Domination for Vettel in Valencia
The change in the engine mapping didn't stop Red Bull dominating qualifying in Valencia as Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber locked out the front row of the grid with Lewis Hamilton third ahead of Fernando Alonso.
Now installed as odds-on 4/6 favourite, the young German remained untouchable in the final part of qualifying in Valencia, four-tenths of a second quicker than the McLaren drivers.
The Red Bulls along with McLaren and Ferrari all did two runs in Q3, though few improved with their second efforts - Fernando Alonso (17/2), Lewis Hamilton (3/1 2nd favourite) and Vettel all aborted their second laps.
Mark Webber did manage to improve his time and jumped up to take second on the grid alongside his Red Bull team mate, the Aussie now priced as 7/1 third favourite (1/3 odds a place 1,2).
Jenson Button, who forced the Red Bull's ace Vettel into a final-lap error at the last meeting in Montreal, was left frustrated with qualifying for the European Grand Prix after only managing sixth on the grid on Saturday.
"They are so fast and Seb is doing such a good job, if we don't force them into mistakes it's going to be difficult to beat them this year."
Vettel has claimed five of the first seven races to dominate the Drivers Championship standings with a 60-point lead.
Nick Heidfeld (150/1) and Adrian Sutil (500/1) didn't set times at all in the final qualification peroid. In a tyre-saving manouver, both drivers opted to stay in the garage and will start Sunday's European Grand Prix on row five.
European Grand Prix - Valencia's top ten.
1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1'36.975 (4/6)
2 Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1'37.163 (7/1)
3 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1'37.380 (3/1)
4 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1'37.454 (17/2)
5 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1'37.535 (40/1)
6 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1'37.645 (16/1)
7 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1'38.231 (80/1)
8 Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1'38.240 (100/1)
9 Nick Heidfeld Renault No time (150/1)
10 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes No time (500/1)
(1/3 odds a place 1,2)
- European Grand Prix- Race Winner
- European Grand Prix- Fav vs Field
- European Grand Prix- Podium Finish
- European Grand Prix- Top 6 Finish
- European Grand Prix - Dual Forecast
- European Grand Prix - Winning Nationality
- European Grand Prix- Points Finish
- European Grand Prix- Winning Margin
- European Grand Prix - Winning Constructor - Race
- European Grand Prix - Fastest Lap
- European Grand Prix - Pole Fastest Lap & Race Winner
- European Grand Prix - First Retirement Of Race
- European Grand Prix - First Constructor Retirement
- European Grand Prix - Number Of Classified Finishers
- European Grand Prix- Lap 1 Retirements