Spanish La Liga Opta Facts - 12-13 September
Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading supplier of sports performance data, bring you Opta Facts, the key statistics you'll need to make an informed choice with your football betting.
Xerez v Athletic
- Athletic won just three games away from home in the 2008/09 season.
- In their last six league games the Basques have never scored more than one goal.
- One of Xerez's four home defeats in the Segunda Division last season was against Basque Athletic rivals Real Sociedad, 1-3.
- The team from Southern Spain have already received two red cards after just one game this season.
- Athletic's first away game of last season was in the South too, against Malaga, and the teams drew 0-0, the Basque side's only goalless draw of the season.
Deportivo v Malaga
- Deportivo have lost just one match in the last 10 they have played at the Riazor.
- Malaga have never won at La Coruna in the top division, losing 13 defeats and drawing three.
- In their last five visits to Galicia, Malaga have scored just one goal.
- Two of Malaga's three goals against Atletico on the opening day came from set pieces.
- Malaga won four and lost four of their last eight away games in 2008-09, conceding 17 goals in the process.
Espanyol v Real Madrid
- The only penalty on the first match day of the season was taken, and scored, by Ronaldo.
- Espanyol have drawn just once in their last 10 league matches.
- The Catalans have won their last six home matches conceding just one goal in the process.
- The last home defeat suffered by Espanyol was against Real Madrid last February, 0-2.
- Since 2000 these two sides have shared the points in Barcelona just once, 2-2 in 2003.
- Real Madrid's biggest win in this fixture in Barcelona was 5-1 in 1991.
Villarreal v Mallorca
- Villarreal have shared the points at the Madrigal just once in 2009, 1-1 against Osasuna, the same team they drew against last week away from home 1-1.
- In their last five visits to the Madrigal, Mallorca have collected just one point.
- The last time Mallorca won this fixture was in December 2003 when they won 2-0 in Villarreal, since then they have drawn three and lost eight.
- Mallorca kept just three clean sheets away from home last term.
- The team from the Balearic Islands have scored in each of their last eight away games in the league.
Tenerife v Osasuna
- No other team in the second division scored more goals at home than Tenerife last season, 49.
- Osasuna have never won at Tenerife in the top division, five defeats and two draws.
- These two teams have drawn 0-0 just once in the top flight.
- Osasuna have won twice in their last 22 league away matches, against Atletico and Barcelona.
- Osasuna closed last season with the highest number of draws and started the new season in the same fashion, 1-1.
Sevilla v Zaragoza
- Last season Zaragoza had the joint best attack in the Segunda Division (with Hercules) away from home, 33 goals in 21 games.
- All seven of Zaragoza's wins in Sevilla have been by a one goal margin, the last was in March 2005 (1-0).
- Sevilla have netted eight goals in their last two league home fixtures in the top division.
- Sevilla have shared the points at home just twice in their last 26 league matches.
- Between February 2007 and May 2008 Zaragoza won just once away from home, against Almeria 1-0 in October 2007.
Valladolid v Valencia
- Valencia have lost nine of their last 13 league games away from home.
- Valladolid have not won in the league since 15th March (1-0 against Getafe).
- The team from Castilla & Leon have not scored in eight of their last 11 league fixtures.
- In their last seven home games Valladolid have won once and scored a total of three goals.
Sporting v Almeria
- Sporting conceded three headed goals following corners on the opening day of the season.
- In 2009 Sporting have kept just one clean sheet (1-0 v Sevilla at home).
- Sporting have won all three top division home encounters with Almeria.
- Almeria have not scored in their last four league matches.
- Last season Almeria won their first away game of the season, then collected just six points in the remaining 18 (managing only one more win).
- Almeria have not scored in five of their last six league away fixtures.
Getafe v Barcelona
- Barcelona finished last season with an average of 2.76 goals scored per game, they netted three in their opening game this term.
- The Catalans scored three headers following as many corners against Sporting.
- Getafe have beaten Barcelona just once in the top division, 2-0 at home in November 2007.
- In the last six league encounters between these two sides Barcelona have never scored more than one goal.
- Barcelona have won just one of their last four league away fixtures but it was the 6-2 demolition of arch rivals Real Madrid at the Bernabeu.
Atletico v Racing
- Atlético conceded the most goals from corners last season in the league,10, and they have already conceded one in their first game of this season against Malaga.
- The 1-4 defeat on the first day of the season was Racing's heaviest at home in the top flight.
- Before this season, Atletico had not suffered a three goal defeat on the opening day of the season since they lost 1-4 in Gijon in 1978.
- Atletico have won seven of their last eight league fixtures at the Calderon.
- In their last two visits to the Calderon, Racing have shipped eight goals.
- In the history of La Liga, Racing have won this game away from home just three times, '86, '94 and 2002, always by a one goal margin.