Toffees out to steal sweet revenge to break Oldham hearts - Betting Preview
The romance of this season's FA Cup continues as Oldham's trip to Everton epitomises the worlds oldest and most famous domestic cup competition.
Everton (1/6) will look to set up a quarter-final tie with Wigan as they host Oldham (16/1, draw 11/2) in this fifth round replay. The Premier League side were 30 seconds away from winning the original tie until Matt Smith (12/1 to score first, 5/1 anytime) added to his two goals in the previous round against Liverpool by slotting home the equaliser.
You would have to think that with Everton's record of only losing once at Goodison Park this season though, there shouldn't be any need for late dramas this time. David Moyes paid the utmost respect to caretaker Latics' manager Tony Philliskirk in the first match when he named his full strength team, but after going three matches without a win the hosts might be tempted to rotate a bit this time if they're still to have aspirations of a top four spot.
That could mean the likes of Apostolos Vellios (9/2) and Kevin Mirallas (9/2) get a run out and Nikica Jelavic (3/1) moves down to the bench, the Croatian is not in form so a midweek off might not be a bad thing. After coming in for criticism for his dismal performance against Norwich, you can also expect Steven Naismith to miss out.
Since the first leg of this tie, Oldham have remained unbeaten, knocking off Stevenage and Portsmouth. With a strong record at Goodison in this tournament, having topped Everton in their past two away ties at a top flight venue, the Latics should enter the tie fearless, knowing there is nothing to lose.
Oldham are known for starting quick off the blocks, and are 11/1 to net between the 1st and 15th minute, whilst Everton are 13/2 to come from behind and win.
Coverage of this Fifth Round Replay can be found on ITV1, kicking off at 19:45, and we continue to offer over 180 pre match and in-play markets covering goal scorers, five minute markets, and much more, so stay with William Hill - the Home of Betting.
Match betting: Everton 1/6, Draw 11/2, Oldham 16/1
Headline Offers: Marouane Fellaini to score and Everton to win 6/5; Jose Baxter to score and Oldham to win 40/1
Best Bet: Oldham +2 goals 8/5
Worth a Punt:Over 4.5 goals 9/4; Everton to win in Extra Time 9/1
- Everton are now without a win in six FA Cup games against Oldham Athletic (D3 L3) and have not eliminated the Latics from the competition since February 1912.
- The Toffees are looking to make the sixth round for the 28th time. Only Arsenal (36), Man Utd (33) and Tottenham (29) have reached the round more than 28 times.
- Oldham, meanwhile, have only made the sixth round twice before (1990 and 1994); on both of those occasions they were ultimately eliminated by Manchester United in the semi-finals.
- Having defeated Liverpool in the fourth round, Oldham are the first team to face both Merseyside giants in successive FA Cup ties since Tottenham Hotspur in 1995.
- Matt Smith has scored three goals in his last two FA Cup appearances for Oldham, with those goals coming against Liverpool and Everton.
- The Latics had more shots on target (five) than Everton (four) in the original tie.
- Everton have only won three of their last seven home games in the FA Cup, drawing two and losing two.
- David Moyes' side have been eliminated from the FA Cup on home soil by a lower league team in two of the last five seasons, with Oldham themselves one of the teams to win at Goodison Park (2008, Round Three).
- Indeed, Oldham's last two away wins against top-flight sides in the FA Cup have both come at Goodison Park, although the victory prior to that 2008 win came way back in March 1913.
- Excluding games when they were in the top-flight themselves, Oldham have kept just one clean sheet in 17 away FA Cup games against sides from the first tier, and that was in the 1-0 win at Everton in 2008. In the other 16, they have conceded a total of 58 goals (3.6 per game).