Moto GP Champion Casey Stoner wins in Valencia
Ducati's Casey Stoner won the 18th and final round of the 2008 MotoGP World Championship, in the hot and sunny conditions at Valencia, as Valentino Rossi breaks season point’s record.
Dani Pedrosa started with pace and at the first corner and took the lead from Stoner, but this was the only occasion the Spaniard would see P1 as Stoner dived through turn two to retake the lead and remain unchallenged for the remainder of the race.
Through the early stages of this season's closing race, Pedrosa was able to stay with Stoner and the two advanced with a slight breakaway from Nicky Hayden who was in third, but as the race progressed the champion's Ducati was pulling away unchallenged.
Valentino Rossi clinched third place from tenth on the grid after a poor qualification. The Italian's 16th podium finish in 18 saw him achieve 373 points in the season, breaking the previous best of 367 points.
Valencia Race Results:
Pos Rider Bike Time
1. Casey Stoner Ducati (B) 46:46.114
2. Dani Pedrosa Honda (B) + 3.390
3. Valentino Rossi Yamaha (B) + 12.194
4. Andrea Dovizioso Honda (M) + 24.159
5. Nicky Hayden Honda (M) + 26.232
6. Colin Edwards Yamaha ( M) + 32.209
7. Shinya Nakano Honda (B) + 34.571
8. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha (M) + 35.661
9. Loris Capirossi Suzuki (B) + 38.228
10. Alex de Angelis Honda (B) + 47.583
11. James Toseland Yamaha (M) + 52.107
12. Sylvain Guintoli Ducati (B) + 52.350
13. Chris Vermeulen Suzuki (B) + 52.833
14. John Hopkins Kawasaki (B) + 53.227
15. Randy de Puniet Honda (M) + 53.411
16. Marco Melandri Ducati (B) +1:08.387
17. Anthony West Kawasaki (B) +1:11.181
18. Toni Elias Ducati (B) +1:37.055
View our MotoGP Outright betting