Premier League Opta Facts - New Year's Day
Stoke City v Manchester United
- Manchester United have won 11 and lost just one of the 13 Barclays Premier League meetings with Stoke City.
- Robin van Persie has scored 10 goals in 10 Premier League appearances against the Potters, including four in five for Manchester United.
- Mark Hughes played 467 times for Manchester United in all competitions - the all-time 14th highest appearance maker for the club.
- Man Utd have won five and lost just one of their last seven away games in all competitions against Stoke.
- The Red Devils have won six and lost just two of their 11 Premier League matches played on New Year's Day.
- Stoke are looking to record three successive Premier League clean sheets for only the second time (after April 2010).
- Wayne Rooney needs two more goals to become the first player in Premier League history to score 10+ goals in 11 consecutive seasons.
- Rooney has provided five goals and two assists in his last seven Premier League appearances.
- Peter Crouch has scored only twice in 20 Premier League appearances against Man Utd but both have come for Stoke.
- Former Manchester United forward Mame Biram Diouf scored a brace for Stoke on Sunday, the first player to score multiple goals for the Potters in a Premier League game since Jonathan Walters on Boxing Day 2012.
Aston Villa v Crystal Palace
- Aston Villa have only scored two goals their last five league meetings with Crystal Palace combined.
- The Eagles have scored exactly once in each of their last four league trips to Villa Park.
- Aston Villa are unbeaten in their last six matches on New Year's Day in the Premier League (W4 D2).
- Aston Villa scored only 11 goals in the first half of the 2014-15 PL season. The lowest scorers in an entire Premier League season are Derby in 2007-08 with 20.
- Neil Warnock posted a win percentage of 19% in the Premier League at Palace, compared to Tony Pulis's rate of 42%.
- Palace have the lowest pass completion of any Premier League team this season (68%).
- Crystal Palace have exactly the same number of points that they had at the halfway stage of the 2013-14 season (16 points from 19 games) - they ended last season in 11th place.
- Gabriel Agbonlahor has scored against 32 of the 35 different teams that he has faced in the Premier League; but Palace are one of the three sides he is yet to score against (in three PL apps). The other teams he's failed to net against in the PL are Cardiff and Leicester.
- Of the 17 ever-present sides in the Premier League during 2014, Aston Villa scored the fewest goals (32) in the calendar year.
- Crystal Palace have won just one of their last 13 Premier League matches (W1 D5 L7).
Hull City v Everton
- Gaston Ramirez has scored two goals in three Premier League meetings with the Toffees.
- Romelu Lukaku has scored in two of his three meetings with Hull City as an Everton player.
- Everton have won four of the seven Premier League meetings with Hull (W4 D2 L1).
- Hull scored from their only shots on target as they drew 1-1 with Everton at Goodison Park back in early December.
- Everton have won only three and lost seven of their 12 Premier League games played on New Year's Day.
- Everton have conceded 31 goals already this season after only letting in 39 in the whole of 2013-14.
- Everton have made fewer crosses (excl. corners) than any other side this season (245).
- Hull have made fewer touches in the opposition penalty area than any other Premier League team this season (256).
- Hull have scored four goals in their last seven Premier League games, and three of those came in the win versus Sunderland on Boxing Day.
- The Tigers have collected three red cards in their last eight Premier League games.
Liverpool v Leicester City
- Liverpool have won their last three meetings with the Foxes at Anfield; this after a run of three successive defeats there.
- While three members of the current Leicester squad (Taylor-Fletcher, Nugent, Konchesky) have scored a PL goal against Liverpool; no one has scored one at Anfield.
- Liverpool scored three goals from just three shots on target in their 3-1 win over Leicester in the reverse fixture back in early December.
- Liverpool have won five and lost just one of their seven Premier League games played at Anfield on New Year's Day.
- Liverpool's win against Swansea on Monday was the first time they had scored 4+ goals in a Premier League game since March (4-0 v Spurs).
- Liverpool are looking to win three Premier League games in a row for the first time since their run of 11 successive wins in the spring.
- Adam Lallana has two goals and an assist in his last two Premier League games at Anfield and scored in the reverse fixture against the Foxes last month.
- Liverpool, along with Arsenal and Stoke, are the only teams to win all their games in the festive period so far (Boxing Day + Dec 28-29).
- Liverpool have scored more goals in their past three games (7) than they had in the previous eight combined (6).
Manchester City v Sunderland
- Manchester City have won eight and lost none of their 10 previous Premier League home games against the Black Cats.
- Sunderland have never kept an away clean sheet against Manchester City in the Premier League era (conceding 28).
- James Milner has scored more goals against Sunderland (5) than he has versus any other Premier League opponent.
- Manchester City scored four goals from just four shots on target when they beat Sunderland 4-1 at the Stadium of Light back in Early December.
- Manchester City have won six and lost just one of their last nine Premier League games on New Year's Day. The one defeat was a 0-1 loss to Sunderland in 2012.
- Connor Wickham has scored three goals in two Premier League appearances against Man City.
- There have been 25 goals netted in the last five meetings between these two sides at the Etihad Stadium.
- Sunderland have already drawn six games 0-0 this season, more than they have in any of their 13 previous Premier League campaigns.
- Sunderland have kept four successive clean sheets away from home for the first time in their Premier League history. They last kept four in a row in the top-flight in Feb 1902 and have never kept five in succession in the top tier.
- Man City threw away a two goal lead at home for the first time since October 2009 last time out against Burnley.
Newcastle United v Burnley
- These sides have not met in the North East since November 1982, when Newcastle won 3-0.
- Burnley's last victory at St James Park dates back to April 1976; they have drawn one and lost two since that 1-0 triumph.
- Newcastle are unbeaten at St James Park on New Year's Day winning four and drawing one of their five home fixtures on that date in the Premier League era.
- Burnley have named the same team in their last five Premier League games and their starting XI all played 90 minutes against Manchester City on December 28.
- On average Burnley are covering more distance (116.2 km per game) than any other Premier League team this season.
- Only one of Newcastle's last 12 Premier League games has ended in a draw (W7 L4).
- Burnley have scored five goals in their last four Premier League away games after bagging only two in the opening five combined.
- Cheik Tiote has been booked in four of his last five Premier League appearances.
- Only six players have scored for Burnley this season, no club has a smaller spread.
- If you count Ashley Barnes as English (born in Bath but has played for Austria u20s) then all 22 players that Burnley have used this season have come from the UK & Ireland.
Queens Park Rangers v Swansea City
- There have been eight goals in two PL clashes between these sides at Loftus Road, with QPR winning 3-0 and Swansea winning 5-0.
- Swansea have won their last three Premier League meetings with the R's, scoring 11 in total.
- All 18 of QPR's points this season have been won at Loftus Road.
- QPR have already won four more points at Loftus Road this season (18) than in the entire 2012/13 campaign (14).
- Rangers have seen more of their shots (6) cleared off the line than any other Premier League side this season.
- Charlie Austin has been directly involved in 67% of QPR's league goals this season; more than any other player in England's top four tiers.
- Austin is only the second player to score 12 or more Premier League goals for QPR in a single season after Les Ferdinand (92/93, 93/94, 95/96).
- No side has conceded more set-piece goals this season in the Premier League than QPR (11) - level with Crystal Palace.
- Nathan Dyer has scored three goals in his last three league starts against QPR at Loftus Road.
- QPR have won four and lost none of their last six Premier League matches at Loftus Road, this after winning just three of the previous 23.
Southampton v Arsenal
- Southampton are without a win in 10 Premier League meetings with the Gunners (D4 L6).
- Olivier Giroud has scored three goals in two Premier League starts against Saints.
- Arsene Wenger has come up against Ronald Koeman on eight occasions, winning just two matches, drawing four and losing two.
- Arsenal have won seven and lost just one of their nine New Year's Day fixtures in Premier League history. The one draw came away against Southampton in 2013.
- There have been five red cards in just six Premier League meetings between Arsenal and Southampton at St Mary's.
- Arsenal have lost just one of their six trips to St Mary's but the last three have been draws.
- Arsenal have scored two goals in each of their last three Premier League away games (and have won one, drawn one and lost one).
- Alexis Sanchez has only scored one goal in his last five Premier League appearances.
- But Sanchez has scored or assisted 47% of Arsenal's Premier League goals this season (16 of 34).
- Southampton have faced a league-low 174 shots at their goal, while Arsenal have conceded the next fewest (191).
West Ham United v West Bromwich Albion
- West Ham have only lost two of their last 12 Barclays Premier League clashes with the Baggies (W5 D5).
- The Baggies have not won at Upton Park since their first Premier League trip there in September 2002 (D3 L2).
- West Brom have won just one of their five Premier League New Year's Day fixtures (W1 D1 L3).
- West Ham have lost seven of their 10 Premier League New Year's Day games (W3 L7).
- Saido Berahino has scored in two of his three Premier League games against West Ham.
- West Ham and West were two of only three sides to lose both of their games over the Boxing Day and December 28 matchdays (along with Everton).
- West Brom have conceded eight goals in their last three Premier League games.
- West Ham have not lost three Premier League games in a row since April.
- Stewart Downing has created 54 goalscoring chances this season, more than twice as many as the Baggies' top creator (Dorrans, 25).
- 11 of Andy Carroll's 24 shots (excl. blocked) this season in the Premier League have come via his head.
Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea
- Spurs have won three and lost just one of their last eight Barclays Premier League home games against the Blues (D4).
- After winning his first two trips to White Hart Lane 2-0, Jose Mourinho has drawn one and lost one of his last two trips to the North London venue.
- Didier Drogba has scored four goals and assisted five more in his last nine Premier League games against Spurs.
- The Blues have won six and lost two of their eight New Year's Day Premier League fixtures.
- Loic Remy has scored in two of his three Premier League appearances against Spurs.
- Cesc Fabregas has assisted eight goals in his last eight Premier League games against Tottenham and scored two himself.
- Chelsea are unbeaten in the last nine Premier League games against Spurs (W4 D5).
- Since 2006-07 Chelsea have picked up 17 yellow cards for simulation, more than any other Premier League side (Tottenham have 16 in that period).
- Six Tottenham games have ended as 2-1 wins this season, they have not experienced any other scoreline more than twice.
- Every time Chelsea have scored two or more goals in the Premier League this season they have won (14 times), every time they have scored fewer than twice they have failed to win (five times).