English Premier League Opta Facts: 18-19 August
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Sunderland v Chelsea
- Chelsea are looking for their 10th successive Premier League win against the Black Cats.
- Sunderland have scored just four goals in their last 10 top-flight games against Chelsea.
- The Black Cats lost four of their last five Premier League home matches of 2008/09, including on the last day of the season against Chelsea.
- Chelsea racked up 44 away points in 2008/09, more than any other team.
- Darren Bent has scored in his last three Premier League starts.
- Chelsea put eight goals past Sunderland in their two meetings last season, four of which were scored by Nicolas Anelka.
Wigan Athletic v Wolverhampton Wanderers
- The six league games between these sides have averaged an entertaining 4.1 goals per game.
- There has never been an away win in any of these league encounters.
- Hugo Rodallega has scored four goals in his last five Premier League games – only one other player has scored for Wigan in their last seven Premier League games (Jason Koumas).
- Wolves did not manage a single away win in their last top-flight campaign in 2003/04.
- The Latics have failed to score more than once in all of their home league matches in 2009.
Birmingham City v Portsmouth
- Pompey have failed to score in three of their four Premier League visits to St Andrews.
- However the South Coast side won both of their meetings with City in 2007/08 by two goals.
- Birmingham conceded only 20 goals in 23 home games in 2008/09.
- Pompey failed to score in their last five away league matches of 2008/09.
- Birmingham went eight consecutive matches unbeaten at home (winning three) to end their last top-flight campaign in 2007/08.
- 10 of the last 15 goals in this fixture have come in the first or last 10 minutes of the match.
Burnley v Manchester United
- Manchester United are unbeaten in their last 17 games against Burnley in all competitions.
- The Red Devils have kept four consecutive clean sheets in matches with Burnley.
- The Clarets lost only four of their 23 home games in the Championship last season.
- Burnley scored 42 league goals at Turf Moor last season – only Champions Wolves (44) managed more at home in the Championship.
- Wayne Rooney has scored eight goals in his last 10 Premier League matches at Old Trafford, but only two in his last 10 away from home.
- United have not failed to win a league match against a newly-promoted side since a 1-1 draw at Reading in September 2006, winning 16 since then.
Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur
- Both games between these teams last season ended as away wins.
- 63% of Hull's Premier League wins in 2008/09 came against London sides.
- Hull have picked up just eight league points in 2009, fewer than any other Premier League team.
- Phil Brown's side have conceded before half-time in their last eight league matches.
- The Tigers have not scored more than once in a match since 31 January – 15 league games ago.
- On Sunday both Assou-Ekotto and Bassong scored their first-ever Premier League goals – last season Spurs' defenders contributed just three goals all season.
Liverpool v Stoke City
- Last season, Stoke did not manage a shot on target in two games against Liverpool but still took two points from the Anfield giants, with both matches ending goalless.
- Liverpool were the only Premier League team not to lose a home game in 2008/09.
- Stoke kept just one clean sheet in their last 13 away league matches of 2008/09.
- The Reds scored at least three goals in their last five league games at Anfield in 2008/09.
- Steven Gerrard has scored eight goals in his last eight Premier League games for Liverpool.
- Ricardo Fuller opened the scoring for Stoke in three of their last four away league matches of last season.