Europa League Opta Facts (UK sides only) - Feb 14th
Zenit Saint Petersburg v Liverpool
- This will be the first meeting between Zenit and Liverpool in European competition.
- Liverpool have won four and lost one of their last six matches with Russian opponents in Europe; with that defeat coming in this season's group stages (0-1 v Anzhi).
- The Merseyside club have won two and lost two of their four trips to Russia and are yet to keep a clean sheet.
- Zenit have lost both of their previous European clashes with English sides 1-0; with both coming in the group stages of this Europa League. In 2005, they lost to Bolton and in 2007, they were bettered by Everton.
- Liverpool have lost five and won just two of their last 11 away matches in the Europa League. However, both wins have came in their last three trips.
- Liverpool opened the scoring in five of their group games. No side scored the first goal more often.
- Jonjo Shelvey has scored four goals and assisted one in his last six appearances in the Europa League.
- Liverpool's passing accuracy of 89% was the best in the group stages. Only two teams (Basel; 3702 and Twente; 3726) made more passes than Liverpool (3603).
- Zenit have won three and lost none of their last six competitive home games in all competitions.
- Stewart Downing started all six of Liverpool's group games. He was only the Red to do so.
Sparta Prague v Chelsea
- Chelsea and Sparta Prague met previously in the group stages of the Champions League in 2003/04. Chelsea won the match in the Czech Republic, with the London clash finishing in a draw.
- The two matches between Sparta and Chelsea produced just one goal in total.
- Chelsea have played just two matches in the Czech Republic (W1 D1) and are yet to concede a goal.
- Sparta Prague have won none of their last 10 clashes with English teams in Europe; losing seven.
- Prague have scored just once in their last eight matches against English opposition, and in none of their last five at home.
- Despite finishing third in their group, Chelsea were the top scorers in the Champions League group stages this season; bagging themselves 16 goals.
- In Juan Mata's last five games in Europe for Chelsea, he has been involved in six goals (scoring three, assisting three).
- From Chelsea's last seven games on the road (all competitions), Frank Lampard has scored six goals.
- Chelsea heve won none of their last four away games in all competitions (D3 L1).
- Sparta Prague haven't played a competitive fixture since December 6th due to the Czech Liga winter break.
Newcastle United v Metalist Kharkiv
- This will be the first meeting between Newcastle United and Metalist Kharkiv.
- Newcastle's four previous matches against Ukrainian opposition have all been against Dynamo Kyiv (W2 D1 L1).
- Newcastle have won 18 and lost none of their last 23 home games in the Europa League.
- Metalist's only clash with English opposition came in the 2007/08 Europa League. They were eliminated in the first round by Everton (4-3 on aggregate).
- Kharkiv have won five and lost two of their last nine away matches in Europe.
- Oleksandr Goryainov made 31 saves in the group stages; more than any other goalkeeper that reached the knock-out stages.
- Gael Bigirimana was the only Newcastle player to feature in all six group games for the club.
- No side scored more goals in the final 15 minutes of Europa League group stage matches than Metalist Kharkiv (5).
- Only Partizan Belgrade (56) and Molde (61) committed fewer fouls in the group stages than Newcastle (63).
- Kharkiv picked up just five yellow cards in their six group games; meaning they had the best disciplinary record of any side.
Tottenham v Olympique Lyonnais
- Tottenham and Lyon previously met in the second round of the 1967/68 Cup Winners Cup. The tie ended 4-4 on aggregate with Lyon progressing on away goals.
- Spurs are unbeaten in their last three matches against French opposition (W2 D1) although, they last played a side from France in 1971.
- Olympique Lyonnais have won just one of their last nine fixtures against English sides (in all competitions), losing three.
- The French giants have lost five of their eight previous trips to England (W2 D1).
- Jermain Defoe has scored four goals in his last two starts in the Europa League.
- Only Bayer Leverkusen (94) and Stuttgart (84) attempted more shots in the group stages of the Europa League than Lyon (83).
- Lyon allowed their opponents to score four times in the 15 minutes after half-time; more often than any other side that qualified for the knock-out stages.
- Kyle Walker (10) was one of only two defenders to create 10+ chances during the Europa League group stages (along with Stuttgart's Gotoku Sakai).
- Only Bordeaux (six) scored more goals in the opening 30 minutes of Europa League group stage matches than Lyon (five).
- Emmanuel Adebayor has scored five goals in his last five starts in the Europa League.