Premier League Opta Facts – October 1-3
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Everton v Liverpool
- There have been 19 red cards in this fixture, more than in any other match up in Premier League history, 10 of those coming in the last 13 meetings.
- Martin Atkinson has given 14 red cards in the Premier League since the start of 2010/11; more than any other referee.
- Everton have won just one of the last nine Merseyside derbies in the Premier League (W1 D3 L5).
- Kenny Dalglish's final match as Liverpool manager in his first spell was a 4-4 draw in the FA Cup against Everton in February 1991.
- Dirk Kuyt has scored in his last three Merseyside derbies and has five in this fixture overall (joint-most against any opponent in the Premier League).
- Tim Cahill has scored five goals in 11 appearances against Liverpool; only against Aston Villa (6) has he netted more in the Premier League.
- Everton have only lost one of their last 14 Premier League games at Goodison Park (W8 D5 L1).
- Liverpool have kept just one clean sheet in their last seven Premier League away matches.
- There have been three red cards in the three Premier League games involving Liverpool as the away side this term.
- The Reds have failed to score in three of their last four Premier League away matches.
- This fixture at Goodison Park has finished with a 2-0 scoreline in each of the last three seasons.
Aston Villa v Wigan Athletic
- Only one of the 12 Premier League matches between Aston Villa and Wigan has ended as a home win and none of the last 10. (Home wins 1 Draws 4 Away Wins 7).
- Wigan have won three and drawn three of their six trips to Villa Park in the Premier League era, but have won only one of the last six against Villa home and away.
- When the two sides met at Villa Park last season, Wigan's goal was netted by Charles N'Zogbia who has since moved to the Midlands in the summer.
- Wigan have won just two of their last 13 Premier League away games (W2 D5 L6).
- Aston Villa are unbeaten in their last seven Premier League games at Villa Park, winning three and drawing four.
- The Villans have lost just one of their last 14 Premier League games but they have drawn the last four in a row.
- Wigan have lost their last three Premier League matches but haven't lost four in a row since October 2008.
- Richard Dunne scored his 9th Premier League own goal last weekend, two more than any other player in the division's history.
- Villa are only the third team in PL history to draw five of their first six games (after Ipswich in 1992-93 and Fulham last season).
- Aston Villa have the worst shooting accuracy in the Premier League hitting the target with just 31% of their shots.
Blackburn Rovers v Manchester City
- Manchester City have lost none of their last seven Premier League games against Blackburn (W4 D3 L0), winning four of the last five.
- Rovers have kept just one clean sheet in their last eight Premier League games at Ewood Park.
- Blackburn scored as many goals in their last Premier League match at Ewood Park as they had mustered in the previous six home games (4).
- Carlos Tevez has scored five goals in eight Premier League appearances against Blackburn.
- Edin Dzeko scored his first ever Premier League goal on City's last visit to Ewood Park which turned out to be the winner in a 1-0 victory.
- Rovers have won just two of their last 10 Premier League matches at Ewood Park.
- Manchester City have taken 25 from a possible 27 points in their last nine Premier League matches.
- City have benefitted from four goals by substitutes this season, more than any other side.
- Rovers have committed more fouls (87) than any other team in the top flight.
- Man City have picked up just six yellow cards and no reds in the Premier League, fewer cards than any other team.
Manchester United v Norwich City
- Manchester United have won six and drawn one of the eight Premier League games against Norwich, but the Canaries won the last meeting (2-0) in April 2005.
- All 13 goals scored by Man Utd against Norwich in the Premier League have been netted before the 60th minute.
- Manchester United's have won 18 consecutive home matches, extending their Premier League record and equalling an overall club record.
- Man Utd have scored in their last 33 consecutive matches at Old Trafford in the Premier League, winning 31 and losing just one of those matches.
- Wayne Rooney has scored six goals and one assist in his last eight Premier League matches at Old Trafford.
- Rooney has scored 10 goals in his last six Premier League starts.
- Manchester United have allowed their opponents more shots (85) against them than any other Premier League club this season.
- Man Utd have kept just two clean sheets in their last 10 Premier League matches.
- Ashley Young has a league-leading five goal assists in the Premier League this season.
- Norwich have not won three Premier League games in a row since October 1993.
Sunderland v West Bromwich Albion
- The Black Cats have lost eight and won two of their last 10 Premier League matches at the Stadium of Light.
- Peter Odemwingie scored in both Premier League meetings against Sunderland last season.
- The Baggies have won their last three Premier League games in a row against Sunderland, their longest winning run against any opponent in the competition's history.
- West Brom have won two and lost just one of their four Premier League visits to the Stadium of Light.
- The Baggies have taken more points away from home against Sunderland (7) than against any other Premier League opponent.
- West Brom have kept just one clean sheet in their last 22 Premier League away matches.
- A clean sheet last time out against Stoke City ended a run of 10 Premier League home matches without a shut out for the Black Cats.
- West Brom have never won a Premier League away game in October, losing seven of their eight fixtures, but their one draw came last time out away at Old Trafford against Manchester United in October 2010.
- West Brom have converted just 5% of their shots into goals, the lowest proportion in the top flight.
- Sunderland have kept only four clean sheets in their last 22 Premier League games.
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Newcastle United
- Wolves have only kept one clean sheet in their last eight Premier League home matches.
- Three of the four Premier League meetings between Newcastle and Wolves have ended 1-1 with the other finishing 4-1 to the Magpies.
- Sylvan Ebanks-Blake scored in both meetings with Newcastle United last season.
- Newcastle are unbeaten in their last four Premier League away matches, drawing three of the four games.
- Newcastle are unbeaten in their last nine Premier League games, though they have won only four of those.
- The last time Newcastle went 10 games unbeaten in the top flight was August 1997.
- Newcastle have the best defensive record in the top flight with just three goals conceded so far this season and just 18 shots on target allowed to opponents.
- Newcastle have been forced into five clearances off the line by defenders; more than any other team in the Premier League.
- Wolves and Newcastle have only fielded 14 players in their Premier League starting line ups, the joint-fewest along with Liverpool in the top flight.
- Wolves have not lost at home to a side from the north east in the Premier League (W3 D2 L0).
Bolton Wanderers v Chelsea
- Chelsea are unbeaten in their last 15 Premier League games against Bolton (W12 D3 L0) with the Blues winning the last six in a row and not conceding in the last four.
- Bolton have lost the last eight Premier League games in a row at the Reebok versus Chelsea, the longest losing run of any team at home to a single opponent.
- Bolton haven't scored in that eight game run and hold the record for the longest run of home games against a single opponent without scoring in Premier League history.
- Bolton have lost their last five home matches, their longest run in the history of top flight football. Oddly, before this run, they won five matches in a row at the Reebok Stadium.
- Nicolas Anelka has scored five goals in his last eight Premier League games against Bolton.
- Didier Drogba has scored five goals in his last six appearances against Bolton in all competitions and in his last two games at the Reebok Stadium.
- Chelsea have won just one of their last five Premier League away games (W1 D1 L3).
- Bolton have lost 10 of their last 11 Premier League matches.
- The Trotters have drawn just one of their last 22 Premier League matches.Chelsea have drawn only one of their last 19 Premier League visits to play north west clubs.
Fulham v QPR
- Fulham have lost just one of their last 12 Premier League games at Craven Cottage (W6 D5 L1), though they have drawn the last four in a row.
- QPR have failed to score in their last four games against Fulham.
- Since the start of last season, Fulham have drawn more games than any other side in the Premier League (20).
- Fulham have won none of their last nine Premier League London derbies (D3 L6).
- This will be the first ever league meeting between west London neighbours Fulham and QPR in the top flight.
- In seasons 2002-03 and 2003-04, Fulham played their home games at QPR's stadium Loftus Road while Craven Cottage was being redeveloped. Fulham won 53% of games at Loftus Road compared to 45% they have won at Craven Cottage in Premier League history.
- Fulham have won none of their last seven Premier League matches, though five of them have been draws including the last three in a row.
- QPR have used 21 different starters in the Premier League, the joint-most in the Premier League along with Arsenal.
- Fulham have only won 19% of their Premier League London derbies, the lowest proportion by any of the capital clubs.
- QPR have won none of their last seven top flight London derbies away from home (D2 L5).
Swansea City v Stoke City
- Swansea are currently unbeaten in 11 successive home games in league competition.
- Stoke City have only won one of their last 13 Premier League away games (W1 D3 L9).
- The last seven league meetings between Swansea and Stoke have ended with a 2-1 scoreline.
- The last six games in all competitions between Stoke and the Swans in Swansea have all been won by a single-goal margin.
- Stoke have fired in just 15 shots on target so far, fewer than any other team in the Premier League.
- Swansea have conceded just 43 fouls this season, fewer than any other team in the top flight.
- The Swans have seen their own woodwork struck seven times this season, more than any other Premier League side.
- Stoke have scored only four goals in their last eight Premier League matches.
- Peter Crouch became the sixth player to score for six different Premier League clubs when he scored for Stoke last week. He also scored for Southampton, Portsmouth, Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool and Aston Villa.
- Stoke City have lost 49 Premier League matches.
Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal
- Emmanuel Adebayor scored eight goals in nine games in all competitions for Arsenal against Spurs.
- Since Harry Redknapp joined Tottenham, Spurs have won two, drawn three and lost two of the seven meetings in all competitions against Arsenal.
- Tottenham have kept just one clean sheet in their last 31 matches in all competitions against the Gunners.
- There were 16 goals scored in the three meetings between Arsenal and Tottenham last season and four penalties netted.
- Robin van Persie has scored four goals in his last four Premier League starts against Spurs.
- Rafael van der Vaart has scored three goals in his two Premier League appearances against the Gunners.
- Gareth Bale has scored three goals in the Premier League against Arsenal, more than versus any other opponent.
- Arsenal have won just two of their last 16 matches in all competitions away from the Emirates Stadium, including the Carling Cup Final at Wembley (W2 D7 L7) and conceded 12 goals in their last two Premier League away matches.
- Spurs have lost none of their last 15 home London derbies in the Premier League (W9 D6 L0) since defeat against Arsenal in September 2007.
- Arsenal and Tottenham have drawn 17 times in the Premier League, the most ties of any fixture in the history of the competition.
- Spurs have managed just two headed attempts on target this season, both resulting in goals.
- Arsenal have earned the most red cards this season (3) while Spurs have seen the joint-most opponents dismissed (3).