La Liga Opta Facts - 20-21 August
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Rayo Vallecano - RCD Mallorca
- Rayo and Mallorca have met 10 times in the top flight with the side from the capital winning just once (2-1 in 1999/00).
- The Baleares have only failed to score once against Rayo in Primera, in their first meeting in 1989/90.
- Last season Mallorca scored the fewest goals in the opening 15 minutes of both halves (four in each).
- Rayo head into the new season after 13 matches without a win in their last campaign in the top flight.
- The Madrid side started their last two La Liga campaigns at home without winning either (one draw and a defeat).
- Mallorca have played their opening La Liga game away from home on 13 occasions but have won just two.
- Last season the islanders lost 12 of their 19 league games on the road (four draws and three wins).
- Rayo have never won at home on the opening day in the top flight (three defeats, one draw).
- Rayo have finished in the bottom four in seven of their 12 campaigns in Primera.
- Webó, who headed to Eskiesehirspol over the summer, was the only Mallorca player to score more than five goals in La Liga in 2010/11 (11).
Real Madrid CF - Athletic Club
- Athletic have lost on 11 of their last 12 visits to the Bernabéu in the league, notching up a 2-0 win in 2004/05.
- Last season, Athletic scored the most headed goals in LigaBBVA (17), while Real Madrid conceded the fewest in this way (three).
- Mourinho's side were the only one last season to win every match in which they opened the scoring in Primera (29).
- Athletic have opened the season with a game against Madrid on four previous occasions, winning one, losing one and drawing the other two. Their only win came in their only home match.
- Real Madrid and Athletic have not met on the opening day of La Liga since 1963.
- In the last seven seasons, the Basque side have only lost their opening game once.
- Real Madrid have lost just one of their last 28 games at home on the first matchday of the season: 0-3 vs Barça in 1984.
- The Basque side only kept two clean sheets on the road in La Liga in 2010/11, on the opening matchday and the 21st.
- Real Madrid have won just 49% of their meetings with Athletic in the top flight, their second-lowest proportion after Barcelona (42%).
- Fernando Llorente has only scored more goals against Valencia (seven) than Real Madrid (four) in LigaBBVA.
- Five Bilbao players have been sent off in their last six league meetings with the Merengues.
Real Betis - Sevilla FC
- Alvaro Negredo hit the woodwork more often than any other side in Primera last season (eight times).
- Sevilla's new signing Spahic did not give away a single penalty in two seasons in Ligue 1.
- Betis have won just three of their 19 derbies in the Spanish top flight, losing seven and drawing nine.
- In fact, Betis have only managed to score in one of their last five meetings with Sevilla in the top flight.
- The last 11 goals scored by Sevilla against their local rivals in Primera have come from foreigners.
- Pepe Mel has met Sevilla twice as a manager in the top flight, drawing one and losing the other.
- In their last top-flight campaign Betis conceded the joint-most penalties at home (five).
- Velasco Carballo, who has never taken charge of a Seville derby, blew for the fewest fouls in LigaBBVA 2010/11.
- There have been three red cards in total in the last three Seville derbies.
- Since 06/07, Velasco Carballo has taken charge of six top-flight games involving Betis, awarding eight penalties and dishing out eight red cards.
- Betis have won both of the Seville derbies to be played on the opening day of the season (1963 and 1987).
- Sevilla have won six of their last eight games on the opening day of the season.
Espanyol - Granada
- Granada have only beaten Espanyol once in 16 meetings away from home in the Spanish top flight, racking up three draws besides.
- This will be the rojiblancos' first trip to the Cornella in the top flight.
- Granada were relegated from the top flight 35 years ago after a run of five straight defeats.
- Sevilla (on the last day of last season) are the only Andalucian side (of seven) to have played at Espanyol's new stadium and won there in the league.
- Pochettino's men won just one of their last 10 games in LigaBBVA last season.
- Espanyol conceded the most goals from corners in Primera last season (11).
- In the periquitos last 10 league matches, either Osvaldo has scored or his team have failed to find the net.
- However Espanyol averaged the same number of goals per game (1.21) regardless of whether or not Osvaldo played in the league last season.
- Carlos Martins has won both of his La Liga matches against Espanyol by a score of 2-1.
Osasuna - Valencia
- Osasuna have drawn their last four matches on the opening day of the season.
- Valencia have won their opening game in each of the last three campaigns.
- It is 60 years since Valencia finished in the top three in the Spanish league for three straight campaigns.
- Osasuna were one of just five teams unbeaten against Valencia in Primera last season.
- Valencia have won only one of their last seven visits to the Reyna de Navarra in La Liga.
- Valencia are the only side against whom Miguel Flaño has scored more than once in LigaBBVA (two).
- If only home games had counted last season, Osasuna would have finished fifth.
- The Rojillos have won their last three league games at home, including a 1-0 win over Valencia.
- Los Che managed to win six matches after going behind in La Liga last season, two more than any other side.
- Unai Emery's men scored 12 goals from corners in 2010/11, no other side scored more than seven in this way.
Real Sociedad - Atlético de Madrid
- Atlético have won just one of their last eight matches away from home on the opening day of the season.
- Real Sociedad have only lost one of their last 15 matches at home on matchday one, including a 1-0 win against Villarreal in 2010.
- Atlético won 4-2 in Anoeta last season, ending a run of 13 games without a win there in the top flight.
- There has been at least one goal in the last 15 minutes of each of the last six league clashes between these sides (10 in total).
- Since 06/07, Atlético have won 49% of their league games with Agüero starting, compared to just 32% without him.
- No side lost more matches that they were leading in LigaBBVA 2010/11 than Real Sociedad (11).
- Real Sociedad were unbeaten in their last four league games at home in 2010/11.
- Atlético lost just one of their last eight away games in the league last season.
Villarreal - Sporting
- Villarreal have never lost to Sporting in El Madrigal in the top flight (two wins and a draw).
- The yellow submarine's only defeat against Sporting in the league was also the only time they failed to score (0-1 at El Molinón in 09-10).
- Sporting have won on just one of their last 16 visits to the Comunitat Valenciana in the top flight (vs Valencia in 2008).
- Sporting have only failed to score against Villarreal twice in La Liga, losing both games 0-1.
- Four of Villarreal's six goals against Sporting in Primera have been scored by Giuseppe Rossi.
- Villarreal have never won their first game of the season in Primera at home (one draw and one defeat).
- Since returning to the top flight in 08-09, Sporting have lost all their games on the opening day, conceding nine goals and scoring only one.
- Sporting have lost their top goalscorer from last season, Diego Castro (nine goals).
- Diego Castro also scored both of Sporting's league goals against Villarreal last season.
- Sporting scored the fewest goals from set pieces in 2010/11 (six, excluding penalties).
Malaga - Barcelona
- Malaga have lost 10 of their last 11 meetings with Barcelona in La Liga.
- Malaga's last league win against Barcelona (5-1 in 03-04) also constitutes the Blaugrana's biggest reversal in the league since 1995 (0-5 vs Racing).
- Barcelona have won their last three matches at La Rosaleda, bagging nine goals in the process.
- Barca have conceded just four goals in their last 11 league meetings with Malaga.
- The boquerones won 45% of their league games last season with Julio Baptista playing, vs just 30% without him.
- Pep Guardiola's men were the only side not to concede a single goal in the opening 15 minutes of league matches in 2010/11.
- Malaga lost the most points in matches when they were leading in the league last season (24).
- Enzo Maresca's goal vs Atlético Madrid last season was the fastest strike by a substitute in LigaBBVA 2010/11 (22 seconds after coming on).
- Only Messi (0.94) and Ronaldo (1.18) scored more goals per game in LigaBBVA 2010/11 than Julio Baptista (0.82).
- Barcelona have only ever lost once at home on the opening day of the season (0-1 vs Espanyol in 1939).
- Malaga have only ever won once on the road on the opening day of the season in the top flight (3-2 vs Recreativo Huelva in 2002).
Levante UD - Real Zaragoza
- Levante have won just one of their 12 meetings with Real Zaragoza in the top flight (2-1 in March 2008).
- These two sides have only met on the last matchday of last season, with the manos winning 2-1 at the Ciutat de Valencia.
- All three of Zaragoza's goals against Levante in 2010/11 came from Gabi.
- Each side received exactly four yellow cards in the two meetings between the sides last season.
- Levante have never won on the opening day in the Spanish top flight.
- Zaragoza have not won on the road on matchday one in LigaBBVA since 1980 (six defeats and three draws since then).
- If only games in the second half of the season in LigaBBVA 2010/11 had counted, Levante would have been sixth.
- Just three sides (Real Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia) conceded fewer goals on the road last season in LigaBBVA than Real Zaragoza (26).
- Since 07/08, Real Zaragoza have won just two of their 16 league games without Gabi.
Real Racing Club - Getafe CF
- The last three league meetings between Racing and Getafe have seen just two goals in total.
- Getafe are unbeaten in three league visits to Racing, winning the last two.
- The racinguistas are without a win on the opening day of the season since 2003.
- They have scored just two goals in seven games on matchday one since then.
- Getafe have never played at home on matchday one in the Spanish top flight.
- However they have still managed four wins from seven games on opening day, including a victory at Racing in 2009.
- There have been six red cards in the last seven league meetings between the sides.
- Racing's last six goals at home in the league have been scored by Swedish players.
- Racing conceded the most goals in the opening 15 minutes of LigaBBVA matches in 2010/11, but the fewest in the last 15 minutes (five).
- The azulones are on a run of 11 league matches without a win on the road.