Carling Cup Opta Facts - 20th-21st September
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Aldershot v Rochdale
- This is only Aldershot's second ever appearance in Round 3 of the League Cup. In their first appearance they lost 0-4 in a replay against Norwich City following a 0-0 draw in the original game, back in 1984/85.
- Rochdale are unbeaten in four trips to Aldershot, not tasting defeat at the Recreation Ground since November 1986.
- Rochdale haven't played in the third round of the League Cup since 1962, the year they reached the final.
- Rochdale have only ever played two League Cup games against teams from lower divisions, winning both of them.
Arsenal v Shrewsbury
- Arsenal have only been eliminated in three of their previous 47 home League Cup meetings with teams from lower divisions, with the last defeat coming in 1983/84 (1-2 v Walsall).
- The Gunners haven't lost at this stage of the competition since 2002/03, when they lost 2-3 at home to Sunderland.
- The three previous meetings between Arsenal and Shrewsbury all came in the FA Cup, with Arsenal winning two and drawing one.
- The last five League Cup games involving Shrewsbury have seen a total of 25 goals netted; an average of five per game.
Aston Villa v Bolton
- These sides have met once before in the League Cup. Bolton progressed 5-4 on aggregate in the 2003/04 semi-finals, but lost the final to Middlesbrough.
- The Villans have won their last five home League Cup games against fellow Premier League sides, netting nine goals in the last two combined.
- In all competitions, the Trotters have only won one of their last nine meetings with Villa, losing four and drawing four.
- Gary Cahill netted a brace against his former club in the last clash between these sides, a game Bolton won 3-2 at the Reebok Stadium.
Burnley v MK Dons
- Burnley have found the net at least once in each of their last 14 League Cup games.
- The Clarets have won their last seven home League Cup matches, a stretch that has included victories over four Premier League sides.
- The Dons have never progressed past Round 3 of this competition.
- Despite this, Milton Keynes have only failed to score in two of their previous 16 League Cup outings.
- Jay Rodriguez has scored more goals in the League Cup this season than any other player (five).
Leeds v Man Utd
- Manchester United have won all four previous League Cup games between these sides, with the latest being a 3-2 win at Elland Road in October 2003.
- That game saw three goals scored in extra-time after a 1-1 draw in 90 minutes.
- The Red Devils have been knocked out at this stage just once in the last nine campaigns, losing 0-2 at home to Coventry in September 2007.
- Leeds have lost their last six League Cup games against Premier League opposition.
- Ramon Nunez has netted four goals in two League Cup games for Leeds this season.
Nottingham Forest v Newcastle United
- Forest have found the net in all but one of their last 19 home League Cup games.
- The sides have met once before in this competition; in Round 2 in 1974/75, Newcastle beat Forest in a replay (3-0) after a 1-1 draw in the original game.
- Steve McLaren's side have lost their last eight League Cup meetings against Premier League teams.
- Newcastle have not kept a clean sheet in their last nine Carling Cup games, conceding at least two in eight of them.
Stoke v Tottenham
- Stoke haven't been eliminated in the third round of the League Cup since 1997/98, progressing through it on four occasions since that defeat.
- Peter Crouch netted a brace for Tottenham when these sides last met in the Premier League, but has since transferred to the Potters.
- Tottenham have won three of their last four trips to Stoke in all competitions, winning the last two 2-1.
- Spurs have scored and conceded in six of their last seven away League Cup games.
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Millwall
- Wolves beat Millwall 5-1 on the one previous meeting between these sides in the League Cup (Third Round in 1968/69).
- Wolverhampton have never been defeated by a lower league team in the League Cup as a Premier League side, progressing on all six occasions so far.
- The Lions haven't progressed past the third round of the competition since 2005/06.
- Millwall have only won one of their last 11 League Cup games against teams from higher divisions, and even that victory proved in vain as the Lions were eliminated on aggregate.
Blackburn v Leyton Orient
- Orient won the only previous League Cup meeting between these sides; 2-0 in January 1974.
- Blackburn have won their last eight meetings with lower league opposition in the League Cup and are unbeaten in 19 (excluding penalty shootout defeats).
- The O's haven't progressed to the Fourth Round of the League Cup since 1962/63.
- Rovers have scored at least two goals in each of their last 14 League Cup meetings with lower ranked sides at Ewood Park, netting at least three in each of the last eight.
Crystal Palace v Middlesbrough
- Marvin Emnes has already scored three goals in two appearances in the League Cup this season.
- Middlesbrough are unbeaten in three League Cup clashes with the Eagles, winning two and drawing one.
- Palace have only lost two of their last 26 home League Cup games.
- Middlesbrough have lost five of their last six League Cup meetings with teams from the same division.
Brighton v Liverpool
- The only previous League Cup meeting ended 4-0 to Liverpool in October 1985.
- The Seagulls have lost just one of their nine matches in all competitions this term.
- The Reds have lost three of their last five away games in this competition.
- Liverpool have only failed to score in one of their last 38 League Cup meetings with teams from lower divisions.
Cardiff v Leicester
- Jeffrey Schlupp has scored four goals in two League Cup games this season for the Foxes.
- Leicester won the one previous League Cup meeting between these sides 1-0 in South Wales in October 2005.
- Cardiff have only won three of their last 13 League Cup meetings with teams from the same division.
- The Bluebirds are without a clean sheet in 12 games in this competition, though they have only failed to score in two of their last 14.
Chelsea v Fulham
- Chelsea have progressed on both previous occasions they have been drawn against their West London rivals in the League Cup, with the latest being a 2-1 win in 2004.
- Frank Lampard netted an 88th minute winner in the last League Cup clash between these sides.
- The 2008 finalists have scored in each of their last 21 Carling Cup games, netting 50 goals in total.
- Fulham have lost their last five League Cup games against fellow Premier League sides.
Man City v Birmingham
- Both previous League Cup meetings between these sides have finished 6-0 to the home side, with either side coming out on top once each.
- Defending champions Birmingham scored and conceded in all seven League Cup games en route to claiming the trophy last season.
- The Blues lost their only away match in the competition last season (vs West Ham in the first leg of the semi-final).
- Carlos Tevez has scored three goals in his last three meetings with the Blues.
- City have found the net in all but one of their last 13 home games in this competition.
- The Citizens have scored at least five times in five of their last nine League Cup games at home to sides outside the Premier League.
Southampton v Preston
- Southampton have won their last seven home League Cup clashes with teams from a lower division, netting 26 goals in the process.
- The Saints haven't progressed past the third round in this competition since 2004/05.
- Preston have found the net in each of their last eight Carling Cup games, but have only kept one clean sheet in this run.
- The Lilywhites have lost seven of their last eight League Cup games against teams from higher divisions, including the last four.
Everton v West Brom
- Marc Antoine-Fortune netted a brace in his only previous League Cup appearance this season.
- The Baggies won the one previous League Cup meeting between these sides 2-1 at Goodison Park back in January 1981.
- The Toffees have only won two of their last 10 League Cup meetings with fellow Premier League sides, losing seven outright and one on penalties.
- There were three sendings-off in two Premier League meetings between the sides in 2010/11.
- Youssuf Mulumbu scored in both clashes between the sides last term, but was also shown a red card in one of them.