Golden boy Allenby hopes for third jacket in Melbourne
Golden Jacket winner in 2003 & 2005, Robert Allenby heads the field going into the 30th Sportsbet Masters this week in Melbourne.
$5.7 million pounds over this season's US Tour has seen Allenby, who is 7/1 in the betting for victory in Melbourne, finish a solid 11th on the Money List.
Stuart Appleby, second favourite in the betting at 9/1 - has mainly been commenting on the IMG's decision to promote John Daly's appearance at this weeks Australian event. "I'm not quite sure how that works. I guess he's a walking train wreck and unfortunately, people turn their heads to watch the train wreck."
Tour chairman Peter Senior defended the American - who is being paid an appearance fee: "John's one of those guys who can perform or not perform, as a draw card, I think he's great in any field. I wouldn't say he's a close friend, but I've spent quite a bit of time with John, and people don't realise, he's just a normal, average guy. Unfortunately he gets into trouble now and then, but you can't help but like the guy."
The winner is to receive $270,000 from the total prize pool of $1.5 million in this, the 30th anniversary of the Australian Masters.
The ones to watch:
- Robert Allenby - 7/1 fav : Won here in 2003 & 2005. Favourite in the betting
- Stuart Appleby - 9/1 2f : Looking for his first Masters Golden jacket
- Daniel Chopra - 33/1 : Lost here last year in a sudden-death play-off against Aaron Baddeley
- John Daly - 33/1 : Had a good closing round of 62 last week in Hong Kong, could be worth some interest
- Peter Senior - 100/1: Contested the inaugural Masters in 1979 and has not missed one since