Community Shield Opta Facts - Man City v Man Utd
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
- Since the creation of the Premier League, only seven of the 19 Community Shield winners have gone on to win the Premier League.
- Despite this, the winners of the Community Shield have gone onto win the Premier League trophy in five out of the last six campaigns.
- Three of the last four Community Shields have been decided by a penalty shootout.
- Manchester United have competed in 14 of the previous 19 Community Shields in the Premier League era, whereas City will be making their first appearance in the season's curtain raiser since 1973.
- This will be United's 10th successive appearance in a Community Shield match held at Wembley.
- Only one of the last 14 meetings between these Manchester rivals in all competitions has ended as a draw.
- The Citizens picked up the victory when the sides last met at Wembley, winning 1-0 in the 2011 FA Cup semi-final thanks to a goal from Yaya Toure.
- Should he play, this will be Ryan Giggs' 14th appearance in the Community Shield. Since his debut for the Red Devils, he has appeared in all but one of United's appearances in the competition, missing out only in 1999.
- Sir Alex Ferguson's side have won more Community Shield (formerly Charity Shield) titles than any other team (18).
- The two Manchester giants have met once before in this competition. In 1956, Manchester United triumphed over City with a 1-0 victory.
- The last four cup meetings between these sides have seen a total of 16 goals scored, with both sides scoring at least once on each occasion.