Italian Serie A Opta Facts - 27th - 28th August
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Atalanta v Cesena
- Atalanta won promotion to Serie A last season, winning Serie B with 79 points.
- The last time that Atalanta lost their opening game of the season at home in Serie A was back in 1985 against Roma.
- In their previous 11 seasons in the top-flight, Cesena have never won their opening game (five draws, six defeats).
- In these 11 fixtures, Cesena have scored just three goals.
- Atalanta are unbeaten in their last four opening games of the season following promotion from Serie B to Serie A (one win and three draws).
- Cesena are without a win in their six meetings against Atalanta in the top-flight: two draws, four losses and just one goal scored.
- Atalanta have won each of their three home games against Cesena in Serie A.
- Cesena's new signing Adrian Mutu has scored 95 goals in Serie A, three of which have come against Atalanta.
Bologna v Roma
- Bologna have lost their opening game of the season in just one of their last seven Serie A seasons (v Cagliari in 2004).
- These two sides have met seven times on the opening match-day of Serie A: Roma lead by four wins to three, with no games ending in a draw.
- Roma have found the net in each of these seven games.
- In the last 17 seasons, Roma have lost only twice on MD1; against Genoa (2009) and Bologna (2002).
- The Giallorossi have kept a clean sheet in five of their last seven games on the opening matchday in Serie A.
- Roma are unbeaten in their last seven league meetings against Bologna (four wins and three draws).
- The Giallorossi have won their last two league games against Bologna at the Dall'Ara stadium without conceding a single goal.
- Marco Di Vaio has netted seven goals against Roma in Serie A, only against Udinese (nine) and Fiorentina (eight) has he scored more often.
- Francesco Totti, who has netted 207 goals in Serie A in his career, is just three strikes away from the record of most goals scored for a single team in Serie A (Milan's Nordhal holds it with 210).
Cagliari v Milan
- Cagliari were the only side not to receive a red card in Serie A last season.
- These two sides have never met on the opening match-day of the season in Serie A before this game.
- The Sardinians played out a goalless draw in their opening game if each of their last two Serie A campaigns, both away from home.
- On the last two occasions that they've played the opening game of the season at home, Cagliari have lost against Catania and versus Lazio.
- Milan have lost the opening game of the season just once in the last 24 Serie A seasons (v Bologna at home in 2008).
- The last time that AC Milan lost on MD1 of Serie A away from home was back in 1983, 0-4 versus Avellino.
- Cagliari are without a win against Milan in the league since October 1998 (1-0 at home); since then, they have lost 13 times and drawn four times.
- AC Milan have lost just one Serie A game in 2011, 1-0 at Palermo.
- Cagliari picked up just one point in the last five match-days of the last Serie A campaign, and they are winless at home in the league since last February (1-0 v Lazio).
- AC Milan picked up 39 points away from home in Serie A last season, nine more than any other side.
- Cagliari trequartista Andrea Cossu has delivered a total of 39 assists in Serie A for Cagliari, 13 during last season alone.
Inter v Lecce
- Lecce have failed to win their opening game of the season in each of their 14 Serie A campaigns.
- In their last five top-flight seasons, Lecce have conceded 15 goals in total on match-day 1, picking up just one point in the process.
- Lecce have kept a clean sheet on MD1 just once in Serie A; in a goalless draw at home versus Napoli in 1990.
- Internazionale have shared the points in each of their last four opening matches of Serie A (twice at home, twice away).
- The last time that Inter lost their opening game of a Serie A campaign at home was back in 1987 against Pescara.
- The Nerazzurri are unbeaten in their last eight Serie A meetings with Lecce (six wins and two draws).
- Inter have won 13 of their 14 previous matches against Lecce in Serie A at the San Siro (losing once in November 2000), scoring 39 goals and conceding just five.
- Last season, Inter recorded the best performance at home in Serie A; winning 48 points - a total that was five more than AC Milan.
- Diego Milito has scored three goals in his two games against Lecce in the top-flight.
Lazio v Chievo
- On the last two occasions that Chievo have played their opening game in Serie A away from home, they met Juventus and they lost 0-1.
- These two games against the Bianconeri are the only two where Chievo failed to score on the opening game of the season.
- These two sides have met just once on MD1 of Serie A, when Chievo won 3-2 at the Olimpico in 2002.
- That defeat was the only one for the Biancocelesti at home in the opening game of the season since 1991.
- In the last two seasons, the two teams who played Lazio on week one ended up being relegated.
- Chievo have lost just once at the Olimpico against the Biancazzurri, in October 2003.
- In the last four meetings between Lazio and Chievo in Serie A, the Biancocelesti have alternated between an away win and a home draw.
- Lazio have failed to win at home against Chievo in each of their last six league meetings at the Olimpico (four draws and two defeats).
- Sergio Pellissier has netted six goals against Lazio in Serie A, only against Siena he has managed to score as many.
Napoli v Genoa
- The last time that Napoli won the opening game of the season in Serie A was back in 1994; 1-0 at home against Reggiana.
- Napoli failed to score more than one goal on the opening matchday of Serie A since 1985 (a 2-1 win at home v Como).
- This fixture has been played on match-day 1 of Serie A three times, all in the '50s: two draws at Genoa and one win for the hosts at Napoli.
- Genoa have won the opening game of a Serie A season just three times when playing away from home, though one of these was last year (1-0 at Udine).
- The last three Serie A meetings between Napoli and Genoa have produced just two goals.
- Genoa have failed to score in each of these three meetings: one goalless draw followed by two 1-0 wins for Napoli.
- Before those three matches however, the Rossoblu had won their previous five Serie A fixtures against the Partenopei.
- The last time that Napoli managed to score more than two goals against the Grifoni at the San Poalo was back in 1957 (a 4-0 win).
- Napoli scored 21 goals in the last 15 minutes of play last season, more than any other side in the 2010/11 Serie A.
Novara v Palermo
- Novara have never drawn in the opening game of their previous 12 Serie A seasons, winning four times and losing eight times.
- They played eight of these 12 fixture at home, winning three and losing the other five.
- Novara and Palermo have met 12 times in Serie A: the Sicilians lead by six wins to four, two draws complete the record.
- Each of Novara's four wins against Palermo in Serie A have come at home.
- The Rosanero have won just once on Novara's soil; 4-3 in April 1953.
- Palermo have played the opening game of Serie A away from home 14 times, winning just once, 3-0 at Fiorentina in 1948.
- Palermo have failed to score in 12 of their 24 previous opening games of a Serie A season.
- Last season, Palermo were unbeaten in the three league games played without Javier Pastore (two wins and one draw).
- Last term, in Serie B, Novara lost just once at home, 2-3 v Modena on their final game of the season.
Parma v Catania
- This fixture has been played just once on matchday 1 in Serie A (a 2-2 draw at the Tardini in 2007).
- That was also the only occasion the Sicilians managed to score more than one goal on the opening game of a Serie A season.
- Catania have played away on nine occasions on the opening matchday of a Serie A season, winning just once (at Cagliari in 2006).
- The last time that Parma lost on Serie A MD1 was back in 1992, away from home versus Atalanta.
- At home, the Gialloblu are unbeaten on the opening game of Serie A since 1990 (their first top-flight season), when they lost against Juventus.
- Last season's win over Brescia on MD1 ended for Parma a streak of 11 consecutive draws on the opening game of Serie A.
- These two sides have met eight times in Serie A: Catania lead by three wins to two, with three draws completing the record.
- Parma are unbeaten at home against Catania in the top-flight (two wins and as many draws).
- Catania picked up just nine points away from home last season, no Serie A side picked up fewer points on the road.
- Sebastian Giovinco has scored three goals in Serie A against Catania (two in the last campaign); he hasn't managed to score more against any other Serie A side.
Siena v Fiorentina
- Siena have lost the opening game in each of their last three Serie A seasons, two of which were at home (v Sampdoria and AC Milan).
- The Bianconeri have failed to keep a clean sheet in each of their previous opening games in a Serie A season.
- Fiorentina have drawn 1-1 each of their last three fixtures on MD1.
- The last time that the Viola won the opening game of a top-flight season away from home was back in 1997, 3-2 at Udinese.
- This will be the 13th meeting between Fiorentina and Siena in Serie A: the Viola lead by six wins to three, with three draws completing the head to head record.
- Siena have never managed to score more than one goal in a single game against Fiorentina in the Italian top division.
- The last meeting between these two sides at Siena ended in a 5-1 victory for the Viola.
- Fiorentina drew the most games in the last Serie A campaign, 15.
Udinese v Juventus
- This will be the fourth consecutive time that Udinese have played their opening fixture of the season at home: in the previous three they had one win, one draw and one loss.
- Udinese and Juventus have met twice on Serie A MD1, losing both games at home (0-1 in 1960 and 0-2 in 1986).
- The Old Lady have only ever lost just six times in their opening game in a Serie A season, including last season at Bari.
- Before that defeat, Juventus were unbeaten on MD1 of Serie A since 1982 (19 wins and seven draws).
- Since 1979, Juventus have conceded more than one goal on MD1 just once in Serie A (during a 4-3 win v Perugia in 1998).
- In the two seasons prior to 2010/11, Udinese have scored five goals in the opening games (3-1 v Palermo and 2-2 v Parma) with Di Natale netting four of them.
- Antonio Di Natale has been the Serie A topscorer in the last two consecutive seasons; he has netted 112 goals in total for Udinese in the top-flight, 57 of which in the in last two campaigns.
- Udinese and Juventus have won four times apiece in their last eight Serie A meetings.