Bundesliga Opta-facts-Match Day 18
- Schalke have won only two points from their last six league games (two draws, four losses). Only Hoffenheim are on a worse run (zero). After the last match day of 2012, Schalke's "manager of the century" Huub Stevens was replaced by Jens Keller.
- In all competitions, Schalke are winless in their last seven games (three draws, four losses) and have lost their last three in a row. The team's last victory was against Olympiakos in the Champions League (1-0 H) in November.
- Hannover have lost twelve of their last 14 BL away games (two wins), and have conceded an average of 2.2 goals in those games.
- Jens Keller has won only two of his nine games as a Bundesliga manager (three draws, four losses). He lost his first competitive game as Schalke manager, 1-2 at home to Mainz in the cup just before Christmas.
- Keller's counterpart Mirko Slomka has the best points average of all former Schalke Bundesliga managers, gaining an average of 1.85 points per game in his tenure at Schalke (2004-2008).
- The visit to Schalke will be Slomka's 102nd BL game as Hannover manager, establishing a new club record. The previous record holder Dieter Hecking managed 101 games with Hannover.
- There has never been a scoreless draw in 47 BL meetings between the two teams. Schalke have won almost half of the games (23), while Hannover have recorded 14 victories. They have ten scored draws; including the 2-2 draw earlier this season.
- At Schalke, S04 have dominated Hannover; losing only one of twelve home games in all competitions to their guests from Lower Saxony and winning nine (two draws).
- Schalke midfielder Lewis Holtby will leave the club after this season to join Tottenham. Swiss defender Johan Djourou, on the other hand, has joined Hannover on loan from Arsenal for the remainder of the current season.
- Schalke will have to make do without the suspended Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (second yellow) and Jermaine Jones (red card) in this game. Two more regulars are out injured with both winger Ibrahim Afellay and defender Kyriakos Papadopoulos on the sidelines.
- MD1 of this season saw the first ever meeting of the two Bavarian clubs in the Bundesliga. Bayern won 3-0 at newly-promoted Furth; which is Furth's heaviest loss in the club's BL history.
- One of Bayern's most embarrassing losses in their Cup history was a 0-1 defeat in August 1994 at the hands of third-string TSV Vestenbergsgreuth; a club that merged into SpVgg Greuther Furth two seasons later.
- There has been only one Bundesliga season previously in which 33 points separated the first-place team from the bottom team after the first half of the season (currently they are Bayern and Furth while in 2010/11 they were Dortmund and Gladbach). There has never been a bigger difference at this time of a season since three points are first awarded for a win (1995/96).
- The Munich outfit are unbeaten in their last 13 games in all competitions (nine wins, four draws). In the Bundesliga, they have lost none of their last eight (five wins, three draws), which is currently the longest unbeaten run in the league.
- At home, Bayern have lost only one of their last 19 BL games (1-2 to Leverkusen), winning 15 and drawing three in that time span. However, they drew their last two at home, 1-1 v both Gladbach and Dortmund.
- Bayern's current goal difference of +37 is the best of any team in BL history after 17 games. They have also conceded the joint-fewest goals in the first half of a season (equaling Stuttgart's seven goals conceded from 2003-04).
- Furth are ten points adrift of Wolfsburg in 15th place and safety from relegation. In BL history, no team with nine points or fewer gained from the first 17 games has ever avoided relegation (Furth have nine).
- Bayern have scored the most goals in the first half of this BL season (44), while Furth have scored the fewest (11).
- Furth have been waiting for a league win for 15 games now (six draws, nine losses), currently the longest run of this kind in the league. Their only win of the season came on MD2 at Mainz (1-0).
- Mario Gomez is set to play in his 100th BL game for Bayern. In his 99 previous games, he recorded 66 goals and 9 assists.
- The two teams will meet in the top flight for the 56th time, with Bayer winning 23 of their previous encounters compared to Frankfurt's 20 victories (12 draws).
- Frankfurt's 2-1 win on MD1 was the first loss in all competitions for Bayer's managing duo of Sascha Lewandowski and Sami Hyypiä. Lately, they have been unbeaten in seven games in all competitions (five wins, two draws).
- Leverkusen are unbeaten at home in all competitions under Lewandowski and Hyypiä, recording 10 wins and four draws.
- None of the previous 55 BL encounters between these two teams has ended scoreless. Bayer have failed to score in only one of their 27 home games v Eintracht (0-2 in March 2008).
- Leverkusen have won seven of their last nine BL games (two losses). They have gained the most points of all teams in that run (21).
- Bayer have kept a clean sheet in each of their last five home games in all competitions. They managed this many only once before since their promotion to the top flight in 1979; from August to October 1986.
- Frankfurt won 2-0 at Wolfsburg in their last league game before Christmas, ending a run of five winless league games on the road (one draw, four losses).
- Bayer's Stefan Kießling (twelve goals) leads Frankfurt's Alexander Meier (eleven) at the top of the current Bundesliga goal scoring list. Kießling has scored the first goal of a game seven times already this season; more than any other player. Meier is joint second with four.
- Frankfurt's Bastian Oczipka joined Eintracht from Leverkusen last summer. The defender is the league's joint-highest assist-maker this season with seven (with three other players).
- Eintracht captain Pirmin Schwegler wore a Bayer jersey from 2006 to 2009 before joining his current club. He made just 46 BL appearances for Leverkusen (0 goals).
- Frankfurt 'keeper Kevin Trapp is set to appear in his 50th BL game. In the first half of the season, he thwarted the joint-most big chances among all BL goalkeepers (12; level with Dusseldorf's Giefer and Hannover's Zieler).
- Vedad Ibisevic will easily remember the two teams first encounter this season on MD1, having missed a penalty and the rebound two minutes from time.
- Dutchman Bas Dost scored the winner in that game (1-0) shortly before the final whistle in his first Bundesliga game.
- Wolfsburg have won their last five BL home games v Stuttgart.
- The Wolves are the only team in the league to concede at least one goal in each of their last 14 games. They have also failed to keep a clean sheet in each of their last 15 home games; a club record and also currently a league high.
Only in 2005-06 did Wolfsburg gain fewer points from their first 17 games of a BL season (18) than they have gained this season (19). They have always finished 15th in the table when recording 20 points or fewer in the first half of the season.
- Stuttgart were 2012's fourth best Bundesliga team with a total of 56 points gained over the year.
- Stuttgart have lost their last away games to start the second half of the season, losing 1-3 and 1-4 at Schalke and 1-4 at Nurnberg.
- This season's second worst home team (only one win and six points gained from eight home games) will host this season's third best away team (14 points, only Bayern and Dortmund have gained more).
- Wolfsburg are the only team in the league yet to drop a point after taking the lead (five games), while Stuttgart have lost the joint-most following a lead (11, like Gladbach). However, the Wolves have only taken the lead once at home, a league low.
- 24 of Wolfsburg's 26 goals in all competitions this season have been scored by new or returning players Dost (10), Diego (6), Olic (5), Naldo (2) and Kjaer (1).
- Suspensions for both sides: Wolfsburg will have to go without Naldo (fifth yellow card) and Josue (red card), while Stuttgart cannot field Vedad Ibisevic (yellow) and Gotoku Sakai (red).
- In the winter break, Dieter Hecking has replaced Wolfsburg caretaker manager Lorenz-Gunther Kostner, who resumed his previous job of coaching the reserves. Hecking is the team's seventh manager since their Championship title win in 2009.
- In all competitions Hoffenheim and Gladbach meet for the 13th time. Hoffenheim have won seven matches, losing only twice (three draws).
- Gladbach have never won at Hoffenheim. They have only managed to claim one point in four duels there; 2-2 in February 2010.
- Borussia average 0.9 points per game against Hoffenheim. Gladbach only have a lower average against Augsburg (0.7).
- Hoffenheim look back at the worst first half of a Bundesliga campaign in the history of the club. They never had such a low amount of points (12) and wins (three).
- Never before have Hoffenheim conceded as many goals (41) in the first half of a Bundesliga season. Gladbach 2010/11 (47) and Kaiserslautern 2005/06 (44) are the only teams to concede more in the first halves of Bundesliga seasons of this millennium.
- For the second time in the history of the club, Hoffenheim have lost six Bundesliga matches in a row (first time was from April until September 2012). A further loss would be a new negative record for them.
- Gladbach are undefeated in the last seven competitive games (four wins, three draws). The last loss was a 1-2 defeat at home against VfB Stuttgart (November 17).
- Borussia have scored in their last nine Bundesliga matches.
- Hoffenheim have not kept a clean sheet in any of their last 11 games.
- Marco Kurz is the third manager to take charge of Hoffenheim this season, following Markus Babbel and caretaker manager Frank Kramer. Kurz won his debut game at both of his former clubs.
- Peniel Mlapa returns to Hoffenheim for the first time since leaving his former club. He scored five goals in 54 Bundesliga games for Hoffenheim.
- Tim Wiese saved only 50% of the shots on his goal in the opening half of the season. Koen Casteels was barely much better with a 53.8% save percentage. Both Hoffenheim keepers are the worst in the Bundesliga 2012/13 (among the keepers to have played at least 30% of games).
- Both teams will meet again at Mainz on February 26 in the quarter final of DFB-Pokal.
- Mainz are undefeated in their last four Bundesliga duels with Freiburg (two wins, two draws). The last triumph over Freiburg was in November 2010 (1-0 at home).
- Mainz have never lost a Bundesliga match at home against Freiburg (three wins, one draw).
- Freiburg have never scored more than once in a Bundesliga game against Mainz (seven in nine games). On average they have scored only 0.78 goals per game against Mainz; only their rate against Dusseldorf is lower (0.60).
- Mainz's highest Bundesliga win in their history came against Freiburg in 2004/05; when they won 5-0.
- Marco Caligiuri of Mainz may face-off with his younger brother Daniel who plays for Freiburg. Marco have won two of their Bundesliga duels; with Daniel winning the other.
- Thomas Tuchel has never lost a managerial duel against Christian Streich in the Bundesliga or the youth Bundesliga (three wins, one draw).
- Mainz has won three of their last four Bundesliga games (losing 0-2 at Gladbach); although they haven't kept a clean sheet in their last eight matches.
- Mainz have won six of their last seven games at home (losing 1-2 against Dortmund).
- Freiburg have won 15 points from their last eight Bundesliga matches. Only Bayern and Leverkusen have won more. Freiburg have picked up 11 points from their last five Bundesliga games on the road (three wins, two draws).
- Christian Streich has been manager of Freiburg's Bundesliga team since December 29th 2011. Freiburg managed 53 points in the 34 Bundesliga matches with Streich in 2012; their best ever calendar year performance in the Bundesliga.
- Mainz's Jan Kirchhoff will be join Bayern Munich in the summer. He will miss this match due to suspension (fifth yellow card) as will Freiburg's Jan Rosenthal (second yellow card).
- Nicolai Muller had a hand in five of the last eight competitive goals scored by Mainz (four goals, one assist). Jonathan Schmid had a hand in four of the last six competitive goals scored for Freiburg (three goals, one assist). Both scored the winning-goal for their clubs in the round of last 16 in the DFB-Pokal.
- Bremen are the Bundesliga team that Dortmund have lost most games against (39). However, Borussia have won five of their last six duels against Werder (losing once).
- Dortmund haven't lost a Bundesliga match by more than one goal since the 0-2 defeat at Bremen in May 2011. Borussia were already champions when they met.
- Dortmund have lost only one of their last 15 competitive games (10 wins, four draws): 2-3 against Wolfsburg (matchday 16).
In the last eight seasons Dortmund have won the first Bundesliga game of the year six times, drawing twice. The last loss was a 0-1 against Schalke in January 2004.
- With Klopp in charge, Dortmund have never conceded as many goals in the first half of a Bundesliga season as they in 2012/13 (20).
Dortmund haven't kept a clean sheet for seven Bundesliga matches; since the 0-0 against Stuttgart in the beginning of November. The worst run with Klopp at Borussia is eight games without clean sheet (2010).
- Bremen failed to score in just one of their last 23 Bundesliga matches (0-2 against Bayern).
- Dortmund have failed to score in just one of their last 26 Bundesliga matches (0-0 against Stuttgart).
Werder have won none of their last eight Bundesliga games without Arnautovic playing (three draws, five losses, seven goals scored, 19 goals conceded). The Austrian is suspended for the clash with Borussia (fifth yellow card).
Mario Gotze had a hand in 12 goals (seven goals, five assists) in his last eight competitive games for Dortmund. He was the only Bundesliga player to score five times in December (playing only four games).
- No Bundesliga player was involved in more goals in 2012 than Marco Reus (14 goals, 14 assists), level with Leverkusen's Kießling (25 goals, 3 assists).
- Robert Lewandowski has had a hand in 23 goals in his 26 competitive games this season (16 goals, 7 assists).
- Nurnberg only lost more Bundesliga matches against Bayern (34) than against Hamburg (32). Nurnberg have conceded more Bundesliga goals against Hamburg (121) than any other team.
- Nurnberg only won one of their last five Bundesliga home matches against HSV (two draws, two losses). They won 2-0 in January 2011.
- Nurnberg lost only one of their last five Bundesliga duels with Hamburg (two wins, two draws).
- Games featuring HSV and Nurnberg this season have produced the joint-lowest amount of goals (3; level with Furth).
- Nurnberg is undefeated at home in five games (three wins, two draws). They have conceded only three goals in this time.
- Hamburg are without a win in four away games (two draws, two losses), scoring only one single goal.
- In the last six years Hamburg have only lost one of their opening games of the year (three wins, two draws, 1-5 against Dortmund last year).
- Hamburg's Dennis Diekmeier played for Nurnberg from January 2009 until summer 2010, helping to promote them from BL2 to the Bundesliga, playing 30 times in the top flight.
- Michael Wiesinger will sit on the bench of Nurnberg for the first time in Bundesliga. He follows Dieter Hecking, who is new manager of Wolfsburg. The last three managers of Nurnberg always lost their first game.
- Wiesinger and Fink were teammates at Bayern Munich from 1999-2001, winning the Champions League (2001), the German championship (2000, 2001) and the DFB-Pokal (2000).
- In summer 2008 Ingolstadt's manager Fink chose Wiesinger as manager for the reserve team. He followed Fink as caretaker manager of the first team after Fink left.
- In the first encounter this season Fortuna made their BL comeback after 15 years and won 2-0. Substiture Dani Sahin scored both goals.
- Augsburg have never won a game at Dusseldorf (2009/10 1-1, 2010/11 0-1, both games in BL2).
- Dusseldorf have been waiting for a win at the start of the second half of the season for seven BL games (D3, L 4). The last time they did was in February 1985, a 3-2 victory vs Leverkusen.
- Fortuna Dusseldorf kept a clean sheet in seven of their 17 BL games in the first half of the season and in two of their last three BL games. The other promoted teams, Furth and Frankfurt, have kept just two clean sheets each.
Dusseldorf have won their last three BL home games. In contrast Augsburg have only won one of their last 20 BL away games (D8, L11).
Augsburg have collected nine points in the first half of the season. In BL history all nine teams that collected nine or less points in their first 17 BL games relegated.
Fortuna Dusseldorf are currently in 13th place in the table. They are 12 points ahead of 17th placed Augsburg. Since the introduction of the three points for a win rule in 1995/96, the distance between the 13th and the 17th place has never been so big.
- Dusseldorf (18) and Augsburg (17) have created the fewest big chances this season.
Axel Bellinghausen and Nando Rafael wore a Augsburg jersey from summer 2009 to summer 2012. Thorsten Oehrl played for Dusseldorf in the second half of the season in 2009/10.
- Stefan Reuter is the new manager of FC Augsburg and will take charge of a BL game for Augsburg. He had 69 caps for the German national team and has the upper hand in his 11 BL encounters with Dusseldorf (W6, D2, L3).
Both teams have signed new players in winter: Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland) and Dong-Won Ji (FC Sunderland) are new at Augsburg. Genki Omae (Shimizu S-Pulse) and Mathis Bolly (Lillestrom SK) are new at Dusseldorf.