Champions League Opta Facts – 23rd & 24th February
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Tuesday, 23 February 2010
- This will be the first meeting between the two sides in a competitive match.
- Olympiacos have won three of their four home meetings with French opposition in the Champions League.
- Bordeaux have only once before met Greek opponents in Europe, defeating Panionos 3-2 in Greece in the UEFA Cup in December 2007.
- This is the second time Bordeaux have made it past the first round of the Champions League - the last time they did this in 1999/00, they lost four and drew two of their six second group stage matches.
- Les Girondins had the best record in this season's group stages and were the only side to claim 16 points from their six matches.
- The French side have conceded only one goal in their last five Champions League matches, winning each of them.
- Olympiacos have failed to score in three of their last five Champions League games.
- The Greek side are unbeaten in eight consecutive matches at home in the Champions League, conceding only one goal in their last six on home turf.
- Olympiacos scored fewer goals in the group stage (four) than any other side to qualify for the knockout stages this season.
- Bordeaux have scored seven goals from set pieces so far in the tournament, more than any other side.
- Stuttgart met Barcelona in the group stages of the 2007/08 tournament, losing 2-0 at home and 3-1 at the Camp Nou.
- Barcelona are unbeaten in 13 consecutive matches against opposition from Germany, winning 11.
- In nine meetings with Spanish sides in all competitions, Stuttgart have managed only one win, losing on six occasions.
- Of all teams to qualify for the knockout stages only Olympiacos (4) scored fewer goals in the group stages of this season's Champions League than Barcelona (7).
- The Blaugrana have suffered only one defeat in their last 17 away matches in the Champions League, but have drawn five of the last six.
- Stuttgart have not kept a clean sheet in any of their last seven matches at home in the Champions League.
- Six of the German side's nine goals in the group stages came in the first 18 minutes of matches.
- Xavi crafted more shooting opportunities for his team-mates during the group stages than any other player (25).
Wednesday, 24 February 2010
- CSKA's only previous meeting with a Spanish side in the Champions League saw them draw 1-1 at home to Barcelona before a 3-2 win at the Camp Nou in 1992.
- Sevilla have scored exactly once on all four trips to play in Russia (all UEFA Cup).
- The Spanish side have won five of their last seven Champions League matches.
- CSKA have picked up only two wins from their last seven Champions League matches on home soil.
- Sevilla have scored at least twice in five of their last six Champions League games away from home.
- A competition-high 80% of CSKA goals have come from midfielders (eight out of 10).
- Sevilla have scored the most headed goals this season in the Champions League (5).
- Luis Fabiano of Sevilla and Tomas Necid of CSKA made the joint-most assists during the group stages: four. (along with Juan Vargas of Fiorentina).
- This is the first-ever meeting between Inter and Chelsea in Europe.
- Inter have failed to score in their last four clashes with English opponents in the Champions League.
- The Italians have won none of their five home meetings with English sides in the Champions League.
- Jose Mourinho's side have picked up just two wins from their last 11 matches in the competition.
- During Jose Mourinho's tenure at Inter, they have won just two of their seven matches at home in European competition, drawing four and losing one (vs Panathinaikos).
- The Blues have lost only one of their five matches in Italy in the Champions League.
- Chelsea are unbeaten in 14 matches in the Champions League.
- 10 of the Blues' last 11 defeats in Europe have come away from Stamford Bridge.
- Didier Drogba has scored eight goals in his last 10 appearances in the Champions League.
- Of all teams to qualify for the knockout stages only Olympiacos (4) scored fewer goals in the group stages of this season's Champions League than Inter (7).