La Liga Opta Facts - 18-20 December
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Almeria v Getafe
- The record in La Liga between these two side is perfectly even, with two wins each and
- two draws.
- After losing the first top-flight league meeting at home against Getafe, Almeria have won their successive two games against the Azulones at the Estadio del Mediterraneo.
- Almeria's 3-1 win over Sevilla last time out ended a run of nine league games without a win.
- Almeria are yet to win at the Estadio de Mediterraneo in Liga BBVA this season, though have drawn five of their seven games there.
- Getafe are on a run of three straight league wins, a run that has seen them rise up the table from 12th to 7th.
- The Azulones have never won four matches on the spin in the Spanish top flight.
- Getafe are the only side apart from Barcelona to currently be unbeaten in more than two straight matches in Liga BBVA (four).
- Getafe have scored 10 goals from set pieces this season, the most in Liga BBVA.
Deportivo La Coruña v Sporting Gijon
- Deportivo have picked up only one point from their last four meetings with Sporting in la Liga.
- The Galician side have won only one of their last four at home to Sporting, back in January 1998 (2-1).
- However the win in October 2008 is Sporting Gijón's only victory in 16 top-flight matches at the Riazor.
- Diego Castro has scored three goals in his four top-flight appearances against Deportivo, more than against any other side.
- Depor are on a run of three straight wins at home in the league, last time they managed four was December 2008.
- No visiting player has scored at the Riazor in the league since Kaly Uche back in September: 431 minutes of football have elapsed since then.
- Sporting have scored the joint-fewest away goals in Liga BBVA this season (3).
- Depor have conceded only three goals from set piece situations in La Liga this season, the joint-fewest.
- However just three of their 12 league goals this season have come in open play.
Espanyol v Barcelona
- Only one goal was scored in the two derbies played last season between Espanyol and Barcelona, when the Blaugrana won 1-0 at the Camp Nou.
- Espanyol have had the better of Barca only once in their last seven meetings in La Liga - four draws and two wins for the Blaugrana complete the record.
- The last time Barcelona managed to score more than two goals against Espanyol was in 2003/04.
- 11 of the meetings between the sides in the Spanish top flight have ended goalless: Barcelona have only drawn as many games 0-0 against Sevilla.
- Barcelona are yet to drop a point on the road this season, while Espanyol are yet to drop a single point at home.
- The last time Espanyol won their opening eight top-flight league games at home was in 1976.
- Leo Messi has scored eight goals in Barcelona's last four league away games.
- These are the only teams alongside Osasuna to have conceded at least half of their goals to set pieces in Liga BBVA this season.
- Xavi has averaged 113 passes per 90 minutes in the league this season, at least 25 more than any other player.
- Lionel Messi has either scored or assisted each of Barcelona's last seven league goals on the road.
Levante v Athletic Bilbao
- Levante have picked up only one point from their last five meetings against Athletic in the top-flight.
- The side from Valencia have scored only one goal in their last four meetings with Athletic in La Liga.
- Athletic came out on top in their last visit to Levante's ground in September 2007 - prior to that, the hosts had managed two wins and two draws in four games at the Ciutat de València.
- Levante have won three of their last four league games on home soil.
- Felipe Caicedo has bagged four goals in this run.
- Athletic Bilbao may have won their last five league games at home, but they have lost their last five on the road.
- The Leones have conceded more goals on the road than any side this season in Liga BBVA (19).
- Only Lionel Messi has opened the scoring in as many Liga BBVA matches as Fernando Llorente this season (seven).
- Athletic Bilbao have scored the most headers in the league this season (nine, six of which by Fernando Llorente).
Malaga v Atletico Madrid
- Last season Malaga overcame Atletico in both fixtures, without conceding a goal (3-0 at home and 2-0 away).
- The club from Andalusia have won four of their last six league games at home against Atletico, losing one and sharing the points once.
- Málaga have won their last two league matches at home and have not failed to score on their own turf in Liga BBVA this season.
- In their last eight league games, either Sergio Aguero has scored for the Colchoneros or they have failed to find the net (three times).
- Sergio Aguero has netted 12 goals for Atlético in his last 12 appearances for them in all competitions.
- Atlético have won only one of their last six away games in Liga BBVA, and have lost four of the last five.
- Luis Perea is the only player to have played every minute of Liga BBVA this season but not had a shot.
- David de Gea has made more saves per 90 minutes than any player in the Spanish top-flight this season (4.8).
Osasuna v Real Zaragoza
- Osasuna are on a run of three consecutive wins against Real Zaragoza in the top-flight, a run that has seen them keep a clean sheet in each match.
- Osasuna are unbeaten in Pamplona in their last five meetings with Real Zaragoza (two wins and three draws).
- Real Zaragoza have managed only one win at Osasuna's ground in the last 17 games in the league.
- The Rojillos' run of three straight league wins at home came to an end in their last match at the Reyno de Navarra as they lost 3-0 to Barcelona.
- However they have kept four clean sheets in seven league games at home this season.
- Five of the last six teams to have accrued under 10 points after 15 matches in Primera have been relegated.
- Real Zaragoza have drawn their last three matches on the road 1-1.
- Nicolas Bertolo has been tackled every 10.5 minutes in Liga BBVA this season, more often than any other player.
Racing Santander v Hercules
- These two sides have not shared the points in their last 12 meetings in the top-flight (six wins each).
- Hercules won their last top-flight game in Santander, back in 1997 - prior to that, the hosts had notched up three wins in a row at El Sardinero in La Liga against the team from Alicante.
- Racing are unbeaten in their last four league matches at home, conceding only one goal in this run.
- Hercules have scored just one goal in their six league away games since the 2-0 win at Barcelona.
- All three of Hercules' league away goals this season have been scored by Nelson Valdez.
- Only Mesut Ozil of Real Madrid has created more goalscoring chances per 90 minutes than Pedro Munitis in Liga BBVA this season.
- 31% of Racing's goals in the league this season have come from outside the box, the highest proportion in the top flight.
- Despite playing 1075 minutes of league football this season, David Trezeguet has set up just two shots for his team-mates, while having 34 himself.
Real Madrid v Sevilla
- Over the last eight meetings, Real and Sevilla have alternated between a win and a defeat each. Should this run continue, the visitors would win this match.
- The last 15 league clashes between the sides have averaged 4.5 goals per game.
- Since 1985, Real Madrid and Sevilla have shared only one draw at the Bernabeu in the league (0-0 in December 1993), 19 wins for the hosts and three for the guests in the process.
- Real have hit three or more goals in each of their last five games against Sevilla at home.
- Renato has scored in his last three appearances against Real Madrid in Liga BBVA.
- Sevilla are on a run of four straight league defeats and could, in this match, become the first side to lose five in a row in Liga BBVA this season.
- The Merengues have won 25 of their 26 league games at home since the start of last season.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has already scored 12 goals at the Bernabeú in the league this season.
- Sevilla have not lost five straight league matches since the 1999/00 season when they were relegated.
- The Nervionenses have made 52 changes to their starting XI from one match to another in the league this season, more than any other side.
- Real Madrid have won all four league matches in which they have named an unchanged starting XI from the previous game this season.
Real Sociedad v Valencia
- Real Sociedad have managed only one win in their last 21 meetings against Valencia in the top-flight (2-0 in November 2001).
- Valencia have taken all three points on their last two trips to San Sebastián in 2006 and 2007.
- Real Sociedad have won the five matches when they have kept a clean sheet at home this season, but lost the two when they have conceded.
- Los Che have won only one of their last four league fixtures, and are without a win in their last four matches on the road.
- 12 of Valencia's last 15 league goals have been netted in the first half.
- Valencia have hit six goals in the opening 15 minutes of games this season, the most in the Spanish top flight.
- Xabi Prieto has been involved in (goal or assist) 47% of his side's league goals this season, the most for any player aside from Messi or Ronaldo.
Villarreal v Mallorca
- Mallorca's 1-0 win last February ended a run of 12 unbeaten games for the Yellow Submarine in this fixture.
- However, Villarreal are still unbeaten in their last six meetings against Mallorca at the Madrigal (four wins and two draws).
- No side has conceded fewer goals at home this season than Villarreal (two).
- At least one of either Nilmar or Giuseppe Rossi has scored in each of Villarreal's home games in the league this season.
- Juan Carlos Garrido has named an unchanged starting XI five times this season, the joint-most in Liga BBVA.
- Villarreal are unbeaten in their first seven home games for the first time ever in the Spanish top flight.
- One more away win for Mallorca would equal their total away victories from last season in the top flight (three).
- Mallorca have already given away six penalties in Liga BBVA this season, more than any other side.