By William Hill
Last Updated: 7th January 2020
Huddersfield City will host the reigning champions, Manchester City, this weekend without David Wagner. The German was said to have left the club ‘by mutual consent’ after having managed the team for over four years. His former side will have to graft if they are to prove his tenure and work at the club was effective.
Huddersfield vs Man City: odds and predictions
Pep Guardiola’s side are betting as 3/20 favourites in our Man City vs Huddersfield predictions and betting tips, while the Terriers are tipped as 18/1 underdogs, and the odds about a draw forecast at 7/1.
The Terrier’s chances of halting the City barrage doesn’t look too good, considering that Pep’s boys shipped six goals past them last year. Combine this with the fact that their opponents are fresh from a 3-0 romping of Wolves means that Huddersfield could be swept aside this Sunday on home turf.
The likes of Bernardo Silva and Riyad Mahrez have been prolific in recent games, but Gabriel Jesus’s double against Wolves last weekend proves that he is just as capable as Sergio Aguero in dismantling the opposition’s defence.
Mark Hudson’s men will have very little opportunities to attack City’s goal and must take any chances that come their way. But with the likes of Victor Camarasa and Aaron Mooy out of the action, those opportunities may be few and far between.
Huddersfield vs Man City head-to-head (most recent first) Man City 6-1 Huddersfield, Man City 0-0 Huddersfield, Huddersfield 1-2 Man City, Man City 5-1 Huddersfield, Huddersfield 0-0 Man City
Huddersfield vs Man City match betting: score, best bet, top scorer
Predicted score: Man City to win 3-0, betting @ 125/1
The first of our Huddersfield vs Man City predictions and betting tips expect the Citizens to deliver Hudson with a defeat in his first game as the interim manager.
Given that the Terriers haven’t won a home league game against Man City since April 1988, there is a small chance of his tactic’s having a significant impact on the players prior to this weekend’s clash.
A disjointed Huddersfield side, without their manager and without a clear defensive strategy will be like blood in the water to what Benjamin Mendy calls the ‘Man City sharks’.
Considering that the Citizens have kept a clean sheet in 10 of their last 23 games against this weekend’s opponents, betting on Man City to emerge unscathed in our Huddersfield vs Man City predictions and betting tips is looking to be good value for money.
A stellar defensive setup, only bested by the Premier League leaders Liverpool, has so far only seen them concede 17 goals this season.
Facing a Steve Mounie-led attack, the chances of the Huddersfield attack deceiving the City defence is next to none.
Predicted scorer: Sergio Aguero our pick to score first @ 3/1
The last instalment of our Huddersfield vs Man City predictions forecasts the Argentinian to make it onto the score-sheet, considering that the John Smith stadium has been a happy hunting ground for him.
Indeed, Sergio Aguero has scored six goals in his last three appearances against this weekend’s opponents in all competitions, including a hat-trick in the reverse fixture.
Given the appropriate time and space in behind the back four and he will punish the Terriers defence ruthlessly and adeptly.
Huddersfield vs Man City stats: Opta
- Man City have conceded just nine goals in their last 13 league matches against Huddersfield, and never more than once in a match. In that run City managed to score more than that in one single game against the Terriers, winning 10-1 at Maine Road in November 1987.
- Huddersfield are on the longest current winless run in the Premier League, failing to win their last nine games in the competition (D1 L8).
- Manchester City have scored 19 goals in their last three games in all competitions – one more than Huddersfield have managed in their last 36 matches in all competitions (18).
- Among managers to have taken charge of at least 50 Premier League games, departing Huddersfield manager David Wagner has the second worst win percentage (18.3%), ahead only of Iain Dowie (16.9%).
- Man City striker Sergio Aguero has been involved in 23 goals in his last 13 Premier League games against teams starting the day in the relegation zone (20 goals, 3 assists), and has scored in each of his last six appearances against sides starting the day bottom.