Greatest show on earth - The Breeders' Cup
Every November one of the greatest horse racing festival's in the world gets underway in the United States of America in the shape of the Breeders' Cup Festival.
Every year horses from all over the world gather to have a crack at one of the high quality races with monumental amounts of prize money on offer, all culminating on the Saturday with the Breeders' Cup Classic, a race won last year by Frankie Dettori aboard Raven's Pass and this year Aidan O'Brien's Rip Van Winkle currently holds favouritism at 6/4.
The races are mainly made up of Group 1 affairs which were formerly spread over one day and having started in 1984, until 2006 that was the case but it has now expanded to two days.
This esteemed meeting is held at race tracks all over America with the exception of 1996 when it was held at Woodbine Racetrack in Canada and will this year be held at Santa Anita Racecourse in Arcadia, California.
The second day of the meeting is the second richest day of racing in the world, behind only Dubai World Cup Night and always attracts vast crowds to come and see the greatest horses around.
In each of the 14 Breeders' Cup Championship races with the exception of the Dirt Mile, Juvenile Fillies Turf and Juvenile Turf, only 14 runners are allowed to take their place while for the latter three, just 12 line up.
A list of the races is featured below:
- $500,000 Breeders' Cup Marathon
- $1 million Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf
- $1 million Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint (gr. I)
- $2 million Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I)
- $2 million Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT)
- $2 million Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic (gr. I)
- $1 million Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf (gr. IIT)
- $1 million Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I)
- $1 million Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint
- $2 million Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I)
- $2 million Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I)
- $2 million Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT)
- $3 million Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT)
- $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I)
Amongst the horses making the trip across the pond to compete with America's best are Delegator and Goldikova (Breeders' Cup Mile), Conduit and Dar Re Mi (Breeders' Cup Turf), Mastercraftsman (Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile), Midday (Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf) and Fleeting Spirit (Breeders' Cup Sprint) to name just a few of the superstars we have been watching all season.
This should be an absolute treat for racing fans and punters all over the world and is an event not to be missed with William Hill offering ante-post odds on every single race.