Euro 2012 Opta Facts - Group C Round Three
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Croatia v Spain
- Spain are unbeaten in three games against Croatia, last tasting defeat to them in 1994.
- This will be the first competitive meeting between these two sides.
- If Croatia and Spain share a draw in this match, scoring two or more goals each, they will both reach the quarter-finals.
- Croatia are unbeaten in their last six fixtures at the European Championship Finals (four wins), and have scored in each of the last eight.
- Spain are unbeaten in each of their last eight games at Euro Finals.
- Last Thursday's 4-0 win over the Republic of Ireland ended a run of five consecutive games between Euros and World Cup in which La Roja had always scored exactly one goal.
- Antonio Di Natale's goal in the opening game of this tournament was the only one Spain have conceded over their last six games in major international tournaments.
- Over their last 24 fixtures at Euros and World Cup, the only side able to score more than a single goal against Spain were France (3-1 in the 2006 World Cup).
- Mario Mandzukic has had only four shots at Euro 2012 but has scored with three of them.
- The brace netted against Ireland has allowed Fernando Torres to join David Villa as the Spanish best-scorer at European Championships on four goals.
- In their last game against Ireland, Spain set a new record for most passes in a match at the Euros: 860 (previous most was 778).
Italy v Republic of Ireland
- Italy will be eliminated if they fail to win this match.
- These sides have met twice before in major tournaments, picking up one victory apiece; Italy had the better at home soil in the World Cup 1990, Ireland got their revenge by the same scoreline in 1994 in the USA.
- That win in USA '94 remains Ireland's only competitive victory over Italy, with the 'Boys in Green' losing three and drawing two of their other five meetings against the Azzurri.
- However, the Italians have won just one of their last five meetings against Ireland (L2 D2).
- Ireland manager, Giovanni Trapattoni, was in charge of Italy in the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004.
- Italy are winless in six consecutive games in major tournaments for the first time in their history (five draws, one defeat).
- This is the second time the Azzurri have drawn their first two games in the group stage at a Euro Finals tournament: on the other occasion (2004) they were eliminated despite winning the third game.
- Republic of Ireland have lost each of their last three Euro games, conceding eight goals in the process.
- Italy have won just one of their last five Euro games in which they scored the first goal of the match.
- Four of Italy's last five goals at the Euros have come from set-pieces.
- Antonio Cassano is the only outfield player to have featured in all nine of Italy's EURO matches since the 2004 edition.
- The Azzurri remain unbeaten in competitive games under Cesare Prandelli when Antonio Cassano has played: 12 games, eight wins and four draws.