen will celebrate the 113th anniversary of the club. Werder was founded on 4th February 1899 and is hence one of the five oldest clubs in the Bundesliga. Bremen was also one of the founder members of the Bundesliga in 1963.
1. FC Kaiserslautern - 1. FC Köln
- Lautern have won 18 and lost none of their last 25 BL games against the Billygoats.
- Köln's last top-flight win over the Red Devils came over 22 years ago when they beat FCK 2-1 on the road in December 1989.
- Lautern have won more games (35) and scored more goals (141) against Köln than against any other team in the German top-flight.
- Köln will miss their arguably most important player in Lukas Podolski against FCK. The German international has scored 54% of the Billygoats‘ league goals (15 out of 28) and has thus netted as many goals as all FCK players combined this term.
- The Red Devils are without a win in nine games (seven draws, two defeats) - currently the longest run of its kind in the Bundesliga. Lautern's last five games have all ended level - the longest run of draws in the club's BL history.
- Only twice in their BL history have Lautern had fewer points after 19 games than they have this season (18). The 15 goals they have scored so far this term also equates to a new negative club record at this point of the season.
- Köln have lost three games on the trot for the first time under Stale Solbakken's tenure. Additionally, the Billygoats have only won one and lost five of their last eight BL matches.
- The Red Devils have won none of their last four games on home soil (one defeat, three draws), while Köln have only taken one point from their last six matches away from home.
- The Billygoats are the most deadly team in front of goal, scoring with 22.4% of their unblocked shots, while Lautern have the worst chance conversion rate in the Bundesliga (7.7%).
- Köln's league games this season have seen a total of 68 goals - only Schalke's BL games have been more goal-rich this term (69). Lautern's matches, on the other hand, have only seen a league-low 38 goals.