Championship Opta Facts - 5-7 August
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Brighton v Doncaster
- The last five meetings between these sides in all competitions have produced a total of just four goals.
- Only one of the last seven clashes between the sides on the South Coast has ended in a draw.
- The Seagulls scored in each of their final 16 League One games as they finished last season in first place.
- Donny conceded a whopping 22 goals in the final 15 minutes of games last season, a second tier high.
- Brighton are playing at home on the opening day for only the second time in the last 12 seasons in the football league.
- Since their return to the football league in 2003, Doncaster have never conceded more than once on the opening day.
Bristol City v Ipswich
- Ipswich have lost just one of their last 10 clashes with the Robins and are unbeaten in six against them.
- The Portman Road side's last 11 goals against Bristol City have all come in the second half.
- Jon Stead netted a goal in each of the last three league games of the season for City.
- Ipswich conceded 14 goals in their last four league games of 2010/11 combined.
- Bristol City have lost only one of their 11 matches on the opening day of the season since the turn of the millennium, last season against Millwall (3-0).
- Both sides have found the net in Ipswich's last five matches on the opening day of the season.
Burnley v Watford
- The last nine clashes between these sides have seen at least three goals netted, with the winning side bagging exactly three goals in each of the last four encounters.
- The Hornets have only won two of their previous 14 trips to Turf Moor, with their latest victory being a 7-4 thriller in April 2003.
- Burnley gained 30 points from losing positions in the 2010/11 Championship season, the most of all clubs.
- The Hornets, on the other hand, lost 37 points from winning positions - a league-high.
- Burnley have won their last three matches at home on the opening day of the season.
- Watford are unbeaten in their last three matches on the road on the opening day of the season (two wins).
Coventry v Leicester
- None of the last 12 clashes between these sides have been won by the away side, with the last four all ending in draws.
- Foxes midfielder Andy King has netted three goals in his last three games against the Sky Blues.
- The Sky Blues won the fewest points from losing positions in the second flight last season (four) and were one of two teams (with Hull) that didn't win a single game they were behind in.
- The Foxes netted at least one goal in 11 of their last 12 league games.
- Coventry have won their last five matches on the opening day of the season and are unbeaten since 2000.
- Leicester City have lost their last four matches on the road on the opening day of the campaign.
Derby v Birmingham
- Birmingham are unbeaten in eight meetings with Derby in all competitions, not losing to the Rams since November 1995.
- The Blues have lost just one of their last nine trips to Derby, a 1-3 defeat in December 1992.
- The Rams only managed six goals in the final 15 minutes of games last season, a league-low.
- Birmingham had the least potent attack in the PL last term, netting just 37 goals.
- Derby have won only one of their last six matches when they have started the season at home.
- Birmingham are without a win in the last eight matches when they have started the season on the road.
Hull v Blackpool
- Only two of the last 11 clashes between these sides have ended in draws.
- The Seasiders have only won one of their last 17 trips to Hull in all competitions - a 1-0 win in January 2001.
- The KC Stadium saw fewer goals than any other Championship ground in 2010/11 (38).
- Blackpool scored more goals than any other side ever to be relegated from the Premier League last season (55).
- Hull have only lost one of the last eight matches when they have started the season at home.
- Blackpool have only won twice on the opening day of the season in the last 10 campaigns (seven defeats).
Middlesbrough v Portsmouth
- Boro have been reduced to 10 men in each of their last two meetings with Pompey at the Riverside.
- Portsmouth have only won one of their last nine visits to Middlesbrough, although that was a 4-0 drubbing in August 2006.
- Middlesbrough won all of their last four league games in 2010/11, finishing the campaign in the top half of the table.
- Portsmouth were the slowest starters of the Championship last season, netting just three goals in the opening 15 minutes all season.
- Middlesbrough have won only one of their last 10 matches on the opening day of the season.
- Pompey have failed to score in their opening match in each of the last three seasons, losing all of them.
Nottingham Forest v Barnsley
- Forest's Lewis McGugan and Barnsley hitman Andy Gray both netted in each of the two fixtures between these sides last term.
- Only one of the last 11 meetings between these sides has been won by the away side.
- Forest won each of their last four regular league games last season, but were knocked out by Swansea in the playoff semi-finals.
- Kris Boyd netted four goals in the last three regular season games for Forest.
- Forest have failed to score on the opening day in each of the last four seasons (three 0-0 draws and one 0-1 defeat).
- Barnsley are without a win on the opening day since 2005 (four defeats and one draw since).
Peterborough v Crystal Palace
- Palace have only picked up one win from their 11 previous trips to Peterborough, although the last two clashes at London Road have both finished 1-1.
- Overall, the Posh have only won one of their last 10 clashes with the Eagles, losing five and drawing four.
- The Posh were the country's top scorers last season, banging in a total of 106 goals in the league alone.
- Palace won just one away game in the entire 2010/11 league campaign, gaining the fewest points on the road of all sides in the division (nine).
- Peterborough have scored at least three times on each of the last three occasions that they have started the season at London Road.
- Palace have only lost one of their last 10 games on the opening day.
Reading v Millwall
- The Royals have won eight of the last 10 clashes between these sides, losing on just one occasion.
- Reading have also won seven of their last eight home meetings with Millwall, losing the other 3-4 in January 2001.
- The Royals scored and conceded in 10 of their last 12 regular Championship home matches last term.
- Millwall lost their last two league games in 2010/11 without scoring. They didn't go three games without finding the net all season.
- Three of Reading's last four matches on the opening day of the season have ended goalless, with their 2-1 defeat at home to Scunthorpe last year being the exception.
- The last time these sides met on the opening day of the season was in the Third Tier in 2000 - Millwall won 2-0 at home to Reading.
Southampton v Leeds
- The last seven clashes between these sides at the home of the Saints have all been settled by the odd goal.
- Indeed, none of the last 11 encounters between these sides on the South Coast have ended in draws, with the sides sharing the spoils last there in August 1995.
- Southampton had the best defence in the third tier in 2010/11, conceding just 38 goals on the road to promotion.
- Leeds had lost four consecutive away games in the league before their 2-1 win at QPR on the final day of the 2010/11 season.
- The last time these sides met on the opening day of the season was in the Premier League in 2001 - Leeds won 2-0 at home to Southampton.
- The Saints have won only one of their last 22 matches on the opening day of the season since 1989.
- Defeat at home to Derby last season ended a run of 20 consecutive campaigns when Leeds were unbeaten on the opening day.
West Ham v Cardiff
- The Hammers have won their last four home meetings with Cardiff and are unbeaten in 14 against the Bluebirds at Upton Park, a record dating back to 1950.
- All of the last three meetings between these sides in East London have finished 1-0 to the Hammers.
- The Hammers lost seven of their last eight league games in 2010/11 as they suffered relegation from the top flight.
- Cardiff were the most prolific team in the opening 15 minutes of games last season, netting 16 goals in the first quarter-hour period.
- West Ham have won four of the last five matches when they have started the season at home.
- Cardiff have only lost one of their last 10 games on the road on the opening day of the season.