By William Hill
Last Updated: 7th January 2020
Manchester City put Shakhtar to the sword in Kharkiv in the sides’ last Champions League outing and bound into their Etihad clash fresh from a 6-1 humbling of Southampton – but their recent home games in Europe suggest another romp won’t materialise.
Man City vs Shakhtar Donetsk: odds and Predictions
The match betting odds rate a victory for Pep Guardiola’s men as a foregone conclusion, trading at just 1/9, with the draw a 9/1 shot and the Ukrainians a whopping 20/1 projection to claim only their second UCL road win in 10 attempts.
However, despite the one-sided nature of the prices, our Man City vs Shakhtar Donetsk predictions and betting tips will be focused on the clash erring nearer the perfunctory end of the Citizens-success-scale than the extremes experienced by the Saints this weekend past.
The Miners’ lack of road chops in the Champions League, where they’ve lost seven of their last nine means all bar the most fanciful handicap betting picks are off the table, so we’ll be taking an alternative approach here. Scroll down to find out what it is.
Man City vs Shakhtar Donetsk head-to-head (most recent first): Shakhtar Donetsk 0-3 Man City, Shakhtar Donetsk 2-1 Man City, Man City 2-0 Shakhtar
Man City vs Shakhtar Donetsk predictions: correct score, best bet, scorer tips
Correct score/scorer prediction: Manchester City our pick to win 2-0 @ 6/1
City’s billing as a burgeoning European heavyweight inexorably closing in on their first Champions League victory is belied by a mostly moderate home record in the competition under Guardiola.
In 11 such outings under the tiki-taka tactician, the boys in sky blue have bagged two goals or less on eight occasions, including each of their last six and every group stage game last term.
The absence of Kevin De Bruyne, who suffered ligament damage in the EFL Cup victory over Fulham, will further serve to downgrade the hosts’ attacking threat level from interplanetary to merely nuclear.
Our Man City vs Shakhtar Donetsk predictions for correct score betting tips expects them to snap a three-match run of losses at home in the Champions League by besting Paulo Fonseca’s men in an identikit fashion to their win over the visitor’s last term.
The Ukrainians may have struck twice in Lyon in the previous matchweek, but that was only the third time they’ve avoided drawing a blank across their last 12 away games in the competition, including four bagels in six under current management.
Best bet: Man City to win to nil @ 7/10
Shakhtar’s attacking travails away from home in the Champions League have already been noted and City’s recent defensive record offers little encouragement they’ll bag at the Etihad.
The Mancunians’ home defeat to Lyon in the opening group game has been credited as the catalyst for a subsequent stingy streak that’s seen them ship just twice in 10 games across all competitions, including eight clean sheets.
Liverpool and Spurs were amongst the opposition shut out in that period and, while the likes of Junior Moraes and Taison should be respected, marshalling them should demand less of Aymeric Laporte and his supporting centre-half than Mohamed Salah or Harry Kane.
Goalscorer predictions: Bernardo Silva to score last, odds @ 13/2
City’s Silvas have been doing sterling work in the Champions League this term, bagging four of the club’s six group-stage goals between them, while Raheem has yet to contribute.
David is slightly longer in the betting, with the odds at 7/1, but his Portuguese namesake has equalled the 32-year-old’s two-goal haul despite playing less than half as many minutes.
Both of Bernardo’s strikes so far in the 2018/19 competition – against Lyon and Shakhtar – have been the last goal of proceedings too, making him our pick to score last in our Man City vs Shakhtar Donetsk predictions and betting tips.
Man City vs Shakhtar Donetsk stats: Opta
- Manchester City have won two of their three Champions League encounters with Shakhtar Donetsk, losing the other in December 2017.
- Shakhtar Donetsk have never won an away European match in England in seven attempts (W0 D1 L6) – in their most game there, they lost 0-2 to Man City.
- Shakhtar have lost seven of their last nine away Champions League matches (W1 D1), though they avoided defeat in their last away game at Lyon, drawing 2-2.
- Ukrainian sides have never won in England in 28 attempts in European competition (W0 D6 L22) – the last team to avoid defeat were Dynamo Kiev in March 2016 at the Etihad against Manchester City, a 0-0 draw.
- Since his Champions League debut for Man City in September 2011, only Sergio Aguero (33) has been involved in more goals for the Citizens than David Silva (15, 7 goals, 8 assists).
- 21 of Shakhtar’s last 22 away Champions League goals have been scored by Brazilian players; the last Brazilian to score at the Etihad against Man City in the competition was Roberto Firmino for Liverpool in April 2018.