Carling Cup Opta Facts - 26/27 October
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Aston Villa v Burnley
- Aston Villa and Burnley have been drawn together four times in the League Cup with Villa going through on three occasions.
- Burnley scored first in both Premier League meetings against Aston Villa last season, but won neither match.
- Villa have won 49 of their matches against Burnley in all competitions.
- Aston Villa have won nine of their last 11 League Cup games at home.
- The Villans have failed to score in their last three fourth round matches in the League Cup.
- Both sides drew their last match in the fourth round of the League Cup.
- Burnley have scored in 11 consecutive Carling Cup matches.
Birmingham City v Brentford
- Birmingham and Brentford have never met in the League Cup, their only cup meeting being an away win for Brentford in the 1990-91 FA Cup.
- Only two of the last 11 meetings between these two sides have ended as home wins.
- City have won their last seven League Cup games against sides from a lower division.
- Brentford are competing in the fourth round for the first time since the 1982/83 season, when they were eliminated away to top flight opposition in the shape of Nottingham Forest.
- The Bees have lost all but one of their 17 matches away from home to top flight teams in the League Cup, defeating Swansea 2-1 in 1982/83.
- Brentford have won none of their last 13 Carling Cup games away from home.
Ipswich Town v Northampton Town
- Northampton Town have reached the fourth round of the League Cup for the first time since 1966.
- The last three meetings between These two sides have all been in the League Cup with Ipswich winning two and one match ending as a draw.
- The Tractor Boys have won eight of their last nine matches at home to lower league opposition.
- Only one of the 13 fourth tier sides to reach the fourth round of the League Cup since 1976 has made it to the next round (Wycombe in 2006/07).
- Three of the Cobblers' last five League Cup games have gone to a penalty shoot-out.
Leicester City v West Bromwich Albion
- West Brom and Leicester have played four games in the League Cup with the Bwaggies winning three and losing none.
Leicester have attempted 47 shots on target in the Carling Cup this season; more than any other team.
- The Foxes have scored in their last 19 League Cup games, averaging two goals per match.
- City have conceded three or more goals in six of their last 11 Carling Cup matches at home.
- The Baggies are without a win in their last eight League Cup matches against opponents from the second tier.
Manchester United v Wolverhampton Wanderers
- Six of the last seven League Cup matches involving Wolves have gone to extra time.
- Michael Owen has scored nine goals in his last 10 carling Cup appearances.
- Man Utd and Wolves have only ever met once in the League Cup and that was last season when United won 1-0.
- Man Utd have won eight and lost just one of the last 10 meetings with Wolves in all competitions.
- United have converted 62.5% of their shots in to goals in the Carling Cup this season; a competition-high.
- United have won 10 of their last 11 Carling Cup games at Old Trafford.
- Wolves have failed to score in their last three League Cup games away from home.
- Wolves have failed to score in their last six visits to Old Trafford since Mel Eves scored in a league game in 1980.
Newcastle United v Arsenal
- Arsenal have won all three League cup meetings with Newcastle, but all three were played in London.
- Arsenal have won five and lost none of the last six meetings with Newcastle.
- The Magpies have not beaten Arsenal in a cup competition since the FA Cup fnal of 1952, losing six and drawing one of the seven cup games since and scoring just one goal.
- Newcastle have only won one of the last 19 matches in all competitions against the Gunners.
- Newcastle have only scored four goals in their last 13 matches against Arsenal in all competitions.
West Ham United v Stoke City
- West Ham and Stoke have played eight games in the League Cup, the Hammers winning four to the Potters two, with two draws.
- The away team has scored exactly one goal in each of the last six meetings between Stoke and West Ham.
- Three of Stoke's four away matches this season have ended with a 2-1 scoreline.
- West Ham have won seven and lost one of their last eight Carling Cup games on home soil.
- The Hammers have lost their last three League Cup matches at home to Premier League opposition, their last home win against top flight rivals came in 1998.
Wigan Athletic v Swansea City
- Wigan have drawn none of their last 26 League Cup matches dating back to 2000-01.
- Swansea have not drawn any of their last 18 League Cup matches dating back to 2000-01.
- The Latics have not drawn any of their last 27 League Cup ties at home dating back to 1993.
- Swansea have scored more goals in the Carling Cup this season than any other side (9).
- Scott Sinclair is the top scorer in the Carling Cup this season with four goals.