Carling Cup Opta Facts - Semi Finals
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Liverpool v Manchester City
- This will be Liverpool's first League Cup game at Anfield this season following away wins at Exeter, Brighton, Stoke, Chelsea and Manchester City.
- The Reds have won 10 of their previous 13 League Cup semi-finals.
- Six of the previous seven teams to win the first leg of a League Cup semi-final 1-0 away have progressed to the final, with Tottenham the only team not to. Spurs won 1-0 at Arsenal in the first leg in 1987 but then lost 1-2 at White Hart Lane before losing a replay.
- Liverpool have become the third team to appear in 14 League Cup semi-finals, after Arsenal and Aston Villa; no team has appeared in more.
- Despite winning the competition in four successive seasons as a player, Kenny Dalglish has never won the League Cup as a manager.
- Liverpool eliminated City in their one previous League Cup semi-final meeting, winning 2-1 on aggregate in 1981.
- The Reds and the Citizens have met on two other previous occasions in this competition as well as that semi-final clash in 1981. Liverpool won 4-0 at home in 1995 and City won 3-2 at home in 1970 (both in the third round).
- The three previous games between the Reds and the Citizens in all competitions this season have seen a total of two red cards, two penalties scored and one own goal.
- City are without a win in nine games at Anfield in all competitions, drawing three and losing six.
- Liverpool have only lost one of their last 24 home games in all competitions, winning 13 and drawing 10.
- The Reds have conceded exactly one goal in nine of their last 12 home games, however.
Cardiff City v Crystal Palace
- This is the eighth League Cup semi-final between two non-top flight sides and the first since 2000, when Tranmere knocked out Bolton on penalties after a 1-1 draw on aggregate.
- The Eagles and the Bluebirds will be looking to become the first team from outside the top flight to win the League Cup since Sheffield Wednesday in 1991.
- This is only Cardiff's second appearance in the last four of the League Cup; the Welsh side lost 3-10 on aggregate to West Ham in the 1966 competition, conceding five goals in each leg.
- Palace have reached this stage three times before, losing each time, to Arsenal in 1993 and to Liverpool in 1995 and 2001.
- Only two teams have made it to the League Cup semi-finals more than three times and never progressed to the final; Burnley (five) and Ipswich Town (four).
- These sides have been drawn together twice before in the League Cup, with the Eagles progressing both times; 3-1 in the second round in 1970 and 2-1 on aggregate in the first round in 2001.
- 14 teams have previously won the first leg of a League Cup semi-final 1-0 at home, half have made it to the final and half have been eliminated.
- The Eagles have only kept one clean sheet in their last 16 away League Cup games.
- Cardiff have won their last 10 home League Cup ties in a row (including a penalty shootout victory).
- The last team to eliminate the Bluebirds from the League Cup in Cardiff was Barnet, who won 2-0 in August 2006