Champions League Opta Facts - November 1-2
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Bayern Munich v Napoli
- Bayern have failed to scored in only one of their last 20 Champions League games, the 2009/10 final against Inter.
- In their last 11 CL games, Bayern have found the net 24 times (an average of 2.2 goals per game).
- Of their last 11 CL games, Bayern have won eight (two losses, one draw). But those three winless games have all come against Italian opposition (2-3 v Roma in November 2010, 2-3 v Inter in last season's round of 16, and this season's 1-1 draw at Napoli).
- At home, Bayern have won eight of their last nine CL games (one loss).
- Mario Gomez has scored 10 goals in his last nine CL games.
- Gomez' last three CL goals have come in Munich's Allianz Arena, but 10 of his 14 goals overall in the Champions League have come away from home.
- Following their 1-1 draw at Napoli, the Italians are now unbeaten against Bayern in all of their three meetings (two draws, one win).
- Four of Bayern's last five CL losses have come against teams from Italy, including their last three.
- Napoli have never won on German soil. Overall, they are winless in eight games against German opposition (three losses, five draws), and have lost the latest two.
Villarreal v Manchester City
- In the first leg against Villarreal, Manchester City celebrated their first ever win in the Champions League.
- After this season's three CL matchdays, 2006 semifinalists Villarreal are still without a single point in the table.
- Villarreal hitman Giuseppe Rossi has now gone over nine hours without finding the net (563 minutes of play) - his last goal has come in the 2008/09 season, in the round of 16 against Panathinaikos (penalty).
- The Spaniards have failed to score in 3 of their last 4 CL games.
- Almost a quarter of Villarreal's CL games (6 of 25) have been scoreless draws.
- The Yellow Submarine have won only one of their last ten CL games (four draws, five losses).
- The Citizens haven't won any of their last five away games in European competition (two draws, three losses) - their last victory on foreign soil came in September 2010 at Red Bull Salzburg.
- Man City have failed to score in their last three away games in European competition - they haven't found the net away from home in 283 minutes of European football.
- In their rather brief CL history, Villarreal have faced English teams nine times already and have failed to win one (six draws, three losses).
Trabzonspor v CSKA Moscow
- The Russians have lost only one of their last six away games in European competition, qualifiers excluded (three wins, two draws).
- Moscow have kept a clean sheet in only one of their last 21 CL games - their 3-0 against Trabzonspor in the first leg.
- At home, Trabzonspor have lost only one of their last seven games in European competition (excl. qualifiers) (three wins, three draws).
- CSKA have lost only one of their seven European Cup/CL meetings with Turkish teams (four wins, two draws).
- Only Napoli (4) have fired fewer shots on target than Trabzonspor (5).
- Moscow's Seydou Doumbia has scored 11 goals in his last ten games in European competition for CSKA (four goals in the Europa League, three goals in EL qualification, four in the CL). With his four CL goals this season, he is the leading goalscorer.
- The Russians have a dream duo in their attack: Vagner Love (one goal, two assists) and Seydou Doumbia (four goals) have had a hand in five of Moscow's last six CL goals.
Inter Milan v Lille
- In the first leg, Lille and Inter met for the first time in a competitive game - the Italians had the upper hand at Lille (1-0).
- Lille have won only one of their last eight games in European competition (four draws, three losses).
- Inter have lost all of their last three CL home games (0-1 vs Bayern, 2-5 vs Schalke and 0-1 vs Trabzonspor) - this is a record for the Italian outfit.
- Against French opposition, Inter have won only one of their last seven games in European competition (three draws, three losses) - that was the first leg at Lille.
- Lille have five wins in nine meetings with teams from Italy, qualifiers included (one draw, three losses).
- Lille have kept a clean sheet in five of their seven games against Italian teams in UEFA club competitions.
- A bad omen for the French outfit: 82% of all teams that gained only two points from the first three CL group games were eliminated from that competition at the end of the group stage.
- In 2010/11, Inter Milan survived the CL group stage for the seventh season in a row.
Manchester United v Otelul Galati
- The first leg, which was the first meeting between the two teams, was won by Man Utd (2-0).
- In European competition (incl. qualifiers), the English outfit has won all three meetings with teams from Romania.
- The Red Devils are unbeaten in their last nine CL home games (six wins, three draws).
- Galati are still waiting for their first point in CL play. They have lost four of their last five European games, qualifiers included.
- Wayne Rooney is the leading English goal scorer in the Champions League (26 goals).
- Ryan Giggs was 37 years and 289 days old when he scored in Lisbon, increasing his own record for the oldest goal scorer in CL history by 141 days.
- Giggs has found the net in 16 of his 17 CL seasons - the only season in which the Welshman didn't score was 2007/08 (in spite of his nine appearances that season). No other player has scored at least once in so many different CL seasons.
- In the first leg in Galati, the Red Devils managed to keep a clean sheet after conceding eight goals in their last four CL games.
Benfica v Basel
- Basel haven't won a point or scored a goal in five games against Portuguese teams in UEFA club competitions (excl. qualifiers).
- Basel have won only one of their last ten CL away games (three draws, six losses).
- Benfica have lost only one of their last six CL home games (three wins, two draws).
- For the first time since 1991/92, Benfica have won two away games in a row in Europe's biggest club competition (then European Cup, now Champions League).
- On matchday 3, the Portuguese record champions kept a clean sheet for the second time in a row. In the 6 CL games before, Benfica had conceded 13 goals, and at least two in five of those games.
- Benfica midfielder Nicolas Gaitan had three assists in this season's three CL games, the most of all players.
- Alexander Frei (three goals) and his namesake Fabian (two) have scored all of Basel's Champions League goals this term.
- The Portuguese outfit have found the net in each of their CL games 2011/12, and scored twice in their 2-0 win at Basel - they have managed to net more than once in just one of their last 11 CL away games (2-1 at Donetsk in December 2007).
Ajax Amsterdam v Dinamo Zagreb
- Dinamo have won only one of their seven CL away games - and that win was at Amsterdam! On 25/11/1998, the Croats won 1-0 in their group meeting.
- Amsterdam have won the last three European meetings between the two teams.
- Zagreb is one of three teams in this season's Champions League that haven't gained a point yet. In the competition's history, this has happened to a team 46 times before, and only one of those teams made it to the next round (Newcastle United in 2002/03).
- Ajax have lost only one of their last seven CL home games (three wins, three draws). But that defeat was a clear one - the Dutch outfit lost 0-4 to Real Madrid in November 2010.
- Ajax haven't found the net in their last two CL home games - they have never gone three at home without scoring.
- The Croats haven't won any of their last six CL games, losing five of them (one draw).
- Zagreb is the only team apart from Genk that has yet to score in this season's competition. If they go one more without scoring, it would be a club record.
- Only Porto have received more yellow cards (11) than the Croats have (10, like Napoli), while Ajax have received the fewest (1).
Lyon v Real Madrid
- Lyon have won only one of their last ten CL games against Spanish opposition (five draws, four losses) - In February 2010 they won 1-0 against Real.
- Lyon have won three of their four CL home games against the Merengues (one draw).
- Real are the only team in this season's Champions League that has won all three of their group games, and they are also the only team that has yet to concede a goal (8-0 goals total).
- The French outfit has won only one of their last eight CL games (four losses, three draws) - on matchday 2 they won 2-0 against Dinamo Zagreb.
- At home, the Lyonnais have fared much better: They have lost only one of their last 12 CL home games (seven wins, four draws) - that was in the second leg of the semifinals 2009/10, when they lost 0-3 against Bayern.
- Real Madrid have lost only one of their last 16 CL games (11 wins, four draws) - that was in April 2011 against Barcelona (0-2).
- Madrid have conceded only six goals in their last 15 CL games.
- Karim Benzema has scored the most of his goals against French opposition (6).
Genk v Chelsea
- Chelsea have won the last four European meetings with Belgian teams, conceding no goals at all in those games. In Belgium, however, the Blues' record is negative (one win, two losses).
- Genk have won none of their last 13 games in European competitions (excl. qualifiers) - they have only managed six draws and have lost seven.
- Just like 2002/03, when they had qualified for the CL for the first time, the Belgian outfit has failed to score in their first three group games.
- Genk have won none of their nine CL games so far, although they did manage five draws.
- Four of the last six CL games involving Genk have been draws.
- Chelsea's 5-0 win in the first leg was the Blues' biggest margin of victory in their CL history (they also beat Galatasaray 5-0 in October 1999).
- Only Barcelona (nine times) have scored more goals than Chelsea (eight), and only Real Madrid (0) have conceded fewer goals than the Londoners (1).
Valencia v Bayer Leverkusen
- Leverkusen are winless in their last nine CL away games (seven losses, two draws). Their last victory on foreign soil was in Haifa (2-0) on 01/10/2002.
- Valencia have won only one of their last 15 meetings with German teams. Eight of those games resulted in draws, six were Valencia losses.
- The Spaniards have won none of their last six CL games (four draws, two losses).
- Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno has made 21 saves in the first three games, more than any other keeper.
- Valencia have conceded more than one goal in only two of their last 13 CL games, but both of those games were against German teams (this season's 1-2 at Leverkusen and last season's 1-3 at Schalke in the round of 16).
- This is Valencia's worst start ever to a CL campaign.
- In 1997/98 and in 2004/05, Leverkusen also had gained six points from the first three group games. In both cases they ended up first or second in the table.
Borussia Dortmund v Olympiakos
- Borussia have won only one of their last eight games in European competitions (3-0 against Karpaty Lviv in last season's Europa League), drawing four and losing three.
- However, the German champions have lost only one of their last 11 CL home games (five wins, five draws).
- Olympiakos are winless in their last six CL away games, losing five of those games (one draw).
- In those six away games, Olympiakos failed to score on four occasions and managed only two goals overall. In five of the six games, however, they conceded at least two goals.
- Dortmund have never had to a worse start in to a CL season. Another loss would all but end their chances of qualifying for the round of 16.
- The Greeks have lost four of their last five CL games. The only win, though, came in the first leg against Dortmund (3-1).
- Dortmund's chances of qualifying for the next round have fallen dramatically: Only 9% of all teams to have gained only one point from their first three group games ended up first or second in the table.
- Olympiakos have won the last four meetings with German teams in UEFA club competitions, scoring 13 goals and conceding only two in those games.
Arsenal v Marseille
- Marseille have lost six of their last eight CL games against English teams (one win, one draw).
- Arsenal have lost only two of their 17 games against French opposition in European competitions (nine wins, six draws).
- Marseille have won their last three CL away games in the group stages, keeping a clean sheet in all of those games (goal difference 11-0).
- The Gunners have lost only one of their last 35 CL home games (1-3 in the semifinals 2008/09 against Manchester United). They won 25 of the remaining 34 (nine draws).
- The French outfit has kept a clean sheet in seven of their last nine European games (excl. qualifiers).
- A win would secure Arsenal a place in the round of 16.
- In their last ten home games (of which they won nine and drawn one), Arsenal have scored an average of 3.3 goals per game.
- Arsenal midfielder Alexandre Song has already won 18 tackles, by far the most of all players in the competition.
APOEL Nicosia v Porto
- Porto and Nicosia are facing each other for the fourth time in two years now. In this season's first leg, the Cypriots gained their first point at Porto (having lost two before).
- APOEL are winless in five European games against Portuguese opposition, losing four (one draw).
- Nicosia are winless in their last 33 away games in European competitions (excl. qualifiers), but have drawn five of their last six.
- The Cypriots have lost only one of their last 10 European games, qualifiers included.
- In the first leg, referee Antony Gautier handed out 11 yellow cards. This has happened only once in the CL - in the first leg of the 2006/07 round of 16 game between Lyon and Roma.
- Porto have fired 65 shots, ranking first ahead of favourites Real (64) and Barcelona (63) in this category.
- APOEL has already gained five points, two more than in their entire 2009/10 campaign. This record is also the best ever start for a Cyprian team in the CL.
- Hulk has had a hand in at least one goal in each of his team's CL games this season - something that only Lionel Messi, David Villa, Alan Dzagoev and Nicolas Gaitan have managed apart from the Brazilian.
Zenit St Petersburg v Shakhtar Donetsk
- The last time Donetsk had a worse record after three group games than now (two points) was in 2006/07. That season they ended up third in the table and entered the UEFA Cup - just like Zenit did in 2008/09.
- Zenit have gained three more points from their first three games than in 2008/09 when they first played in the CL - that season they didn't manage a win until matchday 4.
- Shakhtar are winless in their last five CL games - a club record -, having lost three of those games (two draws).
- Zenit's win against Porto on matchday 2 was only the second CL victory for the Russian outfit (they have drawn three and lost four apart from that).
- Before the first leg between the two teams, Shakhtar had faced a team from Russia only once in European competitions (excl. qualifiers). That was in March 2009, when they eliminated CSKA Moscow (0-1 A, 2-0 H) in the UEFA Cup round of 16.
- All four Shakhtar goals this season were scored by Brazilians (two by Luiz Adriano, one each by Jadson and Willian). The only two assists on those goals were also provided by Brazilian players (Jadson and Teixeira).
- In the first leg, Zenit fired 23 shots - a number bettered only by Real (in their 1-0 win at Zagreb on matchday 1) in an away game of this season's competition.
Viktoria Plzeň v Barcelona
- In their 0-2 defeat at Camp Nou in the first leg, Viktoria was the first team in this season's CL that did not fire a single shot during the entire game.
- With a win at Plzen, Pep Guardiola's team would guarantee qualification for the round of 16 if Milan manage at least a draw in the group's other game on matchday 4.
- Barcelona have found the net at least once in each of their last 24 CL games - the last CL team to keep a clean sheet against the Catalans was Rubin Kazan in November 2009.
- Victor Valdes has made just one save in three Champions League games this season.
- Barcelona's overall record in the CL against Czech opposition is now six wins, one draw and two losses.
- Lionel Messi, who assisted on Andres Iniesta's 1-0 in the first leg, has had a hand in 51 goals in his 60 CL appearances (39 goals, 12 assists).
BATE Borisov v AC Milan
- Borisov have won none of their nine CL games (four draws, five losses).
- Of the five European meetings with teams from Italy, BATE have lost three and drawn two, scoring two goals and conceding 10 in the process (qualifiers excluded).
- When BATE first played in the CL in 2008/09, they ended up last in the table despite having gained two points from their first three group games (they have gained only one point now).
- Borisov's Marko Simic has collected two yellow cards - he will be suspended automatically if he gets another one.
- Milan's European record against Borisov (their only opponent from Belarus) is flawless: They won three of three, scoring eight goals and conceding none.
- In the first leg, Milan fired considerably more shots (28) than they had in their first two games combined (20).
- Twice before in their CL history, the Italian outfit have gained seven points from their first three group games - they ended up first in the table on both occasions.
- Milan's Zlatan Ibrahimovic fired ten shots in the first leg against BATE - only Barca's Lionel Messi has had more in one game (11, on matchday two at Borisov).