Champions League final: Opta Facts
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading supplier of sports performance data, bring you Opta Facts, the key statistics you'll need to make an informed choice with your football betting.
Champions League Final Opta Facts – Manchester United v Barcelona
- Of the previous three finals to be held in the Stadio Olimpico, two have been won by English sides (both Liverpool) and two have needed penalties to find a winner, including one of Liverpool's wins.
- Four of the last seven finals have ended in penalty shootouts.
- The last three Champions League finals have been lost by an English side.
- This will be United’s fifth final and their fourth in the Champions League/European Cup. The Red Devils have won all of their previous finals - 4-1 v Benfica in 1967/68, 2-1 v Barcelona in 1990/91 (CWC), 2-1 v Bayern in 1998/99 and they won on penalties against Chelsea last term following a 1-1 draw.
- Barcelona have played in five Champions League/European Cup finals prior to this match – winning twice and losing on three occasions.
- The last time that Barcelona reached a Champions League final, they defeated an English side (Arsenal) to lift the trophy.
- These two sides have met on nine previous occasions, with United managing three wins to Barcelona’s two.
- They have met in one final prior to this game, in 1990/91 when United defeated Barcelona 2-1 in the Cup Winners Cup Final.
- These two sides came face to face in last season’s Champions League semi-final. United prevailed 1-0 on aggregate thanks to a Paul Scholes goal in the second leg at Old Trafford.
- Barcelona have only managed to win once in their last eight Champions League fixtures against an English side.
- The Catalan side have scored just one goal in their last four European games against a team from England.
- United are unbeaten in their last seven Champions League meetings with Spanish sides.
- In their last six games against a side from Spain in the Champions League, they have only scored one goal, but have kept a clean sheet in each match.
- Manchester United are currently on an all-time record 25 game unbeaten run in the Champions League.
- Barcelona are six games unbeaten in Europe, but have lost once in the Champions League already this season – 3-2 v Shakthar Donetsk (H).
- United have kept a clean sheet in 13 of their last 18 Champions League matches.
- Lionel Messi is the leading scorer in this season's Champions League, with eight goals to his name.
- Edwin Van der Sar has kept more clean sheets than any other goalkeeper in the Champions League this season – seven.