La Liga Opta Facts - 7-8 January
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Espanyol - Barcelona
- Espanyol have won just four of their last 43 league meetings with Barcelona (W4 D11 L28).
- The pericos have only twice beaten Barcelona at home in their last 14 meetings in the league (P14 W2 D5 L7).
- Espanyol have drawn more league matches against Barcelona than any other side in Primera (34: Zaragoza, 33).
- Barcelona have won more games against Espanyol than any other side in Primera (86, 76 vs Athletic).
- Barcelona's 5-1 win at the Cornellà last season was Espanyol's joint-biggest defeat at home in the top flight.
- After going five league games without a win, the periquitos have won their last two.
- The azulgrana have conceded the fewest goals of any side in Europe's top five leagues so far (eight, Udinese, nine).
- Pochettino's men have won all seven of the matches in which they have opened the scoring in the league this season.
- Barcelona have conceded just two goals in the last 30 minutes of Liga BBVA matches, every other side has conceded at least four.
- Cornellà-El Prat is one of only two stadiums where Messi has played more than once in LigaBBVA but never scored (along with Anoeta).
Getafe - Athletic
- Athletic are yet to win at Getafe in the Coliseum in Primera (D4 L3).
- All four of Getafe's home wins in the league this season have been by a single goal.
- Bielsa's men are unbeaten in their last five league games on the road (W2 D3), scoring in each.
- Athletic's two away wins in the league this season have been by the same scoreline (2-1), as have their three draws (1-1).
- The Basque side have lost the most points owing to goals conceded in the final five minutes of league games this season (6).
- Athletic have kept the fewest clean sheets in the league this season (1, vs Atlético).
- Getafe are, along with Granada, the only side in LigaBBVA yet to score in the opening 15 minutes of matches.
- Luis García's men have conceded the most goals in the league 15 minutes of league matches this season (nine).
- Athletic have dropped the second-most points from winning positions in Primera this season (12).
- Athletic's last eight league goals have each been scored by a different player.
Levante - Mallorca
- Levante have won just one of their four games at home to Mallorca in the top-flight (W1 D2 L1).
- In fact, the side from Valencia are without a win in their last six league meetings with Mallorca (D2 L4).
- Mallorca have scored in all but one of their meetings with Levante in Primera (the first in 2004).
- The Valencians are, along with Real Madrid, the only side who are yet to draw at home in LigaBBVA this season.
- Juan Ignacio Martínez's men have won six of their seven league games at home this season (only defeat: 0-2 vs Valencia).
- In their last away game, Mallorca ended a run of 12 league games without a win on the road, and kept their first clean sheet in 29.
- Mallorca have dropped the most points after going ahead in LigaBBVA this season (14).
- Levante have won all nine league matches in which they have taken the lead this season.
- Arouna Koné has already scored twice as many league goals with Levante this season (six) as had in his four previous campaigns combined (three with Sevilla and Hannover).
Málaga - Atlético Madrid
- The blanquiazules have won just one of their last four league matches at home to Atlético (3-0 in 2009/10).
- Málaga have won more games at home to Atlético than any other side from Madrid in Primera (four, three vs Getage, two vs Rayo and none vs Real Madrid).
- Málaga are without a win in their last three league games, conceding six and scoring three.
- Four of Málaga's five home wins in the league this season have been by a one-goal margin.
- Atlético have the poorest away record of any team in Europe's top five leagues this season (one point: Valenciennes, Novara, Zaragoza and Nice all have two).
- This is Málaga's second-highest points tally at the start of a new year in Primera (24pts), after 2003/04 (26pts but with one more game played).
- Málaga have used the same starting XI from the previous game on the most occasions in the league this season (three, as with Sporting).
- Málaga have won two of their three league games without Joaquín in the league this season (W2 D1).
- Tiago scored his first and only brace in La Liga at the Rosaleda (3-0 in 10/11).
- Málaga have picked up the most points in La Liga (8) thanks to goals scored in the final 30 minutes of matches.
Racing - Real Zaragoza
- Racing have won just one of their last five games at home to Real Zaragoza in the league (D3 L1).
- The maños are on a run of nine league games without a win (D1 L8), currently the longest such run in the Spanish top-flight.
- The cántrabos are yet to score more than once on their own turf in the league this season.
- Zaragoza have lost all 10 league games in which they have conceded the first goal this season.
- Six of the last seven league meetings between Racing and Real Zaragoza have ended in draws.
- Real Zaragoza have conceded the most goals in the league this season (31).
- In 2010/11, just one of the four teams in LigaBBVA with under 15 points after 16 games ended the season relegated (Almería).
- Real Zaragoza have conceded the most headed goals in the league this season (eight).
- The racinguistas have conceded the fewest goals to opposition midfielders in the league this season (one, Xavi).
- Racing and Zaragoza are the only two sides yet to score from outside the box in the league this season.
Rayo Vallecano - Sevilla
- Reyes scored in Sevilla's last league defeat at Vallecas (2-1 in February 2002).
- Sevilla have won just two of their 11 visits to Rayo Vallecano in Primera (W2 D2 L7).
- Away from home, Sevilla have conceded the fewest goals in the league this season (three), but have also scored the fewest (three) and drawn the most (five).
- Rayo Vallecano are on a run of five games without a win in the league, losing the last four.
- Sevilla's last six league away games have produced just two goals in total.
- Sevilla have failed to win any of the last three league games in which Jesus Navas has scored (D1 L2).
- The side from Madrid's last three league goals have come in the 85th minute or later, each time coming as a consolation.
- Trochowski is the most substituted player in LigaBBVA this season (11 times).
- Rayo have not conceded a goal at home to a substitute in the league this season, while Sevilla have not scored away from home through a substitute.
- Gónzalez Gónzalez has taken charge of three league games for Sevilla, with the nervionenses losing each of these.
Real Betis - Sporting de Gijón
- It is 15 years since Sporting last won at Heliópolis in the league.
- Real Betis have won their last four league games against Sporting, scoring at least twice in each.
- In their last home match, Betis ended a run of 10 straight league games without a win.
- Six of the last seven league goals from Betis have come in the last 10 minutes of games.
- Preciado's Sporting have named an unnamed starting XI from the previous match on the most occasions in the league this season (three, with Málaga).
- Real Betis are the only LigaBBVA side yet to concede a goal in the first 15 minutes of league matches this season.
- Betis have conceded the most goals at home to substitutes in the league this season (3).
- Sporting have taken the most points from losing positions in Primera (eight).
- Sporting are one of three teams whose defenders are yet to score in La Liga this season (with Málaga and Villarreal).
- Real Betis and Sporting have hit the woodwork on the joint-most occasions in the league this season (12). Only Liverpool (18) and Newcastle (13) have done this more often in Europe's top five leagues.
Real Madrid - Granada
- The Whites have won 14 of their 17 league games at home to Granada (W14 D2 L1).
- Madrid have won their first home game of the new year in each of the last 20 seasons (since 0-3 defeat vs Atlético in 1991).
- If Real Madrid maintain their goals/game rate in the league this season (3.5), they would beat the current record of goals in a season (107 in 89/90) by 26.
- Barcelona ended Real Madrid's run of eight straight league wins at home.
- Granada have lost only three of their last six league meetings with Real Madrid (W1 D2 L1).
- Real Madrid are the top scorers in the second half of LigaBBVA matches this season (32).
- Granada are the lowest-scoring side in LigaBBVA this season (10), but only two sides have conceded fewer (16).
- Fabri's men are unbeaten after taking the lead in La Liga this season (W5 D1).
- Cristiano Ronaldo has been involved in the most goals in Europe's top five leagues this season (20g 6a), followed by Messi (17g 8a) and van Persie (17g 5a).
- Since Angel Di María arrived, Real Madrid have won all five games without him playing, averaging 5.4 goals/game.
- Granada's 10 league goals this season have been scored by nine different players.
Real Sociedad - Osasuna
- Real Sociedad have won seven of their last nine league games at home to Osasuna.
- Osasuna have more points after 16 league games than in any of the last five seasons (25).
- Both sides go into this game on their best runs of the season: each team is unbeaten in their last five league games.
- Osasuna have won only one of the 18 matches when they have played away from home in their first match of the new year (2-0 at Alavés in 2001/02).
- Only Atlético (8) have scored more headed goals than Osasuna in the league this season (7).
- Aguirettxe has scored the most headed goals in the league this season (4).
- José Luis Mendilíbar's side has scored 67% of their goals in the first half, the highest proportion in Primera this season.
- Real Sociedad have won both league matches in which they have opened the scoring at home this season.
- The guipuzcoanos have taken five points thanks to goals scored in the final five minutes of league matches this season, only behind Real Betis (7).
Villarreal - Valencia
- There has never been a goalless draw between these sides in Primera (24 games total).
- Valencia have won only one of their last eight league matches at Villarreal (W1 D1 L6).
- Valencia have conceded just one goal between the 31st and 60th minutes in the league this season.
- Only Málaga have conceded a higher proportion of their goals in the first half this season in LigaBBVA than Villarreal (61%).
- Los Che have benefitted from the most own goals in the league this season (three).
- Villarreal have 18 points fewer at this stage than they had after 16 matches in Primera last season.
- Valencia have picked up the most points thanks to goals scored in the last 15 minutes of LigaBBVA matches this season (eight).
- Emery's men are also, along with Getafe, the side who have dropped the most points in the last 15 minutes of league games this season (seven).
- Los Che have only once scored more than one goal at El Madrigal in LigaBBVA (02/03).
- Fernández Borbalán has blown for the most fouls in Primera this season (278).