Champions League Opta Facts - 13-14 March
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Internazionale - Marseille
- Marseille have beaten Inter by the same scoreline of 1-0 in each of their three meetings (the previous two games in the 2003/04 UEFA Cup quarter-final).
- Marseille are the only team with a 100% record against Inter Milan in European competition (excluding qualifiers).
- Marseille have never scored more than once in their 15 encounters against Italian opposition in Europe (excluding Intertoto Cup).
- Inter have failed to win their last three Champions League games (one draw, two defeats).
- The Nerazzurri have won just one of their last five Champions League home games, losing four times.
- Marseille are the only team to have won a Champions League game this season after going two goals behind (following their crucial 3-2 win over Borussia Dortmund).
- Inter have won four and lost seven of their last 12 Champions League matches.
- Marseille have kept nine clean sheets in their last 13 Champions League games.
- Four out of OM's last five Champions League goals have come from dead-ball situations.
- Marseille have won four of their last six Champions League games on the road (one draw, one defeat).
- Inter's last four Champions League goals have been scored by four different Argentine players (Samuel, Milito, Álvarez and Cambiasso).
- Andre Ayew has scored 50% of Marseille's Champions League goals this season (four out of eight).
- Marseille have recorded the worst shooting accuracy amongst teams who have qualified for the Last 16, hitting the target with just 37% of their attempts.
Bayern Munich - Basel
- Bayern had won the first four meetings between these two sides before Basel won the 1st leg by 1-0.
- Basel are unbeaten in four Champions League games (one draw followed by three consecutive wins), thus setting a new club record.
- Bayern have won ten of their last 11 Champions League home matches.
- In the 1st leg Basel kept a clean sheet for the 1st time in this Champions League season, they had been the only team to reach the Last 16 without a clean sheet.
- Bayern have never lost both legs of a knockout round in the European Cup/Champions League.
- Basel are the first Swiss side to reach the knock out stage in the Champions League era.
- Bayern's Franck Ribery and Basel's Xherdan Shaqiri have been fouled more often than any other players in this season's Champions League (23 times each).
- Nine of Bayern's 11 goals have been netted in the first half, the highest proportion in the Champions League this season (82%).
- The 1st leg win was Basel's first win against German opposition in Europe (two draws, four defeats).
- Basel have lost just one of their last eight matches in Europe, winning each of the last three.
- Alexander Frei has netted eight goals in just 12 Champions League appearances (excluding qualifiers).
- Mario Gomez has scored 14 goals in his last 12 Champions League appearances (excluding qualifiers).
Real Madrid - CSKA Moscow
- Real Madrid have qualified to the Champions League knockout stage for the 15th consecutive season, currently the longest run.
- The Russian side have never lost a European match against Spanish opposition, winning three and drawing three.
- This is only CSKA's second appearance in the Last 16 of the Champions League. In 2009/10 they eliminated a Spanish side - FC Sevilla - winning the 2nd leg 2-1 on the road after a 1-1 home draw.
- After an away draw in the 1st leg of a knockout round, Real have progressed in 11 out of 12 cases in the history of the European Cup. In 1991 though, Spartak Moscow eliminated Madrid with a 3-1 away win at the Bernabeu following a goalless draw in Russia.
- Real Madrid have lost just one of their last 20 Champions League games, but the draw in the 1st leg was the 1st game they failed to win this season - after 18 points and a +17 goal difference in the group stage, the best Champions League group stage performance in history.
- All three goals Madrid have conceded in Champions League this season have come in the last 10 minutes of play.
- Real haven't conceded a first-half goal in their last 21 Champions League games.
- CSKA are unbeaten in Champions League away games this season (one win, two draws), but they failed to keep a clean sheet in 11 of their last 12 Champions League away fixtures.
- Real have won eight of their last nine Champions League home games.
- Madrid have kept five clean sheets in their seven Champions League matches this season (more than any other side).
- Real Madrid have kept 13 clean sheets in 19 Champions League games under Jose Mourinho.
- Jose Mourinho has lost just three of his last 32 matches as a coach in the Champions League, with all three defeats at the hands of Barcelona.
- 50% of CSKA Moscow's Champions League goals this season have been scored by Seydou Doumbia (five out of 10).
Chelsea - Napoli
- The Blues have won just three of their seven Champions League matches this season despite having taken the lead in all seven games.
- Chelsea have won all three home games though, scoring 10 goals without reply.
- However, the Londoners have failed to score in each of their last three Champions League home games in the knockout stages.
- For the 1st time since 1966 (four straight wins in the Fairs Cup) have Napoli won three consecutive games in European competition.
- Both sides have scored in each of their seven Champions League games this season.
- Napoli have the best conversion rate in this season's Champions League, scoring with 22% of their shots.
- Six of the seven goals Napoli have shipped this term in the Champions League have been conceded in the first half.
- The Blues have drawn Italian opposition in two of the last three seasons at this stage, beating Juventus in 2008/09 and losing to Inter in 2009/10.
- Didier Drogba has scored four goals in his last four Champions League appearances, but failed to score in the 1st leg.
- Edinson Cavani (five goals, two assists) had a hand in seven of Napoli's 13 Champions League goals this season, including all three goals in the 1st leg.