Carling Cup final Opta facts - 28th Feb
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Aston Villa v Manchester United - Feb 28th
- Manchester United's Norman Whiteside holds the record as the youngest goal scorer in the final of a League Cup, he was 17 years and 324 days old when he scored the opener against Liverpool (they went on to lose 2-1).
- Only Liverpool (7) have won the trophy more often than Aston Villa, who have lifted the cup five times as well as picking up runners-up medals twice.
- In all cup competitions, the two sides have met on 18 occasions, with United winning 11, Villa six and one game drawn.
- In the league cup, the two teams have met on six separate occasions, with Villa winning four, United one and one game drawn.
- Villa have won the last three league cup meetings between the two sides, scoring seven goals in total compared to United's one.
- Their second-last meeting in the Carling Cup came in the 1994 final when the Villans won 3-1 courtesy of goals from Dalian Atkinson and a brace from Dean Saunders. Mark Hughes scored United's goal.
- In all competitions, Villa have enjoyed just one win in their last 26 games against the Red Devils.
- Gabriel Agbonlahor has scored in two of his last three games against United and in four of his last eight appearances against the Old Trafford side.
- During his tenure at Leicester, Martin O'Neill won both the 1997 and 2000 League Cup finals and was runner-up in 1999.
- This is the Northern Irishman's first cup final with Villa, having failed to make even the quarter-finals of either the FA or League Cup in any of his three previous seasons with the club.
- No side has been runner-up in the League Cup more often than Manchester United (four times).
- Villa are unbeaten in 12 matches in all competitions in 2010.
- United have been defeated in three of their 12 games in all competitions in 2010.
- Gabby Agbonlahor has scored in four of his last five appearances for Villa (all comps).
- Wayne Rooney has scored 11 goals in his last eight appearances in all competitions.