Championship Opta Facts - 15 August
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Championship Opta Facts – 15 August
Barnsley v Coventry
- Barnsley have not managed to defeat Coventry City in any of their last nine attempts.
- Eight of the last ten goals scored by the Sky Blues in this fixture have arrived in the second half.
- Coventry have won in their last three trips to Oakwell.
- The Tykes have taken only 10 points from their 10 Championship home games so far in 2009.
- Clinton Morrison, who scored a brace in City’s opening-day win over Ipswich, was Coventry’s top scorer away from home in 2008/09, with six league goals on the road.
Blackpool v Cardiff
- Cardiff are unbeaten in five successive matches against Blackpool, of which they have won four.
- Blackpool have won 15 of their last 20 home games against Cardiff City, losing only once in this period.
- If only home form had counted in the Championship last season, the Seasiders would have finished second from bottom.
- 12 of the Bluebirds’ away matches in the Championship in 2008/09 ended in draws – more than any other side.
Bristol City v Crystal Palace
- Only one of the last 11 meetings between these two sides has been won by the away side.
- Nicky Maynard scored in both matches against Palace for City last term.
- No side picked up fewer points on the road than Palace in 2009 in the Championship last season (six).
- The Robins drew 13 of their home matches in 2008/09 – a league-high. Moreover, no side lost fewer home games (three).
Doncaster v Preston
- Preston have won their last four matches against Doncaster and are unbeaten in six against Rovers.
- Doncaster have won just twice in their last six meetings with Preston.
- The Keepmoat Stadium saw fewer goals than any other ground in the Championship in 2008/09 (34).
- Rovers’ draw on the first day of the season was only their second in the league since November 2008.
- Preston have scored at least twice in their last five league matches (including 2008/09).
Ipswich v Leicester City
- The away side has won only once in the last eight matches between Ipswich and Leicester City.
- Ipswich have lost three of their last four meetings with the Foxes.
- The Tractor Boys scored fewer goals at home (30) than away (32) in the Championship in 2008/09.
- Leicester scored 43 goals on the road in League One in 2008/09 – 1.87 per game, a higher average than any team in all four tiers of English football.
- The Foxes won four of their last five away matches in League One.
Newcastle v Reading
- The away side have not won any of the previous 10 meetings between these two sides.
- The home team in this fixture have prevailed in their last five encounters.
- Over the ten previous meetings between these sides, the home team have averaged 2.9 goals a game.
- Reading kept five clean sheets in their last six away matches in the Championship last season.
- Shane Long bagged three goals in the Royals’ final two trips away in the league.
Nottingham Forest v West Brom
- The away side have won the last three league meetings between these two sides.
- The winning team have kept a clean sheet on each of the last seven occasions that they have met.
- The Baggies’ last league win on the road was on 27th September 2008 against Middlesbrough – their only away win of last season.
- Indeed, after this win, West Brom took only four points from their remaining 16 away matches.
- Chris Brunt has scored four of their seven away league goals in 2009.
Peterborough v Sheffield Wednesday
- The home side has prevailed in six of the last seven meetings between the two teams.
- Peterborough have won only twice in their previous six home matches against the Owls.
- Wednesday conceded more goals on the road in the Championship last season than any other side (44).
- The Posh only failed to score at home twice in 2008/09 in the league.
- The Owls kept only one clean sheet on the road in their last 13 league matches of 2008/09.
Plymouth v QPR
- Five of the last eight matches between Plymouth and QPR have ended as a draw.
- Plymouth are unbeaten in their last nine matches against QPR.
- Argyle managed only eight points at home in the league in 2009 – fewer than any other side in the Championship.
- QPR failed to win in their last eight Championship away matches in 2008/09, failing to score in five.
- The Pilgrims conceded at least twice in four of their last five home matches in the league in 2008/09.
Scunthorpe v Derby
- The last three matches played between these two sides have seen no fewer than 17 goals scored.
- Derby have suffered a defeat in their last three visits to Scunthorpe.
- In the last 13 meetings between the two sides, only on two occasions has a team failed to score.
- Only two sides (Leeds and Hartlepool) scored more goals at home in League One in 2008/09 than Scunthorpe.
- The Rams lost four of their last five away matches in the Championship in 2008/09.
Sheffield United v Watford
- United have tasted defeat in just one of their last six meetings with the Hornets.
- Only three of their last 13 meetings have been won by the home side.
- Last season, Watford won only one of their eight meetings with Yorkshire sides in the Championship.
- The Blades were unbeaten in their last seven league matches at Bramall Lane in 2008/09.
- Watford won two of their last three away matches in the league last season.
Swansea v Middlesbrough
- Boro’ are winless from their last three meetings with Swansea, with their last victory coming in November 1983.
- No Championship side took more points than Swansea (22) in their 10 home games in 2009 last season.
- ‘Boro’s last win on the road in the league came at Aston Villa in November 2008, losing their last 12 away matches in the Premier League back-to-back, scoring just four goals in the process.
- Only one of the Swans’ last 10 home matches of 2008/09 in the league ended in a draw.
- Swansea have now lost their last three league matches, all by a one-goal margin.