By News Team
Last Updated: 7th January 2020
Arsenal were on the verge of drawing the fifth of their last seven league games against Huddersfield but a Torreira scissor kick was enough to seal the win. Up next is a visit to a Southampton side who lost their first game against Cardiff.
Southampton vs Arsenal: odds and predictions
Unai Emery’s charges are the betting favourites, trading at 88/100 to take all three points while the William Hill traders have priced up Southampton at a 29/10 pick for the victory.
A sharing of the spoils of war is betting at 14/5 but our Southampton vs Arsenal predictions reckon it will be a comfortable outing for the Gunners.
New coach Ralph Hasenhuttl said he took “positives” from his first game in charge as the size of his task was underlined by a defeat to lowly Cardiff City. After the game, Hasenhuttl said:
We never gave up today. I have seen some good things from my team but we made too many mistakes today. We know that we have a hard and long way ahead of us
Arsenal meanwhile showed grit and resilience midweek at a ground they have a notoriously poor record at. A 2-2 draw will have been viewed as a point won rather than two lost as the Gunner’s battle for Champions League qualification.
Forwards Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre Emerick Aubameyang are heavily fancied to score against Southampton with their anytime odds betting at a 19/20 tip.
Southampton vs Arsenal head-to-head: (most recent first) Southampton 3-2 Arsenal, Southampton 1-1 Arsenal, Southampton 0-2 Arsenal, Southampton 0-5 Arsenal, Southampton 2-0 Arsenal
Southampton vs Arsenal match betting: best bet and scorer tips
The first instalment of our Southampton vs Arsenal predictions and betting tips look to find value in a combined match result and both teams to score market.
For all their sins, their 1-0 defeat mid-week was the first time the Saints fired blanks in the league since October when they drew 0-0 against Newcastle.
That said, it shouldn’t be enough to deter Arsenal from taking all three points, having been so ruthless against lower league opposition in the league this season.
Arsenal’s number nine took to Twitter to retweet claims that he should’ve been awarded the goal that was given as a Marcos Rojo goal in the 2-2 draw with Manchester United.
The Frenchman makes up the second instalment of our Southampton vs Arsenal predictions given he’s been on a somewhat dry patch in front of goal.
With just two strikes in his past eight games, Lacazette has seen counterpart Aubameyang reign in the goals instead.
That said, the Frenchman has had to contend with less game time, playing a total sum of 115 minutes in his last three games. Lacazette should then start against the Saints and our betting projection is for him to climb back up the Premier League top scorer ladder, with the odds at 9/2.
Southampton vs Arsenal predictions: Opta Stats
- Southampton are winless in their last four games against Arsenal in all competitions (D1 L3), since a 2-0 victory in the League Cup quarter-final in November 2016.
- Arsenal have lost just two of their last 17 games against Southampton in the Premier League (W9 D6), with both of those defeats coming in 2015 with Ronald Koeman in charge of the Saints.
- Among teams they have faced at least five times in the Premier League, Southampton’s win percentage against Arsenal is their lowest against any opponent in competition history (15.8% – 38 games, six wins).
- Southampton’s Charlie Austin has scored in all four of his Premier League games against Arsenal. Only Raheem Sterling versus Bournemouth (6 games) has a better 100% record of scoring against a specific opponent in Premier League history.
- Arsenal boss Unai Emery has made more substitutions before the start of the second half of Premier League games than any other manager this season (14). The Gunners have also had their substitutes score a league-high eight goals in 2018-19.