Sir Anthony McCoy's Blog: 30th December
Sir AP McCoy’s 2017 Racing Guide
In his latest blog for William Hill, Sir Anthony McCoy makes his predictions for the year ahead, including five to follow in 2017...
“Looking ahead to 2017, I think Aidan O’Brien has a good chance of winning all five English Classics. It seems more likely he could achieve a Classic clean sweep than beat Bobby Frankel’s record of 25 Group/Grade 1 wins in a calendar year. He’d need a phenomenal amount of luck to break that mark, but it’s not impossible and he probably has a stronger hand in terms of older horses this year, even with Found being retired.
With the likes of Minding staying in training, she’ll probably win Aidan a fair number of Group 1s and he’s also got Highland Reel who can go around the globe and win big international races"
"In terms of the Classics, Rhododendron must have a big chance in the fillies’ Classics and of course Aidan’s got Churchill for the colts races so you’re perhaps looking at something for him to win the St Leger with. I think he’s got a really good chance of winning all the Classics this season.”
William Hill Odds
Aidan O’Brien – To Train 26 or more Group 1/Grade 1 Winners in 2017 (beating Bobby Frankel’s record): 14/1
Aidan O’Brien To Train Winner Of All 5 English Classics: 33/1
“In terms of the National Hunt season, it will either be Willie Mullins or Gordon Elliott for Irish Champion trainer. There’s no doubt that the removal of the Gigginstown horses from Willie has strengthened Gordon’s chances, but I’m not so sure it’s weakened Willie enough to topple him. Gordon may have won the Lexus, but I still think Willie will be Irish Champion trainer again in 2017.”
William Hill Odds
Irish Trainers’ Championship: 8/11 Willie Mullins, EVENS Gordon Elliott
Sir AP McCoy’s Five Horses To Follow In 2017
1) Douvan – he is probably the most exciting chaser in training and he looks a banker for the Queen Mother Champion Chase
2) Landofhopeandglory – three from four over hurdles so far and he could well be a Grade 1 winner in 2017
3) Kotkikova – JP McManus brought her over from France and she desperately needed the run at Leopardstown over Christmas. I am not giving up hope that she could come good in 2017
4) Minding – she is an exceptional filly and I’ll be following her in every race she runs this year
5) Churchill – he’s favourite for the Guineas and the Derby and the way he won the Dewhurst suggests he could be destined for Classic glory
Sir AP McCoy’s Five Favourites
1) Favourite current jockey – Ryan Moore. He rarely makes a mistake in the saddle, he’s ice cold and really in a class of his own at the moment.
2) Favourite current horse – Minding. She’s a multiple Group 1 winner and I think she could be even better this year
3) Favourite racing memory – It has to be when I won the Grand National on Don’t Push It in 2010. To win the race was a dream come true and all the more special because it took me so many years to make it a reality
4) Favourite sports person – Tiger Woods. He’s the best golfer the world has ever seen and I think he could still come back and win another Major.
5) Favourite sporting moment – Arsenal becoming ‘Invincibles’ in 2004. I’m a big fan of the team and it was such a historic season
Wishing you a very Happy New Year
Sir Anthony McCoy