La Liga Opta Facts - 1st-2nd January
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Athletic de Bilbao v Deportivo la Coruña
- Athletic Bilbao won their last league meeting with Deportivo in May, ending a run of four consecutive defeats against the club.
- Bilbao have only failed to score once in their last 15 league matches at home to Depor.
- Bilbao have won their last five league games at home.
- Deportivo have failed to score in six of their eight games away from home in the league this season.
- Depor have conceded the joint-fewest goals from set pieces in the league this season (three).
- Athletic Bilbao have scored the most goals in the opening 15 minutes of LigaBBVA matches this season (six).
- This will be the 17th meeting between Miguel Angel Lotina and Joaquin Jesus Caparrós in Primera as managers. Lotina has won eight of these, with two draws.
- Lotina and Caparrós are currently the only two bosses in Liga BBVA to have managed their current clubs for more than 100 top-flight matches (130 each).
Atlético de Madrid v Racing
- Atlético are without a win in their last three league meetings with Racing, drawing the last two by 1-1.
- It is over 15 years and 26 matches since the Colchoneros failed to score against Racing in the league.
- The Montañeses have won on only one of their last 13 league trips to the Vicente Calderón.
- Sergio Aguero has scored six goals in his last six games in the league.
- A win in this match would mean Atlético have won three straight league games for the first time since January.
- Racing picked up their first away win of the season in their last match on the road (1-0 at Mallorca).
- The Montañeses have scored only four goals in total in their last seven league matches.
- Racing have failed to score with all three of their penalties this season.
- Atlético and Racing are two of only four teams not to have seen an opponent sent off in one of their LigaBBVA matches this season.
Barcelona v Levante
- Barcelona's only league defeat so far this season came at home against a newly-promoted side (Hercules).
- The Blaugrana have won all five of their games at home to Levante in the Spanish top flight, scoring 18 goals in the process.
- However Levante have only failed to score once in 10 top-flight meetings with Barcelona.
- Lionel Messi scored in both league meetings with the Granotes the 2007/08 season.
- On the last seven occasions that Barcelona have been top of the league at Christmas, they have gone on to win the competition.
- Victory in this match would make Barcelona only the sixth side to win 11 straight matches in the Spanish top flight, though the second in 2010 after Real Madrid.
- The Blaugrana have only dropped points at home this season in the league.
- Levante have picked up just two points from their last six league games on the road.
- Felipe Caicedo has scored five goals in Levante's last five league games.
- Caicedo has the best shot conversion rate in the league this season, scoring with seven of his 16 efforts on goal.
Getafe v Real Madrid
- Real have won their last three league meetings with Getafe, scoring an average of three goals per game.
- However the Merengues have only won on two of their six trips to the Coliseum Alfonso Pérez in the Spanish top flight.
- Gonzalo Higuaín has scored a brace in each of Real Madrid's last three league games against Getafe.
- The Azulones are on a run of four straight league wins, their best-ever run in the Spanish top flight.
- Real Madrid have won all five matches in which they have scored on the road this season.
- Real have only scored one goal from indirect free kicks and corners this season in Liga BBVA.
- The Merengues have fired in the most shots in Liga BBVA this season (293).
- Getafe are the only side in the competition this season to have scored three goals from throw-ins.
- Real are yet to concede a goal from outside the box in the league this term.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 27 goals in 28 appearances in all competitions (inc. Internationals) so far this season.
Mallorca v Hércules
- Despite having accrued 43 seasons of experience in the Spanish top flight between them, this will be the first-ever meeting between Mallorca and Hércules in Primera.
- Mallorca have lost their last three league games.
- The last time they lost four on the bounce was in January 2007.
- Mallorca have conceded just three goals in total in their last nine league games at the San Moix.
- Hércules have bagged just one goal in seven games on the road this season since scoring twice at the Nou Camp.
- Mallorca are yet to score from outside the box in the league this season.
- Hércules have scored only one goal in the final 15 minutes of league matches this season (joint-fewest).
- The Bermellones have given away the most penalties in Liga BBVA this season (seven).
Sevilla v Osasuna
- Sevilla are unbeaten in their last eight league meetings with Osasuna.
- The Rojillos have failed to find the net in their last three matches against Sevilla.
- José Antonio Camacho has won only one of his 10 league meetings as a manager against former club Sevilla.
- Sevilla are on a run of five straight league defeats. The last time they lost five in a row was in 1999/00 when they ended the season bottom.
- Only the three sides in the relegation zone have conceded more goals at home than the nervionenses this season.
- Osasuna have picked up fewer points away from home than any other side in Liga BBVA this season.
- Two-thirds of Osasuna's goals this season have come in the 15 minutes either before or after half-time (10 out of 15).
- Six of Sevilla's last 10 league goals at home have either been scored or assisted by Fredéric Kanouté.
Sporting Gijón v Málaga
- Sporting are on a run of three straight league games unbeaten against Málaga.
- Last season both meetings between these two sides ended as draws.
- However the Malaguistas had won their previous five encounters with Sporting Gijón.
- Sporting Gijón are without a win in the league since October (nine matches since).
- Only one of the last eight league games involving the Rojiblancos has produced more than two goals.
- Málaga have lost their last five games away from home in the league, netting only one goal in the process.
- Sporting Gijón have made the joint-most fouls in the Spanish top flight this season (289).
- Just 32% of the Rojiblanco's passes in the league this season have been in their own half, the lowest proportion in the top flight.
- Málaga have had the most shots from direct free kicks in La Liga this season, though are yet to score from one of these.
Valencia v Espanyol
- Espanyol failed to score in both of their league meetings with Valencia last season, losing 1-0 at the Mestalla and 2-0 at home.
- Espanyol have won only one of their last 15 away matches against sides from Valencia in the league.
- They have lost six of their last seven league matches at the Mestalla, coming out on top just once in the process (2-1 in October 2007).
- Valencia have lost just one of their last six league games.
- Los Che have been defeated just once in their last 20 games at the Mestalla in the Spanish top flight.
- Roberto Soldado has scored four goals in Valencia's last five home games in the league.
- Espanyol have lost their last two games in the league, despite Pablo Osvaldo scoring in each.
- Valencia have scored six goals from corners in Liga BBVA this season, two more than any other side so far.
- Espanyol are the only Liga BBVA side yet to score a headed goal this season.
Villarreal v Almería
- Villarreal have won only one of their six meetings with Almería in the Spanish top flight.
- Pablo Piatti has scored three goals in his four league appearances against Villarreal in Primera.
- The Yellow Submarine has taken 22 points from a possible 24 at home in the league this season.
- Both of Almería's league wins this season have come away from home.
- Almería have not kept a clean sheet in the league in 11 matches since September.
- Villarreal have picked up nine points from matches in which they have been behind this season, more than any other Liga BBVA side.
- Almost half (47%) of Almería's league goals this season have come in the final 15 minutes of games - seven out of 15.
- Only Barcelona (89.1%) have had a higher passing accuracy than Villarreal this season (83.7%).
Real Zaragoza v Real Sociedad
- Real Zaragoza have scored exactly three times in each of their last three top-flight meetings with Real Sociedad, winning each match.
- Real Sociedad have picked up just one win in their last 10 clashes with Zaragoza at the Romareda in the Spanish top flight.
- Just one of the last 13 teams to have picked up just one win before the winter break in the Spanish top flight has ended the campaign outside of the bottom three (Extremadura 1996/97).
- The Maños have lost their last three league games at home, against Sevilla, Villarreal and Real Madrid.
- Only Athletic de Bilbao (20) have conceded more goals on the road this season than Real Sociedad (18).
- Real Sociedad have dropped 14 points in matches in which they have been ahead this season, the most in the Spanish top flight.
- Carlos Martínez has delivered more crosses than any player in Liga BBVA this season (107).