By Anis Bazza
3rd December 2018
Pep Guardiola’s well-oiled sky blue machine continues to churn out wins and goals at a rate only Liverpool seem capable of keeping up with. Their midweek league clash sees them head South to visit a Watford side that sit bang in the middle of the Premier League table but without a win in four. Read on for our Watford vs Man City predictions and betting tips.
Watford vs Man City: Odds and Predictions
Manchester City visit Vicarage Road as the betting favourites, having been priced up by William Hill’s traders at a short 2/7. Watford meanwhile trade at 9/1 whilst a draw bets at a 9/2 pick.
Our Watford vs Man City predictions foresees nothing but a straight-forward victory for the Citizens who’ve won 6-0 and 5-0 on previous appearances at this ground.
The Champions are currently on a six game winning streak and sit two points clear of Liverpool at the top of the table, having beaten Tottenham and Manchester United since drawing with Liverpool in October.
Watford meanwhile have picked up just one point in their last four matches and had key midfielder Etienne Capoue sent off at the weekend as they lost 2-0 to Leicester.
Head-to-head record (most recent first): Manchester City 3-1 Watford, Watford 0-6 Manchester City, Watford 0-5 Manchester City, Manchester City 2-0 Watford, Watford 1-2 Manchester City.
Watford vs Man City predictions: correct score, best bet, scorer tips
Correct score: Manchester City to win 4-0, odds betting at 12/1
Watford have failed to defeat Man City on eight occasions in the Premier League and have lost their last six meetings. The first instalment of our Man City vs Watford prediction sees us back another heavy defeat for the Hornets.
Pep Guardiola’s men may have one eye on their weekend trip to Chelsea but it should be business as usual at a ground where they have enjoyed visiting in recent years. The Citizens have been electric this season and the staticians will tell you that no team – since Preston in the first ever football league campaign in 1888-89 – has ever had a better goal difference 14 games into a season than Manchester City (+37).
The Hornets meanwhile have struggled for form in recent weeks and there was no time for Javi Gracia to celebrate his new contract last week as his side fell to Leicester.
Our best bet for this matchup would be a result for Man City and four or more goals in the game, at sound odds of 6/5.
With 43 goals for in just 14 league games, the Sky Blues have outscored everybody else at an incredible rate.
Their six goals against aren’t bad either and another obvious bet would be City to win to nil with those odds betting at a 5/4 pick. However, we’re sticking with this slightly more appealing 6/5 wager.
With heavy back-to-back wins at this ground to follow up on, we reckon this is well worth punting on.
Goal-scorer tips: Aguero to score 2 or more, odds betting at 29/10
Sergio Aguero boasts a firm record against the Hornets having netted 10 times in just six appearances in all competitions.
He scored a hat-trick in this exact fixture last term and the final instalment of our Watford vs Man City predictions and tips back him to do near enough the same thing on Tuesday.
The Argentinian missed out against Bournemouth on the weekend and has seen Gabriel Jesus play more frequently in recent weeks. That said, he is still the main man going forward and can expect to start this fixture.
With a healthy return of 4.2 shots per game in the Premier League and 12 goals in all competitions this season already, Aguero to score 2 or more is a sound bet.
Watford vs Man City predictions: Opta stats:
- Watford are winless in their eight Premier League meetings with Man City, losing each of the last six in a row (D2).
- Manchester City have scored at least twice in their last eight meetings with Watford in all competitions, winning all eight by an aggregate score of 27-4.
- Manchester City’s last two away league games against Watford have seen them win 5-0 and 6-0 – the only team to score 5+ goals in three consecutive top-flight away games against an opponent is West Brom vs Birmingham, between December 1957 and April 1960.
- Watford have beaten the reigning champions at home in each of their last two Premier League campaigns, beating Leicester 2-1 in 2016-17 and Chelsea 4-1 last term.
- Manchester City are unbeaten in 13 away Premier League games, winning 10 and drawing three. In that run they’ve scored 30 goals, while conceding just five and never more than once in a match.
- Man City’s Raheem Sterling has had a hand in 14 goals in his 12 Premier League games this season (8 goals, 6 assists), more than any other player in the competition.
Anis grew up supporting Manchester City but found joy and solace across Europe’s major football leagues. Increasingly passionate about NBA, he is interested in and has written extensively about different aspects of sport across the years, previously working at Sky Sports News and Sport360 newspaper in Dubai. He studied Journalism at University but spent a large portion of his academic years building City Watch instead - the largest independent Manchester City Twitter account and website.