Opta Facts - Champions League - Matchday 4
Real Sociedad v Manchester United
- Sociedad have lost all three of their European matches against English sides (twice to Liverpool, once to Man Utd two weeks ago)
- Real have gone four European home games without a win, this coming after a spell of nine successive wins previously (excludes qualifiers).
- United's clean sheet against Sociedad last time out was their first in 10 Champions League games.
- United have won only eight of their last 35 European games against Spanish opposition.
- Man Utd have scored only three goals in their last six European away games in Spain.
- United have made more defensive clearances than any other team (148).
- Wayne Rooney is the top scoring English player in Champions League history with 29 goals.
- Manchester United have conceded exactly one goal in each of their last five Champions League away games.
- United managed only three shots on target in their previous away game this season, only one team (Plzen had zero v Bayern).
Shakhtar Donetsk v Bayer 04 Leverkusen
- Shakhtar have lost their last two Champions League games against German opposition by a combined score of 0-7 (including a 4-0 defeat to Leverkusen two weeks ago).
- Leverkusen have kept five clean sheets in their last six European games against Ukrainian opposition.
- But Leverkusen have gone 13 Champions League away games without a clean sheet and have conceded 11 goals in their last two away trips.
- The last team to lose a Champions League home game to Bayer Leverkusen were Maccabi Haifa in October 2002.
- Leverkusen have reached the knockout stages in their last two appearances in the Champions League without recording an away win in the group stage.
FC Copenhagen v Galatasaray
- Copenhagen have kept only one clean sheet in their last nine Champions League games.
- Galatasaray have gone 14 Champions League games without a clean sheet away from home.
- Didier Drogba has scored in Galatasaray's last two Champions League games.
- Drogba is the top scoring African in Champions League history (42 goals) and the third highest scorer currently active in the competition (after Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo).
- Galatasaray have won three of their last five CL away games after a spell of eight defeats from their previous nine road trips.
- Copenhagen have lost only one of their last eight Champions League home games.
Juventus v Real Madrid
- None of the 15 previous European competition meetings between Juventus and Real Madrid have ended as a draw.
- The 15 games between Juve and Real have averaged exactly two goals per game.
- Juventus have scored a total of seven goals in their last eight European games against Spanish sides.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored seven goals in his three Champions League appearances this season.
- Ronaldo's total of seven goals is more than 26 teams have managed in total (including Barcelona)
- Overall Ronaldo has scored in nine of his last 10 appearances in the competition (a total of 14 goals).
- Angel Di Maria leads the competition in assists this season with four.
- Juventus have won only four of their last 11 Champions League home games.
- Only Arsenal (14 in 2010-11) have scored more goals after three group games than Real Madrid have this season (12).
Olympiakos v Benfica
- Olympiakos have gone eight games without a clean sheet at home in the Champions League.
- The last team to travel to Olympiakos and fail to score in the Champions League were Arsenal in December 2009.
- Olympiakos have won all three Champions League home games against sides from Portugal.
- Olympiakos have been flagged offside more than any other side (16).
- Olympiakos are one of only two teams to concede more than one penalty in the Champions League this season (along with Ajax - both two).
- Olympiakos have conceded more goals from corners than any other side this season (three).
- Benfica have won only three of their last 19 Champions League away games.
- Benfica have failed to score in three of their last four Champions League away games.
Paris Saint Germain v Anderlecht
- In the reverse fixture two weeks ago Zlatan Ibrahimovic became the 10th player to score four goals in a Champions League game.
- PSG are unbeaten in their last 11 European competition games, one game short of their club record of 12 set in November 2002.
- PSG have scored a total of 12 goals in their last three Champions League games.
- Anderlecht have conceded a total of 15 goals in their last five Champions League matches, and failed to score in the last three.
- PSG lead the competition this season in headed goals with four and goals from corners with five.
- The average age of Anderlecht's starting line-up in the reverse fixture two weeks ago was the youngest of any team in the Champions League this season (22y 204d)
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic has scored six goals in his last two Champions League games.
- Ibrahimovic is the fourth highest currently active scorer in Champions League history with 37 goals.
- Anderlecht's Massimo Bruno has conceded only two fouls but has picked up two yellow cards.
- Only Arsenal (14 in 2010-11) have scored more goals after three group games than PSG have this season (12).
Manchester City v CSKA Moscow
- Manchester City already have twice as many points (six) as they managed in the 2012-13 Champions League group games, from half the games.
- City have only lost one European home game (excluding qualifiers) to a non-English side but that came in their last match at the Etihad (v Bayern).
- If Manchester City win this it will only be the second time they've won two consecutive Champions League games.
- CSKA Moscow have never won a European away game in England (D3 L1).
- Sergio Aguero has attempted 15 shots in the Champions League this season, only Zlatan Ibrahimovic (17) and Cristiano Ronaldo (16) have had more.
- Aguero has scored five goals in his last six Champions League appearances.
- Alvaro Negredo has started only three times in his 10 Champions League appearances.
- CSKA have conceded more first half goals (five) than any other team this season.
- Man City have made four errors leading to a goal in the Champions League this season, more than any other side.
Viktoria Plzen v Bayern Munich
- Viktoria Plzen have conceded 11 goals in three Champions League games this season, more than any other side.
- Bayern have won their last eight Champions League games in a row, a club record and one short of the all-time Champions League record (nine set by Barcelona in 2002-03).
- Plzen have managed only six shots on target in three games, fewer than any other side this season.
- The average age of Viktoria Plzen's starting line-up in the reverse fixture two weeks ago was the oldest of any team in the Champions League this season (29y 282d)
- Franck Ribery has created more goalscoring chances without assisting a goal than any other player in the Champions League this season (13)
- Bayern mustered 35 shots (including blocked) in the reverse fixture two weeks ago, eight more than any other team has managed in a game this season.
- Plzen, in contrast, managed just a single shot in the entire game, fewer than any other side in a game this term.
- Bayern scored six times in MD4 last season, and it was the highest scoring matchday overall in 2012-13 with 58 goals.
- Arjen Robben has scored (five) or assisted (four) nine goals in his last six Champions League appearances.
Basel v Steaua Bucharest
- Basel have kept only two clean sheets in their last 26 Champions League games, but one of those was against a Romanian side (Cluj in November 2010).
- Steaua have scored only one goal in their last six appearances in the Champions League, right against Basel in the reverse fixture.
- The Romanians have only kept two clean sheets in 21 Champions League away games.
- Basel have embarked on fewer dribbles than any other side in this season's competition (16).
- None of Basel's last 14 Champions League home games has ended as a draw (W6 L8).
- Basel are unbeaten in their last four Champions League games against Romanian sides (W3 D1).
- Steaua have won only four of their 39 Champions League games (10%).
Chelsea v FC Schalke 04
- Chelsea have won five and drawn the other of their six Champions League home games against German sides (keeping five clean sheets in the process).
- Schalke have won two of their nine Champions League meetings against English sides (both against Arsenal).
- Chelsea haven't kept three successive clean sheets in the Champions League since October 2010.
- The reverse fixture two weeks ago was the first time Schalke had failed to score in 12 Champions League matches.
- No team has hit the woodwork more than Chelsea this season (four times)
- Fernando Torres (eight) has scored more European goals than Lionel Messi (seven) in 2013.
Borussia Dortmund v Arsenal
- Arsenal are unbeaten in their last four Champions League away games in Germany (W2, D2).
- The Gunners have scored in each of their last eight Champions League games in Germany.
- Dortmund have kept only one clean sheet in their last seven Champions League games.
- Dortmund have won their last seven home games in the Champions League, equalling their best run (between 1996 and 1998).
- Arsenal have scored two goals in the opening 15 minutes this season, something only reigning champions Bayern can match.
- Olivier Giroud has scored three goals in his last four Champions League appearances.
- Robert Lewandowski has three goals in three Champions League appearances this season.
- Lewandowski has scored (11) or assisted (two) 13 goals in his last 12 Champions League appearances.
- Arsenal's record after three games is the same as last season (W2 L1).
Napoli v Marseille
- Napoli have won five of their last seven Champions League games, losing the other two.
- Napoli are unbeaten at home in the Champions League/European Cup (W5 D3).
- Arsenal last month became the only side ever to keep a clean sheet against Napoli in the Champions League.
- Marseille have lost each of their last six Champions League games, they have never lost seven or more in a row before.
- The French side have conceded at least two goals in each of their last six Champions League games.
- Napoli are the only side in this season's Champions League to have six points and not be in the top two currently.
- Gonzalo Higuaín has a goal and an assist in two games for Napoli in the Champions League.
Zenit St Petersburg v FC Porto
- Zenit have lost just one of their last 10 Champions League home games (W4 D5).
- Porto have kept four clean sheets in their last six Champions League away games.
- Porto have won four of their five European away games in Russia.
- The Portuguese side have never failed to score in an away game in Russia.
- Zenit's last three wins in the Champions League have been by one goal to nil.
- Zenit have scored only 11 goals in their last 13 Champions League matches.
- Of Zenit's two goals this season, Hulk has scored one and assisted the other.
Atletico Madrid v FK Austria Vienna
- Atletico have won three successive Champions League games for the first time.
- Atletico have misplaced more passes than any other side in this season's competition (289).
- Diego Costa scored two goals on his Champions League debut.
- Atletico have won only one of their last five Champions League games at the Vicente Calderón (D3 L1).
- Austrian teams have picked up just one point from their last 11 group games in the Champions League.
- Austrian sides have conceded a total of 55 goals in 22 Champions League away games, an average of 2.5 per game.
- Austrian sides have scored only 12 goals in their 22 away games in the Champions League.
Ajax v Celtic
- Ajax have only ever won one of their five European encounters with Celtic (D1 L3).
- Celtic have scored exactly two goals in their last three meetings with Ajax.
- Celtic have won only one of their 25 Champions League away games (W1 D1 L23).
- Celtic's last clean sheet away from home in the European Cup was against Werder Bremen in November 1988 (a 0-0 draw).
- Celtic have produced only six shots from inside the box this season, no team has had fewer.
- Ajax are one of only two teams to concede more than one penalty in the Champions League this season (along with Olympiakos - both two).
Barcelona v AC Milan
- Barcelona have won their last two Champions League home games against AC Milan, scoring seven goals in the process.
- AC Milan have won only three of their last 16 Champions League away games and only one of their last 11 Champions League away games in Spain.
- Barcelona have played 11 through balls in the Champions League this season, more than any other side.
- Barcelona played 809 passes in the reverse fixture two weeks ago, compared to just 301 from the hosts.
- Lionel Messi has scored four of Barcelona's six goals so far this season.
- Barcelona's total of six goals from their opening three games is their lowest haul at this stage since scoring three in 2009-10.
- AC Milan's total of four goals from three games is one more than they had at this stage last season.
- Cesc Fabregas has gone 14 games without recording an assist in the Champions League.