Carling Cup Opta Facts - 22-23 September
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Arsenal v West Bromwich Albion
- Arsenal have only ever lost once to a lower league team under Arsene Wenger, to Burnley in this competition last season.
- The Gunners have won their last four matches with Albion.
- Both League Cup ties between these sides have ended 2-0 to Arsenal.
Bolton Wanderers v West Ham United
- Bolton are unbeaten in their last four encounters with the Hammers, winning the last three.
- In 2005-06 these sides faced each other in both domestic cup competitions, with Bolton progressing in the League Cup but losing in the FA Cup.
- Bolton knocked out West Ham on their way to the 1995 League Cup final.
- Junior Stanislas scored a brace of goals for the Hammers in their second round win against Millwall.
Barnsley v Burnley
- None of the last 25 meetings between these sides has ended goalless, a run stretching back to the 1930s.
- Their only meeting in the League Cup saw Burnley win 3-0 in September 2005.
- Barnsley both scored and conceded a goal in the 90th minute in their second round win at Reading.
- Steven Fletcher scored a brace for Burnley in their second round comeback win at Hartlepool.
Leeds United v Liverpool
- These sides last met in the 2003-04 season, with the Premier League game at Elland Road ending 2-2.
- The Reds have won four of their last six trips to Elland Road.
- The only previous meeting in the League Cup came in round four in 1972-73.
- Robert Snodgrass scored a brace for Leeds in their second round win against Watford.
- Leeds have conceded more fouls than any other side in the Carling Cup this season, 36.
Sunderland v Birmingham City
- Sunderland are unbeaten in their last three encounters with the Blues.
- These sides have never met in the League Cup before.
- Three of Sunderland's four goals in this season's Carling Cup have come before half time.
- Birmingham's goals in the Carling Cup this season have come in the closing 15 minutes of games.
Peterborough United v Newcastle United
- Newcastle have won their last three encounters with Peterborough.
- But Posh's last win against the Magpies came in a League Cup tie in October 1991 at London Road.
- Peterborough also won away at Newcastle in the League Cup in 1965-66.
- Newcastle came from 3-1 down in the second round game against Huddersfield to win 4-3.
Carlisle United v Portsmouth
- These sides have not faced other since 1985.
- Portsmouth have won their last three encounters with Carlisle.
- All three of Carlisle's goals in this season's Carling Cup have been scored in the second half.
- Three of Portsmouth's four goals in the Carling Cup this season have come before half-time.
Nottingham Forest v Blackburn Rovers
- Forest and Blackburn have not met in the League Cup since 1981-82.
- The two sides' last League Cup meeting in Nottingham saw Forest run out 6-1 winners.
- Forest came from behind to knock out Middlesbrough in round two.
Stoke City v Blackpool
- These sides have never faced each other in the League Cup before.
- In 68 meetings between these sides, there has only been one goalless draw, back in 1926.
- Stoke's second round game ended 0-0 in normal time.
- Blackpool have averaged three goals per game in the League Cup this season.
Scunthorpe United v Port Vale
- The last two meetings between these sides have ended goalless.
- One of those matches was a Football League Trophy game in 2006-07 which Port Vale won 5-3 on penalties at Glanford Park.
- Scunthorpe saw three opposition (Swansea) players sent off in their second round match.
- Vale scored two goals in two minutes in their win against Sheffield Wednesday in round two.
Chelsea v Queens Park Rangers
- Chelsea have never beaten QPR in the League Cup, drawing 1-1 at Loftus Road in 1985-86 and losing the replay 2-0 at Stamford Bridge.
- The home team has scored exactly one goal in the last seven matches between these west London rivals.
- QPR both scored and conceded in the 90th minute in their second round win against Accrington.
Hull City v Everton
- Everton have scored exactly two goals in each of their last three games against Hull.
- Everton have won only one of six cup games (all FA Cup) against the Tigers.
- Jozy Altidore scored in Hull's second round win in the American's only start for the Tigers so far.
Manchester United v Wolverhampton Wanderers
- Wolves have not won away at Manchester United since February 1980.
- These sides have never played each other in the League Cup before.
- Wolves were the only team who won a penalty shootout in the second round, 6-5 against Swindon Town.
Manchester City v Fulham
- Fulham are unbeaten in their last four encounters with Manchester City.
- The Whites have won three of their last four games away at the City of Manchester Stadium.
- Both of City's goals in the Carling Cup this season have come after half-time.
Preston North End v Tottenham Hotspur
- The last four meetings between these sides have come in the League Cup with two draws and two Tottenham wins.
- Spurs were the top scoring team in the second round, scoring five times.
- No team has scored more League Cup goals than Preston this season, seven.
- Chris Brown scored a brace for Preston in their second round win against Leicester City.
Aston Villa v Cardiff City
- These sides have not met since the 1974-75 season.
- Cardiff are looking for their 20th win against the Villans in all competitions.
- Both of Cardiff's League Cup wins this season have been 3-1 at home.