Premier League Opta Stats - 20-21 August
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Sunderland v Newcastle United
- Sunderland have won just one of their last 13 meetings with Newcastle in the Premier League, drawing five and losing seven.
- Sunderland have failed to keep a clean sheet in any of their last 22 meetings with the Magpies in all competitions.
- Shola Ameobi has netted six times in 10 games against the Black Cats including four in his last four.
- Newcastle have won just one of their last nine Premier League away matches.
- The Magpies have lost just one of their last seven Premier League games, but have drawn five.
- Sunderland have kept just two clean sheets in their last 17 Premier League matches and their last shut out at the Stadium of Light was on New Year's Day.
- Since drawing with Newcastle in January, Sunderland have lost six and won one of their seven Premier League games on home soil and conceding at least two goals in each game.
- Yohan Cabaye made more tackles than any other player in the Premier League's opening weekend.
- In 2011, if Sunderland have conceded in the first half they haven't won (W0 D1 L10) and if they haven't conceded before half-time they have not lost (W6 D2 L0).
- The Black Cats have scored a 90th minute goal in each of their last two Premier League matches against Newcastle.
Arsenal v Liverpool
- Last season's meeting between these two sides saw the two latest goals in last season's whole Premier League, Robin van Persie's 98th minute penalty being cancelled out by Dirk Kuyt's 102nd minute spot-kick equaliser.
- There have been more hat-tricks scored in this fixture than any other in Premier League history.
- Andrey Arshavin has scored five goals from just six shots on target in the Premier League against Liverpool.
- Liverpool have only won one of the last 11 Premier League games against Arsenal and none of the last eight, though six of the last eight have been draws.
- Arsenal are unbeaten in their last 11 Premier League home games against Liverpool.
- Arsenal have only won just two of their last 12 Premier League matches.
- The Gunners have scored just three goals in their last five Premier League home matches.
- Arsenal posted the worst discipline stats for the first weekend, with five yellow cards, one red and a post-match charge for Alex Song.
- Luis Suarez won more fouls than any other player in the Premier League in the opening round of matches (6).
- Robin van Persie has scored 17 goals in his last 16 Premier League starts.
- Martin Atkinson takes charge of this game; he was in charge when these sides met at Anfield last season, sending off Koscielny and Joe Cole.
Aston Villa v Blackburn Rovers
- There have been more draws at Villa Park (113) than at any other team in Premier League history.
- Villa have scored exactly one goal in each of their last four Premier League matches at Villa Park.
- Aston Villa have lost just one of their last nine Premier League matches.
- Blackburn have won just two of their last 15 Premier League games.
- Blackburn have lost 11 of their last 16 Premier League matches on the road, but lost only one of their last four away matches.
- Stephen Warnock made more interceptions (7) than any other player on the opening weekend.
- Darren Bent has scored three goals in his last four Premier League games against Rovers.
- 32% of Darren Bent's Premier League goals over the last two seasons have been scored in the opening 15 minutes of matches.
- There have been five goals scored between the 20th and 22nd minutes in Blackburn's last five games, four of them netted by Rovers.
- Villa conceded the joint-most fouls (19) in the opening round of matches.
Everton v QPR
- There have been 35 goals scored in the eight Premier League meetings between Everton and QPR.
- Only one team has managed to score more than one goal against Everton in their last 12 Premier League matches.
- The Toffees have lost none of their last 11 Premier League games at Goodison Park.
- Two QPR players have scored hat-tricks in just four Premier League visits to Goodison.
- Rangers have won five and lost just two of the eight Premier League games against Everton.
- QPR had the best away record in the Championship last season with 39 points.
- Only two of the nine teams who have previously conceded four or more goals at home on the opening day of a season have gone on to be relegated.
- Everton have had a player sent off in each of their last two Premier League maches.
- Bolton managed just five shots on target against QPR in the R's opening game of the season, but netted four goals.
- QPR had eight of their shots blocked by opposition defenders on the opening weekend, more than any other team.
Swansea City v Wigan Athletic
- Wigan have only lost one of their last seven Premier League games.
- The Latics have only kept two clean sheets in their last 22 Premier League matches.
- Swansea have failed to score in their last three games against Wigan.
- Wigan's last victory away at Swansea came in 1990-91 when they won 6-1, since which they have lost three and drawn one of their four visits.
- The Swans posted the best home record in the Championship last season with 50 points and only three defeats in 23 games.
- Michel Vorm made the most saves of any goalkeeper in the opening matches (11), but still conceded four goals.
- The Welsh side only committed three fouls in the whole match, fewer than any other team on the opening matchday.
- Wigan have been forced into more clearances (48) than any other team in the league so far.
- Victor Moses embarked on more dribbles than any other player in the Premier League on the opening weekend.
- Swansea have allowed their opponents more shots on target against them (15) than any other team.
Chelsea v West Bromwich Albion
- Didier Drogba has scored eight goals in just seven Premier League games against West Brom.
- Nicolas Anelka has scored four goals in six games against the Baggies.
- Chelsea have won all 10 Premier League games against West Brom, conceding just three goals.
- West Brom have failed to score in their last six visits to Stamford Bridge in all competitions.
- West Brom have lost just one of their last six Premier League away games.
- Chelsea have won none of their last four Premier League matches.
- The Londoners have lost just one of their last 12 Premier League games at Stamford Bridge.
- West Brom recouped more points from losing positions than any other team in 2010-11 (27).
- The Blues dropped fewer points from winning positions (6) than any other team in the 2010-11 Premier League.
- West Brom only kept two clean sheets in the league in 2010/11, the lowest ever amount in a single Premier League season.
Norwich City v Stoke City
- Only one of the last 13 meetings between Norwich and Stoke have ended as an away win.
- Three of the last four meetings between Norwich and Stoke at Carrow Road have ended as 1-0 wins.
- The Potters have failed to score in four of their last five Premier League games and the last three in a row.
- Stoke have failed to score in seven of their last nine Premier League road trips.
- Tony Pulis' side have accrued just two points from a possible 30 in their last 10 Premier League away games.
- Stoke made more tackles than any other team on the opening Premier League weekend.
- Stoke scored 30% of their goals in the final 15 minutes of matches in 2010-11, a league-high proportion in that period of the game.
- The Potters scored only one goal in the opening 15 minutes of games in 2010-11, a league low.
- Stoke have only won three of their last 14 Premier League matches.
- Norwich have never won away from home against another team called City in the Premier League (W0 D4 L5)
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Fulham
- In the three previous seasons where they have met, one of the games between Wolves and Fulham has ended as a 2-1 home win, the other as a draw.
- Wolves have won just one of their last five Premier League games at Molineux, including a 1-1 draw with Fulham.
- After going on a run of just one away win in 35 Premier League matches, Fulham have won their last two Premier League road trips without conceding.
- Fulham have lost only one of their last seven Premier League matches.
- Fulham conceded the highest percentage of first-half goals (63%) in the 2010-11 Premier League.
- The Whites conceded just 23% of their goals from set pieces in 2010-11, the lowest percentage in the top flight.
- There has been a goal in the 22nd minute in each of the last three Premier League games involving Wolves.
- Wolves have gone nine games without a clean sheet.
- Wanderers have won three of their last four Premier League matches.
- Since the start of February Fulham have kept a clean sheet if they haven't conceded a goal in the first half.
Bolton Wanderers v Manchester City
- City have won one of their last six league trips to the Reebok, failing to score in four of those games, but their victory came on the final day of last season.
- Bolton have failed to score in five of their last seven Premier League games against Man City.
- The Trotters haven't lost three Premier League home games in a row since December 2004.
- City have lost five of their last eight Premier League away matches, but did win last time out away at Bolton.
- Man City have scored just seven goals in nine Premier League away games in 2011.
- City fired in more shots on target (15) than any other team on the opening weekend of the season.
- Bolton posted the best chance conversion rate on the opening weekend, scoring with 36% of their shots at goal.
- Yaya Toure fired in more shots on target than any other player on the opening matchday.
- Bolton have conceded within five minutes either side of half-time in five of their last seven Premier League matches and scored just before half-time in one of the other two.
- There have been red cards in Bolton's last two games, one of which was for the Trotters against City on the final weekend of last season.
Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur
- Wayne Rooney has scored five goals in seven Premier League games for Manchester United against Tottenham.
- United are unbeaten in their last 20 Premier League matches against Tottenham, winning 15.
- Spurs' last league win at Old Trafford came in December 1989 (1-0).
- Tottenham's 20 game winless run against United is their second longest run without a victory against one team in top flight history, after a run of 32 winless games against Chelsea which ended in 2006.
- Man Utd managed just one shot on target against West Brom last week, but thanks to an own goal won the game 2-1.
- Man Utd have gone five Premier League games without a clean sheet.
- The Red Devils won 18 and drew one of 19 Premier League games last season, earning 55 out of a possible 57 points at Old Trafford.
- All four of Jermain Defoe's Premier League goals last season were netted from outside the box.
- Excluding penalties, Tottenham Hotspur conceded the lowest percentage of goals from set pieces in the 2010-11 Premier League (21%).
- Man Utd came back to win only 3 of 11 Premier League games where they were trailing last term (v West Ham and v Blackpool twice).