Champions League: Opta Facts 5-6 May
Football facts to aid your betting from all the major leagues in Europe plus the Champions League.
Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading supplier of sports performance data, bring you Opta Facts, the key statistics you'll need to make an informed choice with your football betting.
The Champions League semi-final second legs take place this week and we are in store for two cracking matches as four of the biggest sides in Europe battle it out to reach the pinnacle of the European football season, the Champions League final. Both ties are finely poised, so there is plenty of betting action on the cards, who will make the Rome final?
- Of the 12 previous CL semi-finals to have been won by the home side in the first leg, this victorious side has gone on to reach the final on nine occasions.
- Manchester United were leading by one goal after the first leg of their semi-final tie against AC Milan in 2006/07 at Old Trafford (3-2), but missed out on getting to the final after a 3-0 away defeat.
- This will be the fifth consecutive season that England have been represented by a side in the Champions League final.
- Arsenal have never gone through after losing the first leg of a Champions League knockout tie.
- United have won seven first-leg ties in the Champions League knockout stages - only going on to lose the next leg on one occasion - against AC Milan in 2007.
- This match also marked the last time United lost in the Champions League, 24 games ago.
- Sir Alex Ferguson's men have conceded just one goal in their last seven European away fixtures.
- The Gunners have only won two of their last seven matches against United at home in all competitions.
- They have also failed to keep a clean sheet in their last six encounters with Manchester Utd, in all competitions.
- Arsenal have kept 11 clean sheets in their last 12 matches at the Emirates in all competitions.
- On top of this, Arsene Wenger's side has kept a clean sheet in each of their five Champions League matches at home this season.
- Arsenal have not lost a Champions League home tie since the start of the 2004/05 season. It was against an English side (1-2 v Chelsea, quarter-final 2nd leg). Since then, in 24 home games, the Gunners have won 16 and drawn eight.
- Manchester United have not lost in any of the 11 Premier League and Champions League matches that Rio Ferdinand has not played in this season.
- Chelsea were the first team to stop Barcelona from scoring at the Nou Camp this season in the first-leg (0-0).
- Of the 10 previous CL semi-finals to have finished all square in the first leg, the side at home in the second leg has reached the final on seven occasions.
- Chelsea have drawn the first leg of a CL semi final tie on two occasions. In 2004/05, they exited the competition to Liverpool after a 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge in the first leg - going on to lose 1-0 at Anfield in the second leg. Last season they avenged this defeat with a 3-2 home win in the second leg after a 1-1 draw at Anfield in the first meeting.
- Barcelona have only drawn the first leg of a semi-final tie on one occasion - this came last season against Manchester United, which they drew 0-0 at home. United went on to defeat the Spaniard's in the second leg (1-0) at Old Trafford to reach the final.
- The last side to defeat Chelsea at home in the Champions League was Barcelona when they won 2-1 in 2006.
- This was the London side's only loss to the Blaugrana at home, winning their other three encounters on home soil.
- Since then the Blues have won 13 of their 17 European matches at Stamford Bridge
- Barcelona have drawn both of the away legs of their Champions League knockout matches 1-1 this season against Lyon and Bayern Munich.
- Chelsea have averaged 2.5 goals per game at home in the Champions League since the start of 2008, winning six of these seven matches.
- Chelsea have drawn the first leg of a Champions League knockout match on six occasions, winning the next leg five times, and losing once (against Liverpool in 2005).
- Barcelona, on the other hand, have lost three of the six CL knockout matches in which they have drawn the first leg.