With the FA Cup first round getting under way across the weekend, with Dulwich Hamlet taking on Carlisle United on Friday night, we’ve taken a look at some of the competition’s biggest giant-killings from the 21st century. 

Leicester City 1-2 Wycombe Wanderers (2001)

Premier League side Leicester City succumbing to Second Division (known today as League One) outfit Wycombe Wanderers at home was a huge giant-killing in itself. But what makes this result really stand out is the story of Roy Essandoh.

With Lawrie Sanchez’s Wycombe side suffering an injury crisis in attack, they were forced into posting an advert on Ceefax less than a week before the quarter-final tie with the Foxes. Essandoh answered the call and was handed just a two-week contract. Fast forward a few days, and the unknown 25-year-old had come off the bench to net a last-minute winner to send Wycombe into the semi-finals.

Oldham 3-2 Liverpool (2013)

Liverpool rocked up at a wet and windy Boundary Park to take on League One side Oldham with a team including Luis Suarez, Steven Gerrard, Raheem Sterling and Daniel Sturridge to name a few, and having beaten their opponents in the same competition the previous season 5-1.

Many expected a similar result this time around in the fourth-round tie, but a double from Matt Smith – who had given up professional football just a few years earlier to gain a university degree after being released by Cheltenham – and a third from Reece Wabara saw Paul Dickov’s side produce a seismic shock to edge out the seven-time winners.

Chelsea 2-4 Bradford (2015)

When it comes to combining an epic giant-killing with a stunning comeback, few can rival Bradford’s efforts in their fourth-round tie at Chelsea in 2015. With Gary Cahill and Ramires firing the Premier League leaders into a 2-0 lead inside 38 minutes, their passage into the next round seemed to be all but secured against the League One side.

However, Bradford pulled one back through Jon Stead before half-time before bagging three goals inside 15 minutes through Filipe Morais, Andy Halliday and Mark Yeates to shock Stamford Bridge and book their place in the last-16.

Burnley 0-1 Lincoln City (2017)

Lincoln City completed a giant-killing double act with their fifth-round victory over Burnley at Turf Moor in 2017. If the National League club defeating Premier League side Burnley wasn’t enough, they also became the first non-league side in 103 years to reach the FA Cup quarter-finals.

Sean Raggett was the hero, with his late header securing a famous victory and sending Lincoln into the quarter-finals for the first time in their 133-year history.

Wigan Athletic 1-0 Manchester City (2018)

Manchester City came into this fifth-round tie against League One side Wigan Athletic with a 16-point lead at the top of the Premier League, boasting a record of just two defeats in 41 matches, having scored nine goals in their previous two games and with a historic Quadruple in their sights.

90 minutes later, however, and Wigan had managed the unthinkable against Pep Guardiola’s side, with Will Grigg slotting home in the 79th minute at the DW Stadium after Fabian Delph had earlier been sent off in the first half. City didn’t take the result too well, with Sergio Aguero involved in an altercation with one of the many Wigan fans who invaded the pitch at the full-time whistle to celebrate.

Check out all the latest football betting odds at William Hill.