By Anis Bazza
Last Updated: 20th August 2018
Sunday 19th August
Stadium: Etihad Stadium, Manchester
Live: Sky Sports Main Event
Man City vs Huddersfield odds
Pep Guardiola’s boys in blue got their title defence underway with a routine 2-0 victory over Arsenal at the Emirates stadium.
Up north, Huddersfield succumbed to savvy, sweeping ‘Sarriball’ and the Man City vs Huddersfield odds have the home side betting as huge favourites to claim all three points at 1/25 whilst a win for The Terriers is trading at a monstrous 40/1.
At 12/1, a tie at the Eithad should still not among your selection picks because this fixture has rout written all over it.
Man City vs Huddersfield odds | team news
The big news is that Manchester City announced Kevin De Bruyne picked up an injury in training on Wednesday evening with no time-line set on his return.
Huddersfield new boys Erik Durm and Isaac Mbenza are also not available for selection.
De Bruyne is likely to be replaced by David Silva who should be fit after missing City’s opening match. Manchester-born youngster Phil Foden’s odds of playing more football this season will be much higher given he plays in the same position as the Belgian.
Foden’s odds of scoring his first professional goal and open his Manchester City account against Huddersfield is trading at 11/5.
Viewers were attentive to Benjamin Mendy’s performance last weekend which saw the Frenchman operate in an inverted full-back-cum-midfielder role that proved too troublesome for Arsenal’s defenders to handle.
The 24-year-old has played only a handful of minutes since recovering from an ACL injury but started on the opening weekend and produced both goals in the City victory.
His buccaneering bombardment of the opposition’s right-hand side wreaked havoc and mayhem with Mendy showcasing the unique skill-set that prompted City to shell out £52m for last year.
Mendy to grab another assist against Huddersfield Town is a market pick that is likely to be inviting in the Man City vs Huddersfield odds.
For The Terriers, fresh-faced defender Terence Kongolo – who was deemed their best performer against Chelsea – and new goalkeeper Ben Hames are likely to keep their place when Wagner’s side visit the Etihad.
But will they be able to hold their nerve against a City side that swatted away Chelsea and the Gunners with a half-fit squad?
This fixture to see over 3.5 goals in the first half is currently betting at 13/2 and that is our prediction tip.
Head to head results
The two northern sides have clashed only four times since the year 2000 resulting in two wins for the Citizens and the rest goalless draws. The are usually low-scoring bouts but City did manage to hit the Terriers for five in 2017.
The last four head-to-heads read as so: Man City 0-0 Huddersfield, Huddersfield 1-2 Man City, Manchester City 5-1 Huddersfield, Huddersfield 0-0 Manchester City.
Take a look at our football accumulator tips and the advice we’re offering over there.
- Man City have failed to find the net in their last four home league meetings with Huddersfield. They’ve never gone five consecutive home league games without a goal vs a single opponent in their history.
- Huddersfield have lost five of their last seven opening games of a league campaign (won two), failing to score in each of those five defeats.
- Huddersfield have picked up just nine points from their last possible 36 in Premier League home games (won two, drawn three, lost seven), with the first game in this run being a 1-3 defeat against Chelsea last season.
- Manchester City are unbeaten in their last 10 opening Premier League fixtures (W9 D1), winning the last eight in a row.
- Man City’s last home league win against Huddersfield – and the last time they scored at home against them – was in a second division match in November 1987. It finished 10-1 to the Citizens, with three different players scoring hat-tricks.
- Manchester City attacker Raheem Sterling has now scored 50 Premier League goals, with his opener against Arsenal only his third from outside the box.
- Sterling has been directly involved in 12 goals in his last 12 Premier League appearances for the Citizens, scoring five and assisting seven.
- Bernardo Silva has scored five goals in his last seven Premier League starts for Manchester City after failing to score in his first nine.
Anis grew up supporting Manchester City but found joy and solace across Europe’s major football leagues. Increasingly passionate about NBA, he is interested in and has written extensively about different aspects of sport across the years, previously working at Sky Sports News and Sport360 newspaper in Dubai. He studied Journalism at University but spent a large portion of his academic years building City Watch instead - the largest independent Manchester City Twitter account and website.