Premier League Opta Facts - Sept 1-2
The Premier League is in full flow, and before next weekend's international break, clubs will be looking to take some momentum into the break. Will Chelsea still be on top come the end opf the weekend, willl Swansea's form continue? Here are some OPTA stats for you to help decide.
West Ham United v Fulham
- Carlton Cole has scored six goals in his last six Premier League appearances against Fulham and also netted an own goal in one of those games too.
- There have been seven red cards in the last 14 Premier League meetings between Fulham and West Ham.
- Fulham have only won four of 49 Premier League London derbies away from home (W4 D17 L28).
- The Whites have only won one of the last 15 Premier League games against the Hammers (W1 D5 L9).
- The Hammers have won three and drawn four of the last seven home league games against Fulham, since losing the first Premier League meeting with the Whites at Upton Park 0-2 in November 2001..
- West Ham have won eight and lost just one of their last 15 home league games (including Championship play-offs).
- Fulham have only scored 11 goals in their last 15 Premier League away games.
- The Whites have hit the target with a league high 75% of shots in the Premier League this season.
- West Ham have conceded more fouls than any other Premier League team this season (36).
- Fulham have drawn just one of their last 17 Premier League matches (W9 D1 L7).
Swansea City v Sunderland
- Sunderland have won only one of the last eight league games against Swansea (W1 D3 L4).
- Swansea failed to score in both Premier League games against Sunderland last season, one of four teams the Swans failed to breach last term in league competition.
- Sunderland have won none of their last eight Premier League away games (W0 D4 L4).
- The Black Cats have failed to score in five of their last eight league games on the road.
- Michu has scored three goals from just three shots on target.
- Swansea have lost just one of their last seven Premier League games (W4 D2 L1), winning their last three in a row.
- The Swans have scored eight goals from just 11 shots on target so far this season.
- Danny Graham has scored in three successive Premier League home appearances for the Swans.
- Martin O'Neill saw his side pick up 22 points from his first 10 games in charge, but they have pocketed just 13 in their last 15 Premier League outings.
- Sunderland have failed to score in six of their last eight Premier League matches.
Tottenham Hotspur v Norwich City
- Six of the last eight Premier League meetings between Norwich and Spurs have ended as away wins (one home win, one draw).
- Tottenham have hit the woodwork three times this season, more often than any other team.
- Jermain Defoe has fired in more shots on target (5) than any other Premier League player.
- Andre Villas-Boas has picked up only three wins from his last 14 Premier League matches.
- Spurs have won 13 and lost just two of their last 19 Premier League games at White Hart Lane.
- Norwich City were the last team to win away at White Hart Lane when they beat Spurs 2-1 in April 2012.
- Since winning at White Hart Lane, Norwich have won just one of their last seven Premier League games (W1 D2 L4).
- 13 of Jermain Defoe's last 14 Premier League goals for Tottenham have been scored in the 60th minute or later.
- Norwich have used more players than any other team in the Premier League this season (19) so far.
- The Canaries have only won one of the last seven Premier League road trips (W1 D1 L5).
West Bromwich Albion v Everton
- Victor Anichebe has scored in three of his five Premier League appearances against West Brom, including both matches last season.
- Leon Osman has scored four goals against West Brom in the Premier League; he's only been more prolific against Aston Villa in the competition (5).
- The Baggies and the Toffees have met six times in the Premier League at The Hawthorns with the sides winning three games apiece.
- West Brom have kept six clean sheets in their last eight Premier League games at The Hawthorns.
- Leighton Baines has created more chances for team-mates than any other player in the Premier League (13).
- Everton have lost just one of their last 10 Premier League away matches (W2 D7 L1).
- Only Chelsea (38, and have played a game extra) have attempted more shots (excl. blocked) than Everton in the Premier League this season.
- The Toffees are unbeaten in their last 11 Premier League matches (W7 D4 L0).
- West Brom have lost just one of their last seven Premier League games (W3 D3 L1).
- Marouane Fellaini has committed more fouls than any other player in the Premier League this season (10).
Wigan Athletic v Stoke City
- Only two of the last 11 league matches between Wigan and Stoke have ended as home wins.
- The now-departed Victor Moses scored in both league meetings between Stoke and Wigan last season.
- Wigan have lost none of the last six league meetings with Stoke (W2 D4 L0).
- Defeat to Chelsea last time out at the DW Stadium ended a run of four straight home wins in the Premier League for the Latics.
- Wigan have won eight and drawn none of their last 11 Premier League matches, a run which includes a home win over Stoke.
- Stoke have won just one of their last 13 Premier League matches (W1 D4 L8).
- Tony Pulis' side have won none of their last 10 Premier League away games (W0 D4 L6).
- The Potters have scored just four goals in their last 10 Premier League away games.
- Only Sunderland (2) have fired in fewer shots on target this season than Stoke (4).
- There have been nine goals scored inside the first 15 minutes of Wigan's last eight Premier League games.
Manchester City v Queens Park Rangers
- Man City won the title in this fixture last season, becoming the first team to ever be losing a Premier League game at 90 minutes and come back to win the match.
- Man City have won their last two home games 3-2 after going ahead, conceding twice and scoring twice more to win.
- City won both league games against QPR last season by a 3-2 scoreline.
- Manchester City have won 28 and lost none of their last 30 Premier League games at the Etihad Stadium. Mark Hughes is one of only two coaches in that period to see his team earn a draw (Fulham in February 2011).
- City have scored in their last 32 matches in a row at the City of Manchester Stadium.
- QPR have picked up just 21 points in 21 Premier League games in 2012.
- After conceding more than once in a game in just one of 15 games in a row, City have shipped two goals in each of their last three Premier League matches, including the last two games on home soil.
- The Hoops have gone 17 Premier League games away from home without a clean sheet and shipped 40 goals in that run.
- The Londoners have taken just three points from the last 42 available on the road in the Premier League.
- Djibril Cisse has scored in four of his last six Premier League away games, including one at the Etihad Stadium.
Liverpool v Arsenal
- There have been seven 90th minute or later goals scored in the last seven Premier League games between Liverpool and Arsenal and five in the last four.
- There have been own goals scored in each of the last three Premier League games between Liverpool and Arsenal at Anfield and one at the Emirates last season.
- In fact, Liverpool v Arsenal at Anfield has seen the joint-most own goals of any fixture in Premier League history (4).
- Liverpool have won just one of their last 10 Premier League games against Arsenal (W1 D6 L3).
- The Gunners are unbeaten in their last five Premier League visits to Anfield (W2 D3) and have come from behind in all those games to secure those results.
- Only Arsenal (19%) have a worse shooting accuracy than Liverpool in the Premier League this season (24%).
- Arsenal have failed to score in their opening two PL games. The longest they have gone without scoring from the start of the season is 224 minutes (last season).
- Arsenal have allowed the joint-fewest shots on target against them this season along with Sunderland who have played just one game.
- Liverpool have picked up just 19 points in 21 Premier League games in 2012.
- Arsenal have won just one of their last seven Premier League matches, but five of the other six games have been draws.
Newcastle United v Aston Villa
- Newcastle have lost just one of their last 11 Premier League home games (W8 D2 L1).
- Aston Villa have won none of their last nine Premier League away matches (W0 D4 L5), a run which started with defeat at St James Park.
- The Magpies have won six and lost just one of their last 11 Premier League home games against Aston Villa.
- The Villans are now on a run of 12 league games without a victory (W0 D5 L7).
- Aston Villa have failed to score in five of their last eight Premier League matches, netting only once in each of the other three games.
- The Villans have failed to score in six of their last eight away matches, including the last four in a row. They have never gone five games in a row away from home without scoring in the Premier League era.
- Only Sunderland (2) have fired in fewer shots on target than Aston Villa in the Premier League this season (4).
- Newcastle have scored 998 goals in Premier League history.
- Since his debut, Newcastle have conceded 1.24 goals per game in games Cheik Tiote has started compared to 1.83 in games without him.
- Since the start of last season, Newcastle have conceded more penalties than any other team (10).
Southampton v Manchester United
- Manchester United have won their last four visits in all competitions to St Mary's.
- Manchester United have only lost a higher proportion of games at Chelsea and Arsenal (40%) than they have at Southampton (38%) in the Premier League (min. 10 matches).
- United have lost three of their last four Premier League away matches.
- The last four Premier League away trips Manchester United have made have ended with a 1-0 scoreline (three defeats and one win).
- Manchester United have allowed their opponents more shots on target against them than any other team in the Premier League this season (13).
- Robin van Persie was sent off in his only appearance in the Premier League at St Mary's.
- Southampton have won 27 of their last 36 league home matches, though 12 of those games were in League One and 23 in the Championship.
- Saints were the top scorers on home soil in the Championship last season, netting 49 goals.
- Manchester United have only drawn two of their last 27 Premier League games (W20 D2 L5).
- Since the start of 2010/11, Man Utd's win % with Wayne Rooney starting in the league is 71% compared to just 55% without him.
This weekend sees four Premier Leaguer games broadcast live. West take on Fulham at Upton Park in the 12:45 kick-off, live on Sky Sports 2, followed up at the Etihad Stadium as Manchester City face QPR, kicking off at 17:30. Super Sunday has two great games back-to-back, starting with Liverpool hosting Arsenal, followed by Southampton's home game against Manchester United.