Europa League Opta Facts - October 3rd
UK Teams Europa Opta Facts
- Anzhi have only beaten British opposition once in European competition (excluding qualifiers, D1 L3), when they beat Liverpool 1-0 at home in the Europa League last season.
- Tottenham Hotspur have drawn five of their last six away games (normal time) in the Europa League proper (L1).
- Tottenham's Jermain Defoe has scored four goals in his last two appearances in the Europa League (including qualifiers).
- Defoe's last eight European goals have all come at White Hart Lane. He has not scored on the road in Europe since December 2011, when he netted against Shamrock Rovers in Ireland.
- The Russian side have managed to register just one goal in their five previous matches in the Europa League (proper) against British opposition.
- This will be the first time these sides have lined up against each other.
- Anzhi are unbeaten at home in the Europa League proper (W4 D1); conceding just one goal in the process.
- Spurs have lost only one of their last 14 European matches (excluding qualifiers, W6 D7).
- On the first matchday, Tottenham had the most possession of any side in the Europa League (71.4%).
- Swansea City completed more passes (715) than any other side in the competition during the first round of games; they also had the best pass accuracy rate (92.9%).
- Swiss side FC St Gallen have lost only once in six Europa League games (W3 D2).
- Swansea's Wilfried Bony has scored four goals in his last four Europa League matches (including qualifiers).
- These teams have never faced off prior to this Europa League meeting.
- St Gallen have scored at least once in their last eight European matches (excluding qualifiers).
- The Swans have managed just one win in nine European games (excluding qualifiers), though that did come on the opening matchday of this competition at Valencia.
- No player attempted more shots (including blocked) than Wilfried Bony on the first matchday of the Europa League proper (nine).
- Swansea ended a run of eight games without a clean sheet in European competition (excluding qualifiers) when they beat Valencia 3-0.
- Wigan Athletic are yet to score their first goal in European competition.
NK Maribor have never beaten an English opponent in European competition (excluding qualifiers, D1 L3).
Maribor's Jasmin Handanovic had to pick the ball out of the net more times than any other goalkeeper during the first matchday; having conceded five goals to Rubin Kazan.
A Slovenian team is yet to beat an English side in European competition (excluding qualifiers, D2 L4).
NK Maribor have lost their last four games in the Europa League proper; conceding 13 goals in the process.
Only Tromso (28.6%) and Valencia (30.6%) had lower share of possession than Wigan Athletic (31.9%) during their first Europa League matches of this campaign.
Wigan Athletic managed to register just one shot on target in their game against Zulte-Waregem; only Tromso had fewer during matchday one (0).