League 1 Opta Facts – Aug 8-10
Sheffield United v Bristol City
- Sheffield United are set for their fourth consecutive season in the third tier. The last time they spent so long at this level was in the early 1980s when they had five seasons in the third tier and below.
- The last time Bristol City started their league season with a win was in 2008/09 (beating Blackpool 1-0). They have drawn two and lost three since then.
- The Blades have lost just one of their last 11 games on the opening weekend (W4 D6). They have won each of the last three (all in League One).
- United won all six points against Bristol City last season, scoring four goals and conceding none.
Barnsley v Crawley
- Barnsley have failed to score in three of their last four season openers.
- Since joining the Football League in 2011/12, Crawley are unbeaten in their first match of the season (W2 D1).
- The Tykes have won just one of their last four home games on the opening weekend of the season (L3).
- This match will be the first meeting between the two sides.
Bradford City v Coventry City
- Bradford have lost four of their last five on opening day (D1). That draw did come last season on their return to the third tier (2-2 v Bristol City).
- Since their drop to League One, Coventry have failed to win either of their opening day matches (D1 L1).
- When at home for their opening league games, Bradford have lost just two of their last 13 (W8 D3).
- No-one conceded more penalty kicks than Coventry last season in England's top four divisions (12).
- Both games ended as draws last season. In fact, three of their last four meetings have been tied (with one win for Bradford).
Colchester United v Oldham Athletic
- This will be the first time since 2002/03 that Colchester will be starting the season at home.
- Oldham are set for their 18th consecutive season in the third tier.
- Colchester have won their last three home games to start the season.
- Only relegated Shrewsbury (3) scored fewer goals from outside the area last season in League One than Oldham (5).
- 90% of Oldham's league goals in 2013/14 came inside the area.
- The away side have won three of the last four games between these two teams, with the other ending as a draw.
Fleetwood v Crewe Alexandra
- All three of Fleetwood's seasons in the Football League have started with a game at home.
- Crewe dropped 26 points from leading points in League One last season; more than any other side.
- Town are unbeaten in their two season opening matches (W1 D1).
- Fulham (85) were the only side to ship more goals than Crewe in the top four tiers during 2013/14.
- The only previous meeting between these two sides came last season in the Football League Trophy. Fleetwood won 4-0.
Leyton Orient v Chesterfield
- This will be just the second time in the last nine seasons that Leyton Orient have started the season at home.
- Chesterfield were the top scorers in League Two last season (71) and managed to keep the tightest defence as well (41), including the playoffs.
- Orient have won just one of their last four matches to start a league season (L3).
- Orient scored 49 times in the second half of their matches last season; more than any other League One side.
- Chesterfield have lost just one of their last five season opening matches in the third tier (W3 D1).
MK Dons v Gillingham
- MK Dons have drawn three and lost none of their last five league matches on opening day (W2).
- Last season's 0-1 defeat to Colchester marked the first time in six seasons that Gillingham had started the campaign in defeat (W3 D2).
- Gillingham were one of three teams (also Liverpool and Fulham) in the top four leagues not to be involved in a 0-0 last season.
- MK Dons struck 17 times from outside the area last season in League One. Only promoted side Rotherham (19) and Wolves (20) managed more.
- Gillingham took all six points from MK Dons last season, winning both games by a single goal.
Port Vale v Walsall
- Port Vale are unbeaten in nine opening weekends, having won five of those matches (D4).
- Walsall lost both of their clashes with Port Vale last season in the league; but did better them in the League Cup (2-1).
- The Vale's last defeat on the opening day came in August 2004 against Walsall (2-3) although they were away from home
- Walsall scored just 18 times in the first half last season, fewer than any other side in League One.
Preston v Notts County
- No-one lost fewer home games in League One last season than Preston North End (2).
- Only Newcastle (4 from 38 games) were involved in fewer league draws in 2013/14 than Notts County (5) across England's top four divisions.
- Preston scored more headed goals last season than any other side in League One (19).
- County have won three and lost three of their last six matches on the opening day of the season.
- Preston conceded more fouls (642) than any other team in the Football League last season.
Rochdale v Peterborough
- Rochdale's only win on the opening weekend in the last eight seasons came last year against Hartlepool (3-0; D4 L3).
- No team in the Football League scored more goals from penalties last season than Peterborough (10).
- Blackpool (10) were the only Football League side to pick up more red cards than Rochdale (9) last season.
- Only promoted sides Rotherham (34) and Wolves (26) scored more goals in the opening 30 minutes of matches last season than Peterborough (25).
- Peterborough have drawn none of their last 12 games on the opening weekend of a league season (W7 L5).
Swindon v Scunthorpe
- Swindon picked up 45 of their 66 points at home last season. Only Brentford and Wolves had better home records than the Robins.
- Scunthorpe were involved in more league draws in 2013/14 than any other side in England's top four tiers (21).
- Both teams have scored in the last seven meetings between these two teams.
- Scunthorpe's 3-1 win in April 2013 was their first victory over Swindon since 1985 (6-2).
Yeovil v Doncaster Rovers
- Yeovil Town have enjoyed three victories in their last six matches on the opening weekend of the season (D2 L1).
- Similarly, Doncaster Rovers have won three and lost just one of their last six opening games in the third tier.
- These two teams have been promoted and relegated together over the last two seasons.
- Each side won their home clash when they met in the Championship last season.
- James Hayter has scored the opening goal in Yeovil's last two home games against Rovers.